British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Unbelievable (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/unbelievable-338237/)

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 8:40 pm

Unbelievable

Well, with the after effects of WILMA still very much in evidence all round here we now have GAMMA due to arrive here on Monday. At the moment looking like a strong tropical storm but with plenty of potential to develop to hurricane status in the meantime. The center track is identical to WILMA's which means we get the brunt here again:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...204548W_sm.gif

On the bright side theres bugger all trees left here to come down.

anotherlimey Nov 18th 2005 8:49 pm

Re: Unbelievable

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well, with the after effects of WILMA still very much in evidence all round here we now have GAMMA due to arrive here on Monday. At the moment looking like a strong tropical storm but with plenty of potential to develop to hurricane status in the meantime. The center track is identical to WILMA's which means we get the brunt here again:

Excellent. Here's to the power going out - hopefully - and more days off work. :beer::beer::beer:

Ray Nov 18th 2005 9:20 pm

Keep telling people ..never live south of Tampa ...

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Excellent. Here's to the power going out - hopefully - and more days off work. :beer::beer::beer:

Power out is pretty much a given. A light breeze tends to down the transformers round here.

Originally Posted by Ray
Keep telling people ..never live south of Tampa ...

14 days and counting

neil Nov 18th 2005 9:35 pm

Why is it unbelievable exactly? You do live in an area where it's not exactly unknown.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by neil
Why is it unbelievable exactly? You do live in an area where it's not exactly unknown.

Alright its not unbeleivable. Infact its all too beleivable. I was merely expressing my incredulity over it. But frankly bollox to you and enjoy your snow storms for the next few months.

basementwaj Nov 18th 2005 10:09 pm

Alright its not unbeleivable. Infact its all too beleivable. I was merely expressing my incredulity over it. But frankly bollox to you and enjoy your snow storms for the next few months.

look on the bright side... there are people in the world that are burdoned by the fact they cannot fly kites! you could have a great time flying kites... sailing....wind surfing.... standing in the street and holding your coat open and jumping in the air to see how far you can fly! (sorry, flashback to childhood!)

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 18th 2005 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj
look on the bright side... there are people in the world that are burdoned by the fact they cannot fly kites! you could have a great time flying kites... sailing....wind surfing.... standing in the street and holding your coat open and jumping in the air to see how far you can fly! (sorry, flashback to childhood!)

Actually the surf during Katrina and Wilma was great. The main problem with the jumping in the air bit is the avoiding flying palm trees etc.

basementwaj Nov 18th 2005 10:15 pm

Actually the surf during Katrina and Wilma was great. The main problem with the jumping in the air bit is the avoiding flying palm trees etc.

bugger

cutina Nov 18th 2005 10:58 pm

they name them in alphabetical order per year, what happened to all the rest?

Rete Nov 18th 2005 11:07 pm

I'm in the NYC area so our snowstorms are minor. But even so 5 inches of that darn white stuff can paralyze the city. But I will take snowstorms over hurricanes and tornadoes. It is unusual though for the gulf coast of florida to get hit so often in one year. But then again it is unbelievable that all the gulf states were hit not once but twice this season by hurricanes.

Elvira Nov 18th 2005 11:12 pm

Well, with the after effects of WILMA still very much in evidence all round here we now have GAMMA due to arrive here on Monday.

I guess you could always move to Alaska. :D

Or perhaps not... :)

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 19th 2005 12:44 am

Originally Posted by cutina
they name them in alphabetical order per year, what happened to all the rest?

They already happened thats what.... This is the 24th named storm this year.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 19th 2005 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
I guess you could always move to Alaska. :D

Or perhaps not... :)

Ahhhh. I'll pass.

Thydney Nov 19th 2005 2:57 am

Originally Posted by basementwaj
standing in the street and holding your coat open and jumping in the air to see how far you can fly! (sorry, flashback to childhood!)

I could only do that when me mum shouted me for my dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner well you get the idea.