Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Ukraine:- Official

The Ukraine:- Official

Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:18 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Ukraine:- Official

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The or not the, that is the question.

Okay – I’ll have a stab at it and try to explain where the unfortunate and nationalistic MCL was coming from, since I’m sure it made no sense to most. Probably, this effort won’t either… To understand, you need knowledge of English grammar and East European history.

Grammar
The grammar of the is very irregular in the English language. Its grammatical name is the definite article – DE.

A) Countries
With names of countries, we usually omit the DE:-
Examples: Sweden, Britain, France

However, there are many exceptions to this rule that may cause confusion:

1) We include the DE when the system of government of the country is shown in the name:-
Examples: The United Kingdom, The United Arab Emirates, The USA.

2) We include the DE where the original language would have included it, too:-
Examples: The Netherlands, The Congo.
Here, the Dutch and French language would use their DE – hence so does English.

3) We often omit the DE in text when we are writing the names of countries in titles or tables
B) Regions
We often use the DE when referring to geographic regions.
Examples: The Lake District, The Cotswolds, The Great Plains, The South.
History
The Russian and Ukrainian language do not use the DE. However, when Russian translators were translating into English, they would use the DE in front of the name of (the) Ukraine, i.e. they were saying that this place is a geographic region, not a country. When (the) Ukraine took independence, Ukrainian translators dropped the DE, i.e. they were stating that they were a country and not a region.
That was my point (put less clearly) above. Surely, politics and echoes of pass oppression aside, the Ukraine is a geographical region - just as the British Isles are - and also a governmental system, just as the Republic of Ireland is?

Ukraine is also a country.

Ironic that the "the" being dropped in this instance may be taken as a sign of nationalism. Irish Nationalists refer not to ROI and NI but "The North of Ireland" and "The South of Ireland" as they consider the division to be artificial.

With reference to the irritated poster ....it really is all bollox. I know several Ukranians. None of them have the issues with Russians this irritated poster has. One of them is married to a Russian.

Yes it was awful. Yes Ukraine (finally) got it's independence. Now, go forth, have a happy life and GET OVER IT
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Daxpeace is an unknown quantity at this point

Having lived in Ukraine for the past 2 1/2 I have found it very amusing when journalists and tourists mistakenly call Ukraine "The Ukraine." I think it's hilarious, and shows that the person speaking really doesn't know whereof they speak.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxpeace
Having lived in Ukraine for the past 2 1/2 I have found it very amusing when journalists and tourists mistakenly call Ukraine "The Ukraine." I think it's hilarious, and shows that the person speaking really doesn't know whereof they speak.
And how was life in the Ukraine? What did you do in the Ukraine?
How come you left the Ukraine?

just wondering, I mean I am just fascinated by the Ukraine.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:44 pm
hjb
Just Joined

hjb is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The Ukraine:- Official

sorry to interject with a serious question - I just posted a question in the Europe forum 'cos I'm moving to Ukraine next month. What are your likes/dislikes/tips etc.? Specifically I'll be in Slavutych.

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:43 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Intresting. Firstly if you think it's hilarious you need to get out and maybe take in a stand up comedy show or buy an Eddie Izzard DVD...it will probably kill you though. I'm curious as to what place these 2 tourists a year think they are talking about? Is there another place with the word Ukraine in it's title?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:49 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally Posted by lairdside
I ain't buying it. Imho it could be either, just like saying that someone was "from Britain" or alternatively was "from the British Isles"......
Good point. Only conflict I could think of would be if an Irishman refered to himself as from the Brtish Isles and people started refering to him as British.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it was awful. Yes Ukraine (finally) got it's independence. Now, go forth, have a happy life and GET OVER IT
Only time will tell whether they can get over. Most of the other Soviet Block countries to the west flirted with nationalistic, dictatorial leaders after their revolutions, then came round to the realization that this wasn’t going to actually get them anywhere. Their economies are now steaming ahead, albeit usually held together with a fragile coalition. However, they had one great advantage over Ukraine: they had all experienced some form of open, democratic government and economic success during the interwar period, a time close enough to be remembered by the older generation. Ukrainians have travelled through serfdom, communism and then into nationalism. I think it will probably take a few generations…
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:44 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
Good point. Only conflict I could think of would be if an Irishman refered to himself as from the Brtish Isles and people started refering to him as British.
You can be both British and Irish.

I am, being Northern Irish. No conflict as far as I am concerned (although others feel differently).
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:03 pm
Howling at the Moon

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Only time will tell whether they can get over. Most of the other Soviet Block countries to the west flirted with nationalistic, dictatorial leaders after their revolutions, then came round to the realization that this wasn’t going to actually get them anywhere. Their economies are now steaming ahead, albeit usually held together with a fragile coalition. However, they had one great advantage over Ukraine: they had all experienced some form of open, democratic government and economic success during the interwar period, a time close enough to be remembered by the older generation. Ukrainians have travelled through serfdom, communism and then into nationalism. I think it will probably take a few generations…
It was a personal "get over it" rather than a national one but I think you knew that

The little I know of Ukrainian history, from the Cossacks and their resistance to the Turks (sorry, I know very little prior to this) through the Soviet rule including the genocide committed by Stalin and Kaganovich, to more recent times, seem to me to have been very difficult times.

However the Ukranian people have endured. Imho they are a strong, proud people and will continue to do so. You may well be correct, it may take a few generations but I am sure that the Ukranian people will continue to do whatever it takes - I don't believe that they know how to give up.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that they know how to give up.
Yes! Even stubborn might describe it, but in the nicest possible sense.

Last edited by fatbrit; Aug 19th 2004 at 8:16 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:48 am
"Where are the shovels?"

You can be both British and Irish.

I am, being Northern Irish. No conflict as far as I am concerned (although others feel differently).
Yeah I know that NI is a British province. I was thinking more from a southern ireland viewpoint.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:06 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
Yeah I know that NI is a British province. I was thinking more from a southern ireland viewpoint.
But.... Ireland isn't part of the British Isles, never was. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland was formerly part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

But.... Ireland isn't part of the British Isles, never was. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland was formerly part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The British Isles include all the islands that compose Britian. Therefore Eire is part of the British Isles. It was so much easier in the days when 1/6th of the globe was a lovely shade of red !
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:17 pm
Howling at the Moon

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
The British Isles include all the islands that compose Britian. Therefore Eire is part of the British Isles. It was so much easier in the days when 1/6th of the globe was a lovely shade of red !
You are right of course Scrumpy.

I was thinking of the term British Islands which has been applied since the 1978 Interpretation Act to denote those lands within the British Isles which are inhabited by British citizens, i.e. the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Mea culpa.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You are right of course Scrumpy.

I was thinking of the term British Islands which has been applied since the 1978 Interpretation Act to denote those lands within the British Isles which are inhabited by British citizens, i.e. the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Mea culpa.
I always considered the term "British Isles" to include Eire because it was a geographical term rather than political. Akin to Iberian Peninsular including Portugal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.