Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK vs US cost of living - has it balanced out for you?

UK vs US cost of living - has it balanced out for you?

Old Mar 26th 2023, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs US cost of living - has it balanced out for you?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's OK to like it, but anyone who "knows about wine" is unlikely to touch it because it's a blend, which takes all the wine-makers craft out of the product. ... In short, it's likely to be bland and inoffensive.
h
l knew it was a blend but wondered how it seems to be the same over time. I have bought it occasionally over two or three years and it seems to always taste the same.
Old Mar 26th 2023, 2:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can you tell me which Chilean Malbec you found to be 'really, really good'? I'm curious to know if it was at the $4.99 or the $9.99 end of the spectrum! My g/f is a big fan of Malbec. I'll go hunt it down.

The problem with buying a suit on the west coast is that no one ever wears them, so they are rather specialized and therefore pricy. When I go to London, I see that suits are quite common work-wear for even mid- or low-level office workers (so they have to be 'affordable'), while in California, everyone wears 'business casual' (or less). I just checked online at a few places I might think to buy a suit from, and I could probably get something 'passable' for $300. These days, I wear sweat-pants around the house, and feel like I'm making an extra effort by putting on a pair of jeans to go out! We went out for a 'fancy' dinner on New Years Eve, and I reluctantly wore a pair of dockers and a 'blazer' for the occasion. I felt positively regal!

Congratulations on the wedding!

Turns out it is from Argentina. Malbec is really drinkable I find, this one especially so.

That is what I assumed about suits. I’m pretty sure you literally cannot buy a suit anywhere within 200 miles of here, except at a thrift store, because people here don’t wear them to work, nor, it seems for other occasions.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

It's OK to like it, but anyone who "knows about wine" is unlikely to touch it because it's a blend, which takes all the wine-makers craft out of the product. ... In short, it's likely to be bland and inoffensive.
Unlike that French Bordeaux 'blend'?
Old Mar 27th 2023, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Unlike that French Bordeaux 'blend'?
Exactly. The point of the wine discussion was not wine pedigree but taste. It’s hard to evaluate wine using all senses and especially hard when you don’t actually take the time to taste it.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Many vineyards producing classic, high end wines blend, often proving their craft & skill.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by epiphanyuk
There are certain things that are clearly more expensive in the US, such as healthcare and some smaller monthly expenses. But I'm interested to read about your experience with how significantly lower taxes, fuel, house prices and other factors have offset these expenses over the longer term.
For me in the biotech sector, my earning potential is 2-3x higher in the US, so it actually makes a lot of cost of living comparisons moot.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Mar 27th 2023 at 6:52 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Many vineyards producing classic, high end wines blend, often proving their craft & skill.
I don't doubt that, but would suggest that what goes into their blended wines is the "product" that does not meet the standards of being a classic, high-end wine. In other words nobody is going to take vintage, single-vinyard wine and dump it in a blending tank.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt that, but would suggest that what goes into their blended wines is the "product" that does not meet the standards of being a classic, high-end wine. In other words nobody is going to take vintage, single-vinyard wine and dump it in a blending tank.
You've heard of Chateau Margeaux?

one of five wines to achieve Premier cru (first growth) status in the Bordeaux Classification of 1855.
​​​​​​​The domaine of Château Margaux extends 262 hectares (650 acres), of which 87 hectares (210 acres) are entitled to the Margaux AOC declaration. 80 hectares (200 acres) are planted with 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, with 2% Cabernet Franc and Petit verdot.[
​​​​​​​But it’s only after putting it in barrels that the moment of blending arrives.Two, sometimes three, grand tastings bring us together during the month of January around a long table covered with samples. The atmosphere is slightly solemn. We eagerly find the generous fruit in the Merlots, the delicate sweetness of the Cabernets and the slightly rustic strength of the Petit Verdots.It’s with emotion that we discover the finesse that was hiding behind the slightly severe tannins, or the balance that we never suspected under this power, still raw. Little by little the blendings of the first, then the second, then at last the third wine are built and refined.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The process sounds almost religious.
You've heard of Chateau Margeaux?
And no, I can't say I have heard of Chateaux Margeaux. I decided quite some years ago that wine really doesn't do much for me, and I would far sooner have a good beer, I find it much more pleasing.

On the occasions I do buy wine, I never choose French wine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2023 at 6:40 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

The process sounds almost religious.

And no, I can't say I have heard of Chateaux Margeaux. I decided quite some years ago that wine really doesn't do much for me, and I would far sooner have a good beer, I find it much more pleasing.

On the occasions I do buy wine, I never choose French wine.
Ok I suppose that explains your "those who know wine" - I guess that in your book that means Americans!

Chateau Margeaux -

Note that the label doesn't say "Merlot" or similar on the front.

Another great you may not have heard of -

Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite)

Château Lafite Rothschild's second wine, Carruades de Lafite presents similar characteristics to the Grand Vin, but with its own personality linked to a higher proportion of Merlot and to specific plots that are used to produce Carruades.

The grape varieties are Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (25%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Petit Verdot (2%).

Several tastings from each vat are carried out to make the selection for the Grand Vin. Blending takes place after the first racking of the barrels in March.
Old Mar 27th 2023, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Ok I suppose that explains your "those who know wine" - I guess that in your book that means Americans!

Chateau Margeaux -

Note that the label doesn't say "Merlot" or similar on the front.

Another great you may not have heard of -
Anything worth drinking will not be labelled with a crappy grape like Merlot, Shiraz et al!
Old Mar 27th 2023, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Anything worth drinking will not be labelled with a crappy grape like Merlot, Shiraz et al!
Only among those "who know wines"!
Old Mar 27th 2023, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Here's one for Mr P (who doesn't drink French wines)

Sauska Cuvée 113Tokaj 2018A vibrant blend of Tokaj Furmint, Hárslevelű, Yellow Muscat, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. “A beautiful white with pear tart and waxy lemons. Hints of orange blossom and chamomile tea. Medium-bodied and balanced on the palate, painting fine layers of acidity on a canvas of fleshy fruit.” James Suckling 92 pts. Varietal composition: chardonnay, sárgamuskotály, furmint, hárslevelű, sauvignon blancRecommended drinking temperature: 10-12 ℃Alcohol content: 13 %Bottle size: 0,75 l
An interesting story - Christian Sauska (whom we once had the pleasure of dining with) is a Hungarian who was taken to the US as a young refugee and became a very successful defence contractor (for the DoD and others). Some 20+ years ago he returned to Hungary (part time) and started his own winery, producing mid to high end wines in the Tokaj and Villány regions, and guess what, he produces blended wines!

​​​​​​​Of course, those who know wines...

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Mar 27th 2023, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly my (earlier) point. At the risk of provoking complete anarchy, i would say the same applies to Scotch Whisky. Single malt vs blends - but to be fair, like wine, there are blends and then there are blends
Old Mar 28th 2023, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Exactly my (earlier) point. At the risk of provoking complete anarchy, i would say the same applies to Scotch Whisky. Single malt vs blends - but to be fair, like wine, there are blends and then there are blends
I think that's the key element here! Blending can be a way to hide a multitude of sins, but it can also be a way of combining the best features of several individual ingredients.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.