Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable

Unbelievable

Old Nov 19th 2005, 2:17 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unbelievable

Originally Posted by basementwaj
standing in the street and holding your coat open and jumping in the air to see how far you can fly! (sorry, flashback to childhood!)
You must have been posh ..... we always dreamed of having a coat

Could never understand why people went to Florida .... must be good to be a plywood salesman though. I'll stick to tornado's in the middle of the night and hiding in the basement
Old Nov 19th 2005, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
You must have been posh ..... we always dreamed of having a coat

Could never understand why people went to Florida .... must be good to be a plywood salesman though. I'll stick to tornado's in the middle of the night and hiding in the basement
For us it was called "Work". However I agree I dont understand why so many Brits want to emigrate here for the weather.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I will take a hurricane over an earthquake/tornado any day.

At least with a 'cane, you've got a few days' notice.

Not so with quakes and tornadoes, most of which kill hundreds if not thousands of people, as opposed to most 'canes killing a handful in the States anyway, most times.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 9:41 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cutina
they name them in alphabetical order per year, what happened to all the rest?
For some reason and don't ask mw which they don't use all the letters in the alphabet
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:00 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Alright its not unbeleivable. Infact its all too beleivable. I was merely expressing my incredulity over it. But frankly bollox to you and enjoy your snow storms for the next few months.
Ahem. Just the Santa Ana winds to contend with here. Don't lose your hat.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:00 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
.........with quakes and tornadoes, most of which kill hundreds if not thousands of people, as opposed to most 'canes killing a handful in the States anyway, most times.
Incorrect.

Earthquakes

Hurricanes

Shame that

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Nov 20th 2005 at 12:03 am.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Incorrect.
Whats incorrect? Hurricanes dont kill many people in the states normally....stupidity is what kills most. Like staying in a flood zone after a madatory evac order or going out and poking the downed power lines or having a BBQ in the front room. Still you cant beat a bit of chlorine in the human gene pool now and again.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:39 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Whats incorrect? Hurricanes dont kill many people in the states normally....stupidity is what kills most. Like staying in a flood zone after a madatory evac order or going out and poking the downed power lines or having a BBQ in the front room. Still you cant beat a bit of chlorine in the human gene pool now and again.
Can't say I've been around long enough to say what the combined factors are. Have you?

Anyway, I've done the math for you. Since 1776 there have been 19,174 deaths in the US attributed to hurricanes. Since 1811 there have been 4025 deaths attributed to earthquakes (tsunamis included). So, you are suggesting that the 15,000 discrepancy is due to stupidity?

Just to add those figures do NOT include Hurricane Katrina.

FYI: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/WWW...urr_Death.html