Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UKC driving in US

UKC driving in US

Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:57 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute
Question UKC driving in US

Does anyone know what the rules are on car insurance coverage for British citizens with a full UK drivers license, who will be driving my car while they are in the US on vacation for 2 weeks?

I asked my hubby about it, he's a USC, and he said that my Dad would have to sort out coverage with his own insurance company back in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience with this in the past, and can offer some advice please?

Thanks ~ Andie
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:01 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKC driving in US

if your renting, that would be easy and no problem....if your borrowing a car, depends on the persons insurance of the car your borrowing...also probably depends on the state as well.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:02 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andie&jase View Post
Does anyone know what the rules are on car insurance coverage for British citizens with a full UK drivers license, who will be driving my car while they are in the US on vacation for 2 weeks?

I asked my hubby about it, he's a USC, and he said that my Dad would have to sort out coverage with his own insurance company back in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience with this in the past, and can offer some advice please?

Thanks ~ Andie
We have our car insurance with AIG international and they told me that any visitors from the UK would be insured on our policy to drive, as long as they had a UK licence. I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't want any of them to drive my car!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:07 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
if your renting, that would be easy and no problem....if your borrowing a car, depends on the persons insurance of the car your borrowing...also probably depends on the state as well.
Hi Bob,

I'm in Kansas right now and can't find any info on the DMV website about foreign licenses or insurance coverage. I found out some info about licenses from the Embassy website though.

My parents are only visiting for a couple of weeks just after I have the baby, so they will be doing most of the running round in my car. I'll get my hubby to call our insurance company to double check, I just thought it sounded strange that my Dad would have to sort it out in the UK.

Thanks for the post ~ A x
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:10 pm
redneck scouser

Originally Posted by jumping doris View Post
We have our car insurance with AIG international and they told me that any visitors from the UK would be insured on our policy to drive, as long as they had a UK licence. I remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't want any of them to drive my car!
Hi Doris!

We're with USAA, but the hubby deals with all that stuff, so I'll get him to call them when he gets home.

And I know what you mean about not wanting anyone to drive your car.....I'll have to make sure they know about all the weird little things, like you can make a right hand turn on a red light etc etc. Oh and that no-one in Kansas indicates before they change lanes or turn, very scary! lol

Thanks for your reply ~ A x
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Doris!

We're with USAA, but the hubby deals with all that stuff, so I'll get him to call them when he gets home.

And I know what you mean about not wanting anyone to drive your car.....I'll have to make sure they know about all the weird little things, like you can make a right hand turn on a red light etc etc. Oh and that no-one in Kansas indicates before they change lanes or turn, very scary! lol

Hey! I'm in Kansas City and with USAA too! You guys must be in North Kansas City. Your hubby must be in the Army. Awesome
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

When driving in the States I drive my wife's car. Her insurance covers me. It might be an idea to contact your US insurers. I am fully comp in the UK, though I'm not certain if that makes any difference when driving in the United States.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Doris!

USAA is as good as it gets, and they are extremely helpful. That's who we have too and I've never had a problem. They'll be able to help you out.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:36 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob,

I'm in Kansas right now and can't find any info on the DMV website about foreign licenses or insurance coverage. I found out some info about licenses from the Embassy website though.

My parents are only visiting for a couple of weeks just after I have the baby, so they will be doing most of the running round in my car. I'll get my hubby to call our insurance company to double check, I just thought it sounded strange that my Dad would have to sort it out in the UK.

Thanks for the post ~ A x
it'll be the insurance people you really want to speak to...
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:50 pm
redneck scouser

Thanks for all your responses.

My other half admitted last night that he was just fobbing me off cos he doesn't trust my parents to drive my new car lol!

He's so cheeky, but I agree with him about my Mum, Dad will be ok though.

So we're going to discuss it this weekend and call OUR insurance company to find out about covering my Dad for 2 weeks.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I drive on wifes insurance currently and have been doing my DMV paperwork today.
Point to note - Make sure they bring their UK license with them though as they'll need to have it on their person when driving over here. (Quote from DMV clerk to me today - (about me driving before I get my US license not your parents))