Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:59 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...

Originally Posted by gardnma
You said:

Her experience in Newark was a nightmare, when she was denied entry and handcuffed and driven (sirens blaring) to another plane hours later...while the officers 'high fived' the fat bitch who 'caught' her.

Big Davy said:

Bloody hell - care to explain ??

I tried to make a joke. Oh, come on, it was a bit funny.
No...maybe if she had been dressed in a Burka and able to claim an ethnic status, she might have been able to get Farrakam or Sharpton to intervene... hell, she's so light skinned, she still gets looked at funny when she checks the 'hispanic' box on forms.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ironporer
No...maybe if she had been dressed in a Burka and able to claim an ethnic status, she might have been able to get Farrakam or Sharpton to intervene... hell, she's so light skinned, she still gets looked at funny when she checks the 'hispanic' box on forms.

I don't check any. Do the "other" and if there's room, put down:

Green-eyed, Anglo-Saxon Devil.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:40 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
I don't check any. Do the "other" and if there's room, put down:

Green-eyed, Anglo-Saxon Devil.
Green eyed Iberian she devil perhaps...
Old Nov 26th 2006, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
Green eyed Iberian she devil perhaps...

a librarian sea-devil??
Attached Thumbnails Unfriendly, Suspicious, Arrogant...-seadevil.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2006, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I have never had any problems with IMOs... I went through Detroit airport 7 times within a year and had no probs... and that was visiting my then girlfriend... Was just honest about who I was going to see, how long for, what I would be doing, that I'd be going back etc etc. The first time though I just said "friend" and was asked "is it a girl" so I said "yes". Where do you meet etc etc. And he asked me if I was nervous. I replied "yes!" He said I didn't have to be, that I was coming from a country which had a good welfare system (you bet I thought!) and so I was ok to come in! After that time, a few questions but never any problems.

At Detroit, never saw anyone else have any problems either. Contrast that with LAX which I passed through a few years ago for work... Not me but a poor guy ahead of me didn't speak English so well and hadn't completed his visa waiver properly... "ARE YOU STOOPID? CAN'T YOU READ" was bellowed out by the IMO so just about everyone could hear. Really embarrassing.

I got talking to a guy at Detroit once - an English guy, and he said that since 9/11, they went from quite friendly to nasty. One time they took him in for questioning, held him for hours, saying he had overstayed previously... He hadn't and went to the embassy in London where he got a 10 year visa and a letter. However, even with this the IMOs still questioned him and weren't going to let him in. The embassy can say one thing, but it's up to the IMOs as the final decision.

Coming from the other side of the Atlantic, there have been a few stories recently where UK IMOs have sent US citizens back, so yes it works both ways.

Just my 4c worth (2p, but with current exchange rate applied )
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, it sucks.. you get told off for doing anything now

it doesn't take much to set off any of the immigration workers

forget to fill something out, stand in the wrong place.. anything is a stern look, loud voice, hand on gun type of thing

i definitely would not want to travel with kids who were not extremely well-behaved and people have to be able to avoid confrontation on the flight and airport.

Originally Posted by Ray
The land of the free has become the home of the rude thanks to the "arrogant" and "unpredictable" immigration officials who police its borders, according to a survey of travellers.

The nation that once welcomed all with its Statue of Liberty and declaration E Pluribus Unum (out of many, one) is now considered the world's most unfriendly. experts fear that rudeness is turning away the tourists
Visitors are staying away, costing the country billions of dollars in lost revenue, and the situation threatens America's already battered image, according to the group behind the survey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../22/wusa22.xml
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I would certainly go through passport control together. There is nothing stopping you and the kids going through the non-citizen line, though I'm not sure whether it would be okay for your USC wife to go with you through the EU line. But they usually have officials there to advise people who are unsure about which line to join.
My USC wife always goes through the EU line, with me and my 2 dual nat kids. They have always had their stamp for her US passport except on one occasion when she walked up to a non-EU desk on our way out. They are always very helpful.

You will be fine!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
My USC wife always goes through the EU line, with me and my 2 dual nat kids. They have always had their stamp for her US passport except on one occasion when she walked up to a non-EU desk on our way out. They are always very helpful.

You will be fine!

Cheers, ta, thanks, ah!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:40 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moving?

I got talking to a guy at Detroit once - an English guy, and he said that since 9/11, they went from quite friendly to nasty. One time they took him in for questioning, held him for hours, saying he had overstayed previously... He hadn't and went to the embassy in London where he got a 10 year visa and a letter. However, even with this the IMOs still questioned him and weren't going to let him in. The embassy can say one thing, but it's up to the IMOs as the final decision.
I tried to enter the States the day after 9/11, at the Detroit land crossing. I had a B1/B2 Multiple entry visa. That was probably the worst I've ever seen them, literally shouting and screaming at people. As it happens they wouldn't let me in and sent me and another bloke who'd married a USC in the UK back to Canada in a Taxi (His wife went with him). The Canadians even gave the Taxi driver a hard time.