Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Wikiposts

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:51 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Bloody hell - care to explain ??
The Ironpourer family:
Attached Thumbnails Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...-burka.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:52 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
I'm a little concerned for when we visit the UK next year. Myself and the kids will be going through the UK line and my Mrs will be going through the other one for foreign nationals.

If they choose to be silly buggers with her at Gatwick, how the hell will we know about it? I wonder if we can all go through together and show our UK passports while the wife shows her US one......?

Anyone ever had to split up at port of entry with the kids???
I'm thinking this through and trying to remember.....I know that when my husband and I came back together to Chicago, he went through the line with me (USCs and permanent residents). I believe that when we flew to Heathrow I had to go in the separate line, but I think I was able to see him the whole time since it was all in the same, large area. In fact, I believe that I was asked the purpose of my trip and I said that I was here visiting with my husband, and I pointed to him.

I haven't ever been to Gatwick so I don't know if you'd be within visual range of her or not. What passports do your children have?

~SG

Last edited by SecretGarden; Nov 25th 2006 at 1:55 am.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 1:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little concerned for when we visit the UK next year. Myself and the kids will be going through the UK line and my Mrs will be going through the other one for foreign nationals.

If they choose to be silly buggers with her at Gatwick, how the hell will we know about it? I wonder if we can all go through together and show our UK passports while the wife shows her US one......?

I would certainly go through passport control together. There is nothing stopping you and the kids going through the non-citizen line, though I'm not sure whether it would be okay for your USC wife to go with you through the EU line. But they usually have officials there to advise people who are unsure about which line to join.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:00 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

The Ironpourer family:
Ahh - it was prob the nunchuks that drew the attention of security.
Is it just me or does the person on the right have massive toes ??
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

We always go together. My children are little, I prefer that we stay together in case of any issue and so that we don't have to worry that the other is getting the third degree. Before we were married we went through separate queues and always met just after passport control, so that the first through could watch for the other.

Technically speaking if you are married then you can go through either line. I say technically as there are, naturally, some grumbles about this-my husband has been told (at LHR) that he's in the wrong queue and we've explained that the family is together and it's been fine. When returning to the US I usually ask the officer which queue they prefer us to join.

My children are usually asked, on both sides, for their names and ages. We've not had any trouble when travelling as a family.

Generally speaking we fly into Detroit and it's usually very easy. Two years ago Northwest built a new terminal and BA flights arrive there, too. This means that the POE/Passport control group manage fewer flights than the main international terminal, and they seem to be pretty organised.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
.......What passports do your children have?
They will have both US & UK.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Technically speaking if you are married then you can go through either line. I say technically as there are, naturally, some grumbles about this-my husband has been told (at LHR) that he's in the wrong queue and we've explained that the family is together and it's been fine. When returning to the US I usually ask the officer which queue they prefer us to join.

My children are usually asked, on both sides, for their names and ages. We've not had any trouble when travelling as a family.
I would certainly go through passport control together. There is nothing stopping you and the kids going through the non-citizen line, though I'm not sure whether it would be okay for your USC wife to go with you through the EU line. But they usually have officials there to advise people who are unsure about which line to join.

Thanks a lot for your responses.
I expect we will just check with the UK officials when we get there.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

They will have both US & UK.
Thieving little urchins!!!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:40 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Anyway - I suppose this is one advantage of flying here from Dublin - you go through immigration in Ireland and when you get to the US you just go straight to the baggage carousel.
Obviously you deal with the same ignorant douchebags that have been described on this thread (some real wankpots too) but for me anyway, at least if I ever got knocked back I could just jump on a bus and be home in a few hours, and to be honest I prob wouldn't be that bothered
After meeting Cathy, she came here on a 90 day VWP visit, then returned to Spain for a few weeks, then came back in on another VWP visit. On her 6th VWP entry to the US in about 2 years time she was singled out and not allowed entry due to "living in America without a visa". She had been waiting on her divoce to become finalized, which it finally was- but in Missouri where we were living at the time, it had to be final for 30 or 60 days before we could marry there (back then we didn't know about the "10 foot pole" and simply planned to marry here and file for a visa), so she had gone back one last time.
She was not allowed to call me, or anyone for several hours, was handcuffed and held in a locked office until finally a different Officer allowed her to call me and tell me she was being sent back. I even spoke to the guy who apologetically told me there was nothing he could do- she was going back on the next plane. A nightmare for her, and the beginning of our 1 year odessey to get a fiancee visa...which finally culminated in our marriage in Gibraltar and filing thru the DCF process in Madrid. All because allowing a 37 year old Spanish mother into the US for another 90 days presented such a huge threat to the security of the country....or maybe because some fat ass government witch liked to fu(k with people when she had a bad day.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:02 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

The Ironpourer family:
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

The division is probably largely a logistics thing; citizens of a particular country are allowed in with just a swipe of the passport, whilst non-citizens may require further questioning, paperwork-filling and stamping etc. A few extra seconds per person but the cumulative effect is a longer wait in the queue, which is probably why they divide you by nationality to keep a good 'flow', especially if a lot of flights arrive at once. But I would think there would be no problem with a non-citizen accompanying the rest of his/her family who are citizens of that country through 'their' line.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
You said:

Her experience in Newark was a nightmare, when she was denied entry and handcuffed and driven (sirens blaring) to another plane hours later...while the officers 'high fived' the fat bitch who 'caught' her.

Big Davy said:

I tried to make a joke. Oh, come on, it was a bit funny.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:27 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I haven't ever been to Gatwick so I don't know if you'd be within visual range of her or not. What passports do your children have?

~SG
You are, the immigration area isn't very big.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rushman
Thieving little urchins!!!
Yep, Artfull Dodger and 'Orrible Dodger.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
You are, the immigration area isn't very big.
Cheers. Ta . Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.