Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uni experience - us versus uk or ireland

uni experience - us versus uk or ireland

Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

karin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nicekarin_and_boys is just really nice
Default uni experience - us versus uk or ireland

Hello,
There was an earlier thread on this subject, but mostly dealing with the social experience. I would be interested in the academic experience and career options option to my boys, based on wther they attend uni in US or UK (or possibly Dublin, Ireland)

I think caleyjag had attended uni in both us and UK so might have some good input?

My boys are currently only 11 and 12. Both are quite math/science oriented, younger boy currently talks of becoming an architect, as he also likes building and designing things. Older boy really just wants to sign for arsenal right now, but I am sure as time wears on he might veer towards some other 'day job' options!

Currently deciding where we will live for the next 10 or 12 years, and the boys' education is a key issue. They have received most of their education in the U.S so should slot back in fine to middle school, we have just been back a year in UK.

I suppose the bottom line ques is, is a degree from the UK and from the US roughly equivalent? When I was in college (Trinity, Dublin) there seemed to be a perception that US college education was not as good - but as I say it may have only been a perception,

Thanks in advance for any input,
Karin.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uni experience - us versus uk or ireland

All going to boil down to where they go to study and what they actually study as to what would be best.

Some places might be better than others, but will they be able to get into place of choice and will you be able to afford it?

In the US it'll depend on your status, how long you've lived there in the state and the college for the rates.

In the UK, you've got to be resident for 3 years before starting to get UK rates or it'll be international rates, which can be a bit pricey, certainly for design courses, but generally still a lot cheaper than the US.

Product/Industrial design ain't quite as glamorous as it seems though, but Brunel, Loughborough, RCA etc are some of the best in the world for design, depending on the type of design.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also bear in mind that most qualifications, even if officially accredited for academic purposes, lose some "value" when taken outside the country of origin.

Also consider specific professional issues - is an architect's education from UK/Ireland recognised in the USA (state by state) or vice versa? It may or may not be. Usually it's better to get education in the same (developed) country in which there is intent to pursue a career.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:43 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Degrees from other countries aren't worth shit in the US
Old Apr 10th 2010, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Degrees from other countries aren't worth shit in the US
My husband has a PhD from the University of London and has been a professor for many years, a recent application for funding for one of his post-docs was adversely rated due to the post-doc (American) having a degree from a German university and my husband having "only been a professor in the US for 4 years".
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

Hi

I disagree i obtained a PhD in the Uk and as far as i am concerned it is worth more in the US. It depends very much on the field you are expecting to pursue a career. Your reply is too general

Julia
Los angeles
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mekadag
Hi

I disagree i obtained a PhD in the Uk and as far as i am concerned it is worth more in the US. It depends very much on the field you are expecting to pursue a career. Your reply is too general

Julia
Los angeles
Do you mean that US employers consider it to be more valuable? Or that you consider it to be better/more worthy than a US-obtained PhD? (and if so, I'm intrigued to hear why you feel this way).
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do you mean that US employers consider it to be more valuable? Or that you consider it to be better/more worthy than a US-obtained PhD? (and if so, I'm intrigued to hear why you feel this way).
Hello you Any progress?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

hi

In my experience my British PhD placed me in a better position in academy - in my field.

julia
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

princessyoga is an unknown quantity at this point

I have attended uni in all three places. I started my undergrad in America, then went for study abroad in Dublin and gained my BA (Hons) and MSc in Northern Ireland. My experience were that America was very general and more memorising things as opposed to developing concepts, thought, analytical and research skills. I struggled the first couple terms here as after 3 years in an American uni I knew a lot facts but couldn't put a forward an academic arguement. I thought uni down south and in the north of Ireland were pretty much on par. I thought US uni education didn't really prepare you for much. I think unless it a specific profession where you might have to do some extra study (eg law -I have friend who is US trained lawyer is now a solicitor in England. She had to to do extra study to qualify) they are pretty much the same value.

Another issue is the cost assuming you are residents in both countries. US uni far more expensive than the UK.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Hello you Any progress?
I came second in the recent job application/interview. Long story, I'm moving on to Plan B (keep looking, try again for next year).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I came second in the recent job application/interview. Long story, I'm moving on to Plan B (keep looking, try again for next year).
Awww!! so close huh? must be pretty frustrating for you, hope something comes up soon sweety

Usually happens when you least expect it
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:45 pm
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point

I graduated in the UK but spent a year on study abroad in the US.

Can't speak for the Arts but for Math/Computing your kids will learn more in a US university and get a more rounded education to boot.

I would say the academics are of a comparable standard but the UK tries to cram the same amount of material into a 10 week semester that the Americans address over 5 months.

Also be aware that if you shoot for an elite university in the Uk, the elite reputation is based on their research not their teaching. It is not uncommon to find researchers in class who can't teach very well. Not saying it doesn't happen in the USA as well but it's mitigated by the longer semester and the more customer focused tuition (Americans are very quick to remind the school how much they are paying in tuition fees).
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ihe

I would say the academics are of a comparable standard but the UK tries to cram the same amount of material into a 10 week semester that the Americans address over 5 months.
Lot of uni's were switching over to the semester system when I was at uni, a while back now...so this probably depends on where you study and what you study.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:19 am
ihe
Forum Regular

ihe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Lot of uni's were switching over to the semester system when I was at uni, a while back now...so this probably depends on where you study and what you study.
Very few if any Russell Group universities are doing that. Cambridge's term is 8 weeks, UCL 10. The whole idea is to cram the teaching into as small a window as possible so that they can get on with research for the rest of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.