British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Unemployment benefits? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/unemployment-benefits-633541/)

jackattack Oct 1st 2009 4:23 pm

Unemployment benefits?

So sadly it looks like I'm not going to be able to land a new job with my company and I'm wondering if there is any unemployment benefits I can get or if I just have to tell the husband to earn more?

I am a green card holder and have been working for a very well known Fortune 100 company for 4 years. I moved to China (cos husband's job moved to China) last year for 12 months and managed to get a job with my company in the China office. I was employed out of the China office and was paid in RMB and got China benefits (which quite frankly were worth nothing) instead of US benefits.

Husband got relocated back to California in May and I moved back with him. My boss in China gave me 4 months to try and find a new job back here in Bay Area with our company but I've not managed to do that. So it looks now like I have to leave. Technically I am breaking the contract since I'm not turning up to my job in the China office every day (i've been working remotely).

I doubt that I can get any unemployment contributions from my company since they didn't make me redundant or fire me; is there anything that I can get from the state? I have been earning a decent salary in California for 5 years prior to moving to China.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Rete Oct 1st 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Unemployment benefits?

Look for a job with a different Fortune 500 company?

I doubt that you qualify for unemployment benefits as you left of your own free will.

jackattack Oct 1st 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah

I figured as much. I'll probably end up going back to the same company (love it there). It's just not the best time to be looking for a job right now. I wanted to know if there was any way I could get any kind of government assistance in the interim since I seem to have paid a crazy amount to the government over the last few years. That'll teach me to live in California. Ha.

I'll hang in there and still tell the hubbie to earn more.

Cheers

Jackattack

Elvira Oct 1st 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 7981319)
Yeah

I figured as much. I'll probably end up going back to the same company (love it there). It's just not the best time to be looking for a job right now. I wanted to know if there was any way I could get any kind of government assistance in the interim since I seem to have paid a crazy amount to the government over the last few years. That'll teach me to live in California. Ha.

I'll hang in there and still tell the hubbie to earn more.

Cheers

Jackattack

Plus there's always the "tightening one's belt" option:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tight.../dp/0375752250

Good luck! :)

penguinsix Oct 1st 2009 5:22 pm

If you left voluntarily then no. In addition, unless your specific employer was paying contributions (which is unlikely if they are based overseas) than you are probably out of luck. Your previous contributions won't help.

But you can file anyway and see what happens. Won't hurt.

Bob Oct 1st 2009 5:24 pm

Unemployment is a insurance....how you claim it depends on the state, some will allow you to claim it if your employer reduces your wage/salary/hours causing you to leave for instance.

Doesn't sound like you'll be able to get it though if the employer hasn't been contributing to it in the US for you.

Moonshadow_Girl Oct 1st 2009 7:59 pm

Apply anyways. Relocating with your husband is a viable reason to qualify for unemployment. The worst California can tell you is, "No." Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You won't be any worse off for asking.

E3only Oct 1st 2009 8:52 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, I personally know someone from LA who are claiming unemployment benefits. They have to prove they are applying and not finding work.

This is state unemployment benefit btw. Could be wrong completely.

Bob Oct 2nd 2009 12:03 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 7981846)
Correct me if I am wrong, I personally know someone from LA who are claiming unemployment benefits. They have to prove they are applying and not finding work.

This is state unemployment benefit btw. Could be wrong completely.

most states are like that, got to fill in a form saying youv'e applied to at least 4 companies a week with different methods or whatever the exact requirement is for the state.

E3only Oct 2nd 2009 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7982213)
most states are like that, got to fill in a form saying youv'e applied to at least 4 companies a week with different methods or whatever the exact requirement is for the state.

Yip - answers one part of OP's original Q then..