Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Wikiposts

the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Old Aug 18th 2006, 7:54 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the UN - is it a JOKE ?

Originally Posted by franc11s
Again, giving the Americans too much credit. I wasn't even thinking about America in WWII - The fact remains that we went to War with Hitler before he killed mllions of people. We didn't wait. Are you saying too if we left Hitler alone he wouldn't have killed the millions thereafter ?

So, Saddam killing fewer people than are dying today is a good reason not to have gone to war. What wonderful selfish logic. You pick the history events that suit. I think we should go to war with Iran SIMPLY because A. They are building a Nuke and B. because they have said they would use one if they had one. Would you wait here too?
One estimate of the WW2 death count is here. Really don't think it could have been much worse, do you?

The enemy at last was plain in view, huge and hateful, all disguise cast off. It was the Modern Age in arms. Whatever the outcome there was a place for him in that battle.
Waugh -- Sword of Honour Trilogy

There was no reason to go into Iraq whatsoever. Saddam was suitably contained in a region where stability is an over-riding factor. He was no threat to anyone but his own people, and seemingly less of a threat than the current "liberating" force.

It seems that all the infidels need nuking in your book.

Hopefully, November will see you consigned to the sidelines where you and your dangerous thought firmly belong.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you are so concerned with lives, the simple fact is that Saddam at the time he was overthrown was killing far fewer people under his regime than the US is managing now. Is there any wonder that the population are less than enthusiastic about their liberation.
I think that is a bit unfair, he may have had a bad year, or two, but you need to look at his overall performance.

I am sure if he had survived a bit longer his averages would have improved.

And of course unless I have missed something the various different factions are quite happy killing each other, like so many other areas in the world, US help not needed.

Personally I think going to Iraq was a big mistake, but I would admit arguable, making such a cock up of it the inexcusable bit.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:05 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

FatBrit

I don't understand either of your points this time and you were doing so well

Are you actually saying we (Britain) should not have gone to war with Germany - really? SHould we have left Poland to it? I guess less people may have died but really, is this how you think?

As for you point :

**Saddam was suitably contained in a region where stability is an over-riding factor. He was no threat to anyone but his own people.**

I rest my case.

and for the record I do not think we should nuke/kill all Muslims. Not even close. But I do think we need a new approach to terrorists.... some outside the box thinking...
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:08 am
Account Closed

One estimate of the WW2 death count is here. Really don't think it could have been much worse, do you?

It seems that all the infidels need nuking in your book.
Those numbers seem well understated, perhaps they only include casualties inflicted by the opposition.

If there had been an invasion of Japan their numbers could have gone well up, plus the Allies.

And as I said Israel is a one bomb problem. The consequences could be interesting.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:09 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A bit OT, I see the next Nimitz class carrier is going to be named after Bush Senior. Do the Democrats never get a look in?

They're not as good at starting wars.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Getting rid of the US veto might be a start...

I read a list of their past veto use - very interesting...
oh, heres one:
http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa03.html
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chorlton
They're not as good at starting wars.
Well:

WW1

WW2

Korea

Vietnam

To name a few.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:22 am

No one said they didnt start wars, they just dont have the same flair
Did the US start WW1 and 2?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I heard an interesting summary of the Iraq war.

Saddam Hussein was actually more scared of Iran and his own Sunni and Kurd populations than he was of the US. He wanted to keep the Iranians and his own population thinking he just might have a WMD, which is why he disallowed inspectors.

Which then gave Bush a flimsy excuse to invade. HE intended to kill the Wicked Witch, hand the keys to the kingdom over to the grateful Munchkins, and have nearly everyone home by September 2003.

Unfortunately they were both wrong.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

No one said they didnt start wars, they just dont have the same flair
Did the US start WW1 and 2?
A Democrat was in power at the time they joined the war effort.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
A Democrat was in power at the time they joined the war effort.
Should have used a sarcasm smilie...
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

FatBrit

I don't understand either of your points this time and you were doing so well
I gave you the opening quote from a contemporary novel about a young man who joined up because he viewed it as a battle between good and evil. The novel deals with his disillusionment over his initial premise (and also serves as an excellent history of the events in Europe at that time). You, too, it would appear have the same naivety and simplicity of thought that the young Guy Crouchback had when he began his crusade for righteousness and discovered it was not so clear cut. If you haven't read them, I would thoroughly recommend them

Are you actually saying we (Britain) should not have gone to war with Germany - really? SHould we have left Poland to it? I guess less people may have died but really, is this how you think?
I said nothing except note that the question is deserving of a thesis.

As for you point :

**Saddam was suitably contained in a region where stability is an over-riding factor. He was no threat to anyone but his own people.**

I rest my case.
So it was a mistake to invade Iraq, I presume. One based on a false premise? Or what?

and for the record I do not think we should nuke/kill all Muslims. Not even close. But I do think we need a new approach to terrorists.... some outside the box thinking...
So it isn't a solution to go over there and invade their countries? Coz that's the one you've been trying.

Last edited by fatbrit; Aug 18th 2006 at 9:09 am. Reason: Typo corrected
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:40 am
Account Closed

So it was a mistake to invade Iran, I presume. One based on a false premise? Or what?.
WOW

Major news story breaks on BE First!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see things starting to get lively again. I shall now adopt the correct approach and watch the outcome. Do not want to be accused of taking sides.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:42 am
Lapine Member

Should have used a sarcasm smilie...
shush and fetch us some popcorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.