Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefit entitlement?

Unemployment benefit entitlement?

Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefit entitlement?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, certainly understand about the part where the company can't dictate how you work.

I love working for myself, but at times I have to admit that it would be nice if I got paid for a sick day or had paid vacation time! And all those expenses that lower our gross reported income may lower our taxes, but they also lower the amount that social security will be predicated upon eventually.
I am very fortunate my guys pay me for vacation and they leave me alone I do not log in or out remotely and a sick day is never deducted so I am on a good wicket really!!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

I have a couple of friends who got the short end of the stick by being independent contractors, one a musician, one a dog groomer. No foresight to plan for retirement and spent all their extra cash gained by being ICs. Now older, the musician gets less than $500 mo SS, the other will likely not even get that. So sad.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

$500 is similar to the UK State Pension.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
$500 is similar to the UK State Pension.
Don't they get extra help to survive though? They don't just starve on the street like they would here.

Last edited by aviva; Jan 20th 2011 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I have a couple of friends who got the short end of the stick by being independent contractors, one a musician, one a dog groomer. No foresight to plan for retirement and spent all their extra cash gained by being ICs. Now older, the musician gets less than $500 mo SS, the other will likely not even get that. So sad.
This is depends on a few factors its based on your past income and deductions, we pay on net income plus if you are married or even divorced it does not have to be $500 and very very rarely is if you have paid all contributions per IRS there is a page on the SS website which will allow you to see just what you are or will be intitled to when the big day arrives.

I know folk that have been divorced years over in the US and they can still add to the money pot from past marriages
Its cool having a CPA as a roomie I get loads of info and tips
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Interesting! But I wonder if, had you lived 15 minutes down the road, it would be looked upon differently? And did you forgo benefits by taking that choice? This is purely surmise, but as you work remotely, I wonder if that makes a difference in the IRS's view of your situation.
The IRS could care less. It is the Department of Labor as well as state agencies that is in charge of enforcement. However funding for enforcement labor laws at the federal level has been greatly reduced over the past 30 years.

In the 1950s-1970s it was quite common for the federal government to sue large corporations for breaking labor laws (primarily assigning exempt status to employees and discrimination).

Now it seems that the government stays out of the fray and employees file class action lawsuits against companies (eg. Microsoft, IBM, Walmart, etc.).
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am very fortunate my guys pay me for vacation and they leave me alone I do not log in or out remotely and a sick day is never deducted so I am on a good wicket really!!
Green with jealousy!!! But we both get to work fresh from the shower in our bath towels!!!

By the way I'm signed up for an annual leaflet that gives me an update on my ss situation. It's called "Your Social Security Statement" and i think you can sign up for it at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The IRS could care less. It is the Department of Labor as well as state agencies that is in charge of enforcement. However funding for enforcement labor laws at the federal level has been greatly reduced over the past 30 years.
I bow to your knowledge, but in the early 1990s I had a client who had such concerns and cited an IRS audit as the genesis of their worries. But things do change . . .
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Don't they get extra help to survive though? They don't just starve on the street like they would here.
indeed...get quite a huge discount on council tax, heating and other utilities, my old dear even had her house completely re-insulated for free, that and free or next to free bus travel etc...oh and proper OAP discounts that actually amount to something in shops etc is quite nice.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
indeed...get quite a huge discount on council tax, heating and other utilities, my old dear even had her house completely re-insulated for free, that and free or next to free bus travel etc...oh and proper OAP discounts that actually amount to something in shops etc is quite nice.
My old man does not get anything on heating, the only grant on insulation seems 300 quid maybe.

I did his shopping, nothing there, and bus yes but he does not go anywhere.