Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unblock i-Phone?

Unblock i-Phone?

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:27 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unblock i-Phone?

So I'm trying to tie up loose ends in preparation to the Big Move Back Home, one of which being my iPhone.

It seems that, even though my 2-year contract is about to expire, AT&T are not prepared to unlock.

I'm just wondering whether anyone here has succeeded in getting them to unlock - or found another way.

Or might it be easier to get it done once I'm back on my home turf?

Failing that, what's the 2nd-hand value of a 2-year old i-Phone...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unblock i-Phone?

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
I'm just wondering whether anyone here has succeeded in getting them to unlock - or found another way.
IIRC, one of my coworkers got her iPhone unlocked by contacting someone who advertised the service on eBay. She sent the phone and a nominal fee, and got it back a week later! I'll note, that she didn't pay for the phone (it was given to her by employer) so she may be more comfortable than you might be doing the same thing.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
So I'm trying to tie up loose ends in preparation to the Big Move Back Home, one of which being my iPhone.

It seems that, even though my 2-year contract is about to expire, AT&T are not prepared to unlock.

Or might it be easier to get it done once I'm back on my home turf?

Failing that, what's the 2nd-hand value of a 2-year old i-Phone...
we told at&t about going overseas and they unlocked our phones, we didnt have an iphone though
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:10 am
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag View Post
we told at&t about going overseas and they unlocked our phones, we didnt have an iphone though
They'll unblock ordinary phones but not i-Phones.

bastards
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:51 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sell the locked phone on ebay before you leave. Buy a new one and a new contract when you get home (note: iPhone 5 is due out in less than 2 months). You may have to live without a smartphone for a month or so but you'll have a new phone, with a new warranty, on a new service plan for the next year or so.

In the end probably the best option. You'll probably get a few hundred for your current phone which you can use to offset the cost of the new one.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:08 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, iPhone5 is due out mid Sept and word is too that T-mobile is going to also carry them then; there are still bugs to sort out.

There are people on CL and ebay who'll unlock phones; I've always bought replacement phones on CL etc so that I don't renew a contract (last one I've ever had was about 10 years ago)
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

CandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really niceCandK is just really nice

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
Sell the locked phone on ebay before you leave. Buy a new one and a new contract when you get home (note: iPhone 5 is due out in less than 2 months). You may have to live without a smartphone for a month or so but you'll have a new phone, with a new warranty, on a new service plan for the next year or so.

In the end probably the best option. You'll probably get a few hundred for your current phone which you can use to offset the cost of the new one.
agreed...and not to mention that phone contracts are cheaper in the UK...along with the fact that you may be able to get an iPhone in the UK for free if you get the right contract.

Just sell it is my opinion.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for selling it here, then buying another one in the UK. AT&T will not unlock an iPhone and usually spouts BS about it not being possible (which isn't really true, I have an officially unlocked O2 iPhone 3GS...).
Old Aug 5th 2011, 1:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't seem right that AT & T won't unlock the phone at contracts end. I believe if you have a iPhone with O2 in the UK they will unlock a phone if you are at the end of a contract with them. They even provide a page for it.

Doesn't help you Elivra though ... sorry. I just thought it was interesting that O2 did it.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Doesn't seem right that AT & T won't unlock the phone at contracts end.
It's AT&T. Reality doesn't need to apply in this case.

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I believe if you have a iPhone with O2 in the UK they will unlock a phone if you are at the end of a contract with them. They even provide a page for it.

Doesn't help you Elivra though ... sorry. I just thought it was interesting that O2 did it.
They do unlock it, and it's a completely painless process as well. Or at least it was for my when I unlocked my PAYG iPhone.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

3g and 4g work differently in the UK than they do in the US so it's kinda pointless to take it with you unless you just want to use is on gsm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ja5on View Post
3g and 4g work differently in the UK than they do in the US so it's kinda pointless to take it with you unless you just want to use is on gsm.
iPhones are 3G, not 4G.

AT&T also happens to use the same GSM 3G frequencies that are being used in Europe; however T-Mobile doesn't and you're right, an iPhone will just work in 2G mode on T-Mobile.

The odd one out are the Verizon iPhones as they're CDMA and basically won't work on a GSM network.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Also if you know your way around a computer well enough you can unlock it yourself.....I've done that with many phones in the past and a quick look on google came up with a few sites that tell you how to do it. I didn't take the time to read through all the instructions but they look like they are correct.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post

AT&T also happens to use the same GSM 3G frequencies that are being used in Europe...
Can you elaborate ... ATT uses 800 and 1900 in the US, while Europe uses 900 and 1800, for core GSM services. All GSM-based iPhones (that is, all but the latest 'Verizon' (CDMA) iPhones) support all four GSM bands (800, 900, 1800, 1900). Are you saying that US and Europe share the same frequencies for the 3G (data) component of the signal? That's news to me (but I'm not up to speed on cellular data).

To the OP - just have a friend 'jail-break' it. Yes, it voids the warranty/etc, but it's very straight forward and should achieve what you are looking for.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 6th 2011 at 6:52 am.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW -- I have a BlackBerry 9800 [Torch] with AT&T. For a recent trip to Costa Rica, I called AT&T to unlock it for travel abroad. At first they said "no problem" and then said that since I had my contract for less than a year, the answer went to a simple "no." Google being my friend, I paid $19.95 and got an unlock code and instructions. It then was unlocked.

[It worked as a phone on a chip from "ICE" in Costa Rica. However, the only place for a non-resident to get a SIM is at the airport before leaving customs. As of late, ICE no longer enable data inasmuch as the tourists were apparently overtaxing the system -- so my phone worked but was quite "stupid."]