UK VPN

Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK VPN

Originally Posted by 00derek
where is the best place to learn about using a VPN to watch UK TV?

I need a computer in the UK correct? so the paid providers provide you with a UK based computer? so I could do the same thing with a free VPN connection to a relative in the UK?
Not quite, you're thinking sling box.

What you do with the VPN is connecting to them from where ever and that connection from them goes to the wilds of the interwebz, so that the website you look at see a UK IP and think you are in the UK, so you can then use bbc iplayer etc.

There really isn't anything to learn. Sign up, pay if that's what you're going for, install software, run it...and that's it, you're suddenly appearing to be from the UK.

Unless you've done something stupid and picked a VPN which doesn't give you a UK IP
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to access the BBC iPlayer from the US and had heard good things about StrongVPN. They seem to offer 2 different "USA-UK" packages: PPTP-only for $55 or PPTP-and-Open for $85. What's the difference and which service would be best for iPlayer? Thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferrino
I'm looking to access the BBC iPlayer from the US and had heard good things about StrongVPN. They seem to offer 2 different "USA-UK" packages: PPTP-only for $55 or PPTP-and-Open for $85. What's the difference and which service would be best for iPlayer? Thanks!
They explain the difference pretty well I thought.

What is best would be the one you would make best use of. If all you're doing is sitting in front of your computer kind of deal, the cheaper option would be fine, but if you're going mobile then the more expensive option would be better.

Edit - Just go with the cheap option, if you don't know what you're doing, you don't need the expensive option. Both can be used with a modded firmware that you can flash a range of routers with if you need to have the VPN on the router side for the whole network, such as using a PS3 or other media box you wanted to have a UK IP, but I'd not recommend it for a console.

Last edited by Bob; Feb 8th 2012 at 8:42 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - going to go with ibvpn as it offers both protocols and is cheaper than strongvpn.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

00derek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks from me too. So compared to a relative, a third-party provider gives you more bandwidth, always-on service etc?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ferrino
Thanks - going to go with ibvpn as it offers both protocols and is cheaper than strongvpn.
Difference is on the $5 a month plan, you don't get both UK/US, it's one side or the other, which might not be a issue, but if your'e wireless and in public it's good to go through a VPN anyway and routing via the UK for regular net stuff is a bit of a chore.

Can't use the VPN for torrents either, which can be a big decider.

I've no idea how long IBVPN have been around for, though Strong have been around for years, so much safer than most if you were to go with the annual rate rather than monthly for the just in case they bugger off with your money thing.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:24 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I just signed up with VyprVPN, for $10.00 a month, but looking at Strong VPN at $55 for the year, I might need to switch; though you seem to be limited to 5 switches a month. For the saving it might be worth that inconveniance.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I just signed up with VyprVPN, for $10.00 a month, but looking at Strong VPN at $55 for the year, I might need to switch; though you seem to be limited to 5 switches a month. For the saving it might be worth that inconveniance.
But how often are you going to be switching though?

http://ibvpn.com/ They have an even cheaper option with unlimited switching, but the cheapest option doesn't allow torrent/p2p traffic and when you check out the like for like packages, it's more expensive than the base StrongVPN package, but cheaper than their top package.

So at the end of the day, what ever etc you'll be using if for to see which is better value...and see how long ibvpn have been around for. I know Strong have been around for years, at least 6-7 years, so not a fly by night service.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

I went with an initial 3-month subscription to IBVPN's UK service for $10.95. They have a 15-day cancellation policy, so I thought I'd give it a try. I have no need for a US server and no need for P2P etc., I just want a UK server for streaming UK telly. The guides on the website are excellent and I was up and running in no time. I did an initial test on my Macbook and am really impressed by how quick and easy it is to toggle the VPN on and off. Gave BBC iPlayer a whirl with one of their HD channels and was really pleased with the quality of the stream. This was on a 12 Mbps U-verse connection and using wireless-g. No doubt the stream will improve when I move it to my ethernet connection, which is where it will be used.

For anyone who uses a HTPC and Windows Media Center to control their internet TV with a remote control, I've learned there is a plug-in called "TunerFree MCE" which will allow you to watch the UK streaming services (iPlayer, 4OD etc.). The great bit is you can feed it your VPN details and it will automatically toggle your VPN on and off depending on which country hosts that service. I've not tried it but it sounds like a great solution for those of us who like to watch TV on the big screen.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikethecameraman
Hello....

Just a quick one if I may...

In the psat I have downloaded a couple of UK tv programmes from UKNOVA..

Just followed a link to UKiVPN.... as I understand it... if I sign up for a UK VPN .. I would be able to watch programmes on BBCiplayer as it would be fooled into thinking I was online in the UK..

Is that right... does here do that?

thanks

M
I utilise uktv2c's high speed vpn. I was using another but it does not allow me to stream in HD. It only costs me $9.99 a month but with being able to stream not only iPlayer but ITV and C4 it worth it. The biggest bonus now though is being able to use my families Sky Go account and stream live Sky TV

Well worth the money.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Got the VPN stuff working on an ipad last weekend (to stream the Six Nations to the TV)- there is a VPN option in the settings so you just plug the info into there and use the Iplayer, Channel 4, ITV and Channel 5 apps to stream the live channels and the catch up. Seems to work pretty well. Sometimes when you are watching the rugby the stream goes to the lower quality ones - I think probably because expats around the world are doing the same thing. Much better than forking out for a better cable package with BBC America (I went for the shittest one)
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:37 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Much better than forking out for a better cable package with BBC America (I went for the shittest one)
Its worth the VPN as I think BBCA are only carrying 4 or 5 games this year
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Much better than forking out for a better cable package with BBC America (I went for the shittest one)
I really can't see the reason for any cable package these days. Use the US streaming services instead.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I really can't see the reason for any cable package these days. Use the US streaming services instead.
Yes - absolutely right. Netflix, HBO, the various channels websites - the UK Stuff and streaming files from your computer and you are all sorted. Problem is the misses insisted on us having cable even though I didn't want it. Thing is we have so much TV queued up now I haven't watched the normal TV since the Superbowl (and I could have watched that down the pub).
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Which stream is showing the rugby live, please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.