British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   undocumented workers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/undocumented-workers-740469/)

deerhunter74 Nov 29th 2011 11:49 pm

undocumented workers

i was just interested are there a lot of folks in the usa who are working without papers which state's have high numbers of undocumented workers what type of work do these people carry out are these people entitled to health care is it a major debate with political parties

Bob Nov 30th 2011 12:13 am

Re: undocumented workers

Why?

And how undocumented do you mean?

There are plenty of illegal workers here, some came over on some kind of visa and over stayed, others who did that were able to work initially but continues when authorisation ended. Then there are those who slinged over the border un-inspected.

They were anywhere and everywhere. Cash in hand picking fruit/veg, manual labour on construction. Even doing regular work, using someone else's identity to fill in the I-9 requirement.

ljaw2002uk Nov 30th 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by deerhunter74 (Post 9761581)
i was just interested are there a lot of folks in the usa who are working without papers which state's have high numbers of undocumented workers what type of work do these people carry out are these people entitled to health care is it a major debate with political parties

I think a conservative estimate is 12m, but it is probably a lot higher. The border states e.g AZ, CA, NM have more than most, but any large city will have a significant illegal immigrant population.

As for "entitled to health care" I don't understand what you mean. It's fairly unlikely that your average illegal is paying health insurance, or receiving it through an employer, so no?.....

md95065 Nov 30th 2011 1:30 am

probably don't know lots of different things some of them yes by the way do you know how irritating it is when people just string together a stream of words without any punctuation makes it really difficult to understand what it is they are trying to say

ian-mstm Nov 30th 2011 3:31 pm

You should feel free, in future posts, to actually use punctuation to improve the readability of your posts. I, being well educated, can figure out what you've said... but others will simply dismiss your post as nothing more than an annoyance!

Ian

SanDiegogirl Nov 30th 2011 5:57 pm

You asked this very same question on the Canada forum.

Do you have a particular (peculiar?) interest in this subject?

One which I might add has been discussed to death.

discoviking Dec 1st 2011 1:58 am

what type of work do these people carry out

I doubt you will find any in a Gentleman's Club. I can assure you that all the exotic, foreign women working in those places have O visas.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 1st 2011 4:28 am

All the ones I know are Heavy Plant Operators, mainly from the Philippines.

ian-mstm Dec 1st 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 9763865)
All the ones I know are Heavy Plant Operators, mainly from the Philippines.

I didn't think poppies weighed that much!

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 1st 2011 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9764469)
I didn't think poppies weighed that much!

Ian

I remember when I first came over having that issue when trying to rent a 'tool'.

Which sounded worse to me.