Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK's attitude to invalidating its passport

UK's attitude to invalidating its passport

Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK's attitude to invalidating its passport

I'm a US/UK dual passport holder. I'm applying for a US security clearance and to get this must have my UK passport invalidated. I can keep the passport, but it will be damaged in such a way that it won't be usable. Does anyone know how the UK views this?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK's attitude to invalidating it's passport

Originally Posted by nun
I'm a US/UK dual passport holder. I'm applying for a US security clearance and to get this must have my UK passport invalidated. I can keep the passport, but it will be damaged in such a way that it won't be usable. Does anyone know how the UK views this?
how would the uk know unless you told them? right after it's been damaged, call the passport place and tell them you lost it and you want a new one....
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:44 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nun
Why do they need to damage the UK Passport, what kind of clearance are you going for?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
how would the uk know unless you told them? right after it's been damaged, call the passport place and tell them you lost it and you want a new one....
I'm just interested in the UK's attitude towards my invalidating a passport, not in getting a replacement.

Last edited by nun; Jun 19th 2010 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dudette
Why do they need to damage the UK Passport, what kind of clearance are you going for?
So that I won't be able to use it. I'm not required to renounce UK citizenship, but the holding of the UK passport is a no, no for a clearance
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:12 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nun
So that I won't be able to use it. I'm not required to renounce UK citizenship, but the holding of the UK passport is a no, no for a clearance
Is it top secret or secret you're going for? Who is doing the clearance screening and interview, what body, like FBI?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:22 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
Is it top secret or secret you're going for? Who is doing the clearance screening and interview, what body, like FBI?
Good point...but honestly I dont see the feds wanting this....if its a govt contractor wanting it..I'd tell em to get stuffed...

I've been around the security clearances and vetting processes of both countries and have never heard of such a thing...just fyi..

Besides all this, and I will sit corrected, intentionally damaging/destroying an official government document tends to be a felony here/an offence of some sort in the UK...of course you do have to be found out...and its rarely charged...
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:39 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by SDDep
Good point...but honestly I dont see the feds wanting this....if its a govt contractor wanting it..I'd tell em to get stuffed...

I've been around the security clearances and vetting processes of both countries and have never heard of such a thing...just fyi..

Besides all this, and I will sit corrected, intentionally damaging/destroying an official government document tends to be a felony here/an offence of some sort in the UK...of course you do have to be found out...and its rarely charged...
My DH has clearance and they never once asked him about passports, then again he already had a clearance and he is American, if you are worried about it, find out who is conducting the clearance review and then contact them yourself, asking if it is normal. Destruction of an official document is a big no no, especially as it's not your's the property of the government.

Just make sure you get all the facts before you allow the passport to be destroyed or tampered with.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I can keep the passport, but it will be damaged in such a way that it won't be usable. Does anyone know how the UK views this?
Well, your UK passport is the property of the UK government, so you don't actually have the authority to allow it to be deliberately damaged by representatives of a foreign country!

That said, and as others have noted, unless you tell the UK about it, they won't know.

Ian
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: UK's attitude to invalidating it's passport

Are you sure they don't want you to renounce? They normally do. But, if they just don't want you to use your passport, you can send it back to your nearest Consulate. They will return it to the UK as a "lost/found" and you will need to re-apply whenever you need a British passport again. If you want to keep it, just cut the corner of the front cover off.

Dean
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:57 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by British Consul
Are you sure they don't want you to renounce? They normally do. But, if they just don't want you to use your passport, you can send it back to your nearest Consulate. They will return it to the UK as a "lost/found" and you will need to re-apply whenever you need a British passport again. If you want to keep it, just cut the corner of the front cover off.

Dean
There you go, someone in the know, you got an answer straight from the horses mouth.

Good Luck with the clearance
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dean
Dean, always good to see you here and to have your valuable insight. I held the same thought as you re the renouncing of citizenship. To my thinking if you remain a citizen of a country you can get a new passport to replacement the invalidated one. In essence the invalidation is good for only the time it takes for you to apply for a new after being hired. So what is the point in the first place?

Rete
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Dean, always good to see you here and to have your valuable insight. I held the same thought as you re the renouncing of citizenship. To my thinking if you remain a citizen of a country you can get a new passport to replacement the invalidated one. In essence the invalidation is good for only the time it takes for you to apply for a new after being hired. So what is the point in the first place?

Rete
You are assuming this is logical!

It is of course farcical, nothing new there when dealing with Gov's
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Dean
I specifically asked about holding dual US/UK citizenship and they are ok with that as being born in the UK is a mitigating circumstance. They just don't want me to exercise my UK citizenship in order for me to get the secret clearance. The procedure was describe just as in your last sentence: cut off the corner of the passport so I can't use it.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
They just don't want me to exercise my UK citizenship in order for me to get the secret clearance.
This makes no sense at all. You are a UKC whether you have a UK passport or not. The only way for you to not be able to "exercise [your] UK citizenship" is to renounce it. But even that means nothing... since any such renunciation made in the US is not binding on the UK. In other words, it is the UK, not the US, who decides whether you are or aren't a citizen of the UK.

As for dual citizenship, the US will (or, at least, should) deal with you only as a USC... so it makes no sense that they want to mutilate your passport - as that makes no difference whatsoever to your citizenship.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.