Reload this Page >

Undecided......

Wikiposts

Undecided......

Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Undecided......

I am very undecided if we should go ahead with our move to US or not. It seems a good job opportunity for my hubby but the more I read about E2 visa , expensive catholic schools, hot climate and hurricanes the less I feel like going.
With this E2 visa what happens if my hubby gets permanent position from his american employer? Now he has been offered to go to work on a contract from an agency that is organising everything for us . But when his position becomes permanent are we still ok being there on that E2 visa?
Why can't we apply for green card as the time goes on? What happens if we want to stay there lets say for 10 years by which time my older one will be 20 and wants to do some student work? Can you extend it indefinitely. Is it easy to extend?

I am too scared to make any decisions.
Help.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Undecided......

I have just read on BBC on that latest storm in southern states of US. You see, this is what I mean by saying that I am undecided if we should stay or go.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nottinghill
I have just read on BBC on that latest storm in southern states of US. You see, this is what I mean by saying that I am undecided if we should stay or go.
I don't know about the visas - if your husband is skilled, and a company wants him, generally they find a way to get him a visa. I'm sure some other folks who know more will answer you for that part.

But I'm a yank, lived here all my life.

I wouldn't worry too much about the storms - unless you're going to be right on the coast, which Dallas isn't. Thinking... I'm don't think Dallas even gets hurricanes.

My best friend lives in Florida. Yes there are storms. But in the 25 years she's lived there (and she's on the coast), they've had their roof clobbered once.

If you were nearer a coast, where a hurricane could hit, you might have to worry about your possessions. Generally, people have plenty of warning and can get out of the way.

But again, I don't really think this is a consideration in Dallas (someone else can contradict me, but I don't think so).

There is a possibility of tornadoes in the US - but I live in such an area, and have never seeon one (and I'm not that young ).

Thunderstorms are cool - great sound and light show, don't generally hurt anything unless you're silly enough to stand on a prairie with a tv antenna on your head.

Seriously, unless you are living right on the ocean, or maybe in Oklahoma where the most tornadoes are, I really wouldn't let the occasional storm worry you that much.

Actually, lol, of all the whinging I hear about the US on this forum, I've never heard a single whinge about storms. So that must say something
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:11 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Storms will be the least of your worries, as they come rarely and usually with a bit of warning or even sirens. And you are in Dallas which isn't really a hurricane area (it might rain a bit).

But there are other issues that you should consider. Cultural issues, missing family, homesickness--those are things you will face every day. I think this messageboard is filled with people trying to come to terms with some of those issues. I'd suggest going through the WIKI up above for a few more insights into your move.

As for the E2--lots of answers here.

http://faq.visapro.com/E2-Investor-Visa-FAQ.asp
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I am very undecided if we should go ahead with our move to US or not. It seems a good job opportunity for my hubby but the more I read about E2 visa , expensive catholic schools, hot climate and hurricanes the less I feel like going.
With this E2 visa what happens if my hubby gets permanent position from his american employer? Now he has been offered to go to work on a contract from an agency that is organising everything for us . But when his position becomes permanent are we still ok being there on that E2 visa?
Why can't we apply for green card as the time goes on? What happens if we want to stay there lets say for 10 years by which time my older one will be 20 and wants to do some student work? Can you extend it indefinitely. Is it easy to extend?

Help.
I would be scared too. It is clear from your post that you do not have a clear idea of what you would be letting yourself in for. "offered to go to work on a contract from an agency that is organising everything for us" makes all kinds of alarm bells go off in my head.

The E2 does not allow for permanent residency, ever. And I can't think of a visa that you could easily switch to. Have you not consulted an experienced immigration attorney to explore where all this might be heading in terms of immigration - which is a minefield.

And your kids will be in a very difficult situation. They could stay on as students, but the out-of-state fees would be steep. Plus, not being allowed to work is really, really tough on teenagers.

Once they turn 21, or leave college, they would have to leave the US unless they qualified for some visa in their own right.

What exactly are you hoping to gain from this move?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:05 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Help.
As Elvira said, schools and tornadoes are the least of your worries.

I'm pretty sure that your husband is about to get into a very bad visa situation. Everything you've told us so far tells me that he's handing over money to a company or "agency" on the promise of being able to work in the US. Perhaps I'm wrong. I suggest you outline more details of what this "agency" has promised you and your husband in a separate thread in the Immigration forum, where you'll get some good advice.

Oh, and talk to an immigration lawyer!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:46 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read this:
http://www.thefloridaforums.com/foru...p?topic=6601.0

Written by someone who has an E2, you'll see a lot of the pitfalls involved.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the useful info. We are going there based on an agency applying for E2 for us after a US firm has offered to hire my hubby for 10 months, as a skilled worker. We are hoping for longer term because of our children having to get onto the Texas school system. The company is very likely to offer my other half a permanent job after 6 months but the path beyond that point looks very unclear, especially for our children.
Where do we go from there? Are the any reasons why an employer might be reluctant to apply for labour certificate for my hubby which I think is necessary if we want to apply for a greencard.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the useful info. We are going there based on an agency applying for E2 for us after a US firm has offered to hire my hubby for 10 months, as a skilled worker. We are hoping for longer term because of our children having to get onto the Texas school system. The company is very likely to offer my other half a permanent job after 6 months but the path beyond that point looks very unclear, especially for our children.
Where do we go from there? Are the any reasons why an employer might be reluctant to apply for labour certificate for my hubby which I think is necessary if we want to apply for a greencard.
I am no expert but are you sure its an E2? That doesn't sound right as that is an investment visa - could it be an EB2?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Something is not right here. The E2 is an investor's visa. There is *no* path from an E2 to a GC anyway.

You absolutely, definitely need to consult with a qualified immigration attorney before you go any further with this.

You may be able to do this over the phone and pay by CC. Check www.aila.com for a few names. Some of the larger firms like Murthy and Schusterman have their own websites. Make some telephone enquiries.

But, whatever you do, do *not* rely on what either this agency or your husband's prospective employer are telling you.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
I am no expert but are you sure its an E2? That doesn't sound right as that is an investment visa - could it be an EB2?
An E-2 can also be obtained as a manager visa ...
But not thru an agency
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of work is it? Is it offering something your husband can't do in the UK? Could he just go for the 6 months and use that experience to improve his status back in Britain? On what you've said, I'd be wary of a complete move to the US.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:39 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy

You can get E2 employee visas, for managerial positions. But, the company has to be registered as a Treaty Investor and the principle investor of the company has to be of the same nationality as the E2 employee. So a US owned firm cannot bring over employees from another country and use the E2.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others, things like storms are the least of your problems. Getting the wrong kind of visa now can cause you all kinds of trouble later. If you want to have even a chance of a successful relocation you need to do a lot more research. And I don't just mean asking a few questions here. Check out the wiki as well as wikipedia itself since that has a lot of good info too on immigration.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We are going there based on an agency applying for E2 for us after a US firm has offered to hire my hubby for 10 months, as a skilled worker.
Why not just have hub come over and take the 10 month assignment. The family could learn more in the mean time, come over to visit, see the lay of the land and how you like things and THEN decide?

I know it's not a picket fence perfect world, but my parents did things like this a couple/few times over the years, and my family isn't TOO damaged.

And enough of us here have been curious about this very unusual visa situation.. doesn't it make you want to ask more questions about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.