the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Wikiposts

the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Following the raid by Israeli Commandos in the Bekaa Valley last night, Kofi Annan was reported as being a little miffed and said he may stamp his feet.
Is that UN speak for disaming the Hezbo's.

Jumped up civil servant anyway.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
FatBrit

I don't understand either of your points this time and you were doing so well

Are you actually saying we (Britain) should not have gone to war with Germany - really? SHould we have left Poland to it? I guess less people may have died but really, is this how you think?
Red-tinted specs - don't you just love them
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Given (i) the already demonstrated lethal contempt Israel has for UN forces, and (ii) the fact that the US will veto almost any security council resolution on Israel's conduct regardless of what said conduct consists of, who can blame countries for being reticent about supplying soldiers for this mission?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:25 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Following the raid by Israeli Commandos in the Bekaa Valley last night, Kofi Annan was reported as being a little miffed and said he may stamp his feet.
Isn't he such a dip shxt that Kofi ? Now he using this to blame the possible end to the cease fire might occur - WHEN in FACT one of his OWN (UN) MAJOR conditions is NOT even close to being met ; AKA - 15,000 foreign UN force made up currently of just 49 French fries in a tractor
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:28 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Given (i) the already demonstrated lethal contempt Israel has for UN forces, and (ii) the fact that the US will veto almost any security council resolution on Israel's conduct regardless of what said conduct consists of, who can blame countries for being reticent about supplying soldiers for this mission?
Like I said, the UN is made up mostly of a bunch of cowards..... shame on them. Unanimous UN vote to send in 15,000 troops. 14,951 to go
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:09 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, the UN is made up mostly of a bunch of cowards..... shame on them.(
The UN is its member nations. And foremost among these are the US and UK.

I don't understand your rant. If you're ranting for reforming the UN, many will be with you. If you're ranting for disbanding the UN, what are you going to replace it with? If you're just ranting because it's a convenient scapegoat, you simply don't understand how the UN works and have been watching too much Fux. Which is it?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:09 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, the UN is made up mostly of a bunch of cowards..... shame on them. Unanimous UN vote to send in 15,000 troops. 14,951 to go

Idiotic nonsense. The countries want the authorisation under Chapter 7, which would allow them to fight back on those who fire on them, or even disarm those who get out of line. Bush calls for a "robust force" but will only allow it under chapter six. Under chapter six, the poor buggars aren't allowed to defend themselves. That's why UNIFIL is so useless.

It's like telling the police that they mustn't stop crime or arrest criminals, only report them to headquarters, and then blaming them for the crime wave.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

AvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud ofAvromShalom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
Israel can nuke some of them, but its all a question of square footage.

Does not take that much to take out Israel, whatever Israel could do in retaliation would still leave a lot left.

Hence Israel is a one bomb problem.
I take it that you have not heard of the Samson option, this means if Israel goes, it takes every major Arab capital with it along with Mecca /Medina, Israel has a formiddable nuclear arsenal and if attacked with nuclear weapons would have no option but to respond in kind. Moderate Arab states such as Egypt and Jordan have signed peace treaties with Israel and maintained quiet borders or long periods of time proving that Israel can live side by side with here neighbours in peace. However I fear that nothing will placate the lunatics in Iran and that they will never accept the existence of a Jewish state in any form shape or size and if they get the bomb all hell will break loose.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AvromShalom
I take it that you have not heard of the Samson option, this means if Israel goes, it takes every major Arab capital with it along with Mecca /Medina, Israel has a formiddable nuclear arsenal and if attacked with nuclear weapons would have no option but to respond in kind. Moderate Arab states such as Egypt and Jordan have signed peace treaties with Israel and maintained quiet borders or long periods of time proving that Israel can live side by side with here neighbours in peace. However I fear that nothing will placate the lunatics in Iran and that they will never accept the existence of a Jewish state in any form shape or size and if they get the bomb all hell will break loose.
I have heard of the Samson option.

Not sure how bothered Iran is about the Arab capitals going up in smoke. They would need to assume at least one getting through to them.

But even taking a robust view of the Israeli response, how much survives a pre emptive attack, and of course the destructive capability of each weapon, it would leave an awful lot left.

I did have a link to a site that reviewed the Israeli nuclear forces, obviously a lot of margin for error, but seem to have lost it.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

TV just said that Iran has refused to stop its nuclear enrichment.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:37 am
Pass me the Marmite..

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The UN is its member nations. And foremost among these are the US and UK.

I don't understand your rant. If you're ranting for reforming the UN, many will be with you. If you're ranting for disbanding the UN, what are you going to replace it with? If you're just ranting because it's a convenient scapegoat, you simply don't understand how the UN works and have been watching too much Fux. Which is it?
If we are going to have the UN, which is fine by me, it HAS to act not always sit on the sidelines. Everyone is taking the piss because we rarely follw through on any of the resolutions. (And when we do, everyone else cries foul). Simple FACT. heck, they should even act against Israel but ACT against *all* resolutions else it might as well be disbanded. Given the fact that just about everyone is now ignoring the resolutions, no one wants to send UN troops and it takes weeks to vote, you have to admit, it's all cods-wallop really.

Boy, you sound like homer simpson, going on about fux all the time. What's it got to do with a slice of bread? Sure, beat up on my opinion but don't insult yourself by thinking those whom disagree with you aren't entitled to their own.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If we are going to have the UN, which is fine by me, it HAS to act not always sit on the sidelines. Everyone is taking the piss because we rarely follw through on any of the resolutions. (And when we do, everyone else cries foul). Simple FACT. heck, they should even act against Israel but ACT against *all* resolutions else it might as well be disbanded. Given the fact that just about everyone is now ignoring the resolutions, no one wants to send UN troops and it takes weeks to vote, you have to admit, it's all cods-wallop really.

Boy, you sound like homer simpson, going on about fux all the time. What's it got to do with a slice of bread? Sure, beat up on my opinion but don't insult yourself by thinking those whom disagree with you aren't entitled to their own.
If we are going to have a strong UN which can act, you the voter must write your congressman and tell him that you expect your government to support it and not throw a spanner in the works at every opportunity.

I go on about Fux because you regularly regurgitate their talking points verbatim on this forum. Coincidence? I think not!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Can someone please list 10 positive accomplishments of the UN?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Can someone please list 10 positive accomplishments of the UN?
Cyprus? That only costs 44 million a year to keep them apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.