Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK visitor using car of US partner (insurance)

UK visitor using car of US partner (insurance)

Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

littlejack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK visitor using car of US partner (insurance)

deleted

Last edited by littlejack; Dec 4th 2014 at 8:50 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK visitor using car of US partner (insurance)

errr....contact the insurance company and have them confirm it in writing?

Or would you prefer assurance from strangers on a forum?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

thank you, now I cant find delete thread button, only showing me an edit button
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to delete the thread?
It's good advice for anyone in the same situation.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Well it quickly became apparent it was a silly question, from your prompt reply!
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, sometimes when you're anxious you don't think of the obvious.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

your correct and I would now like to delete the entire thread, I feel silly enough with it still glaring at me
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't worry about it, go call the insurance company, although they may be closed now.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejack
Well it quickly became apparent it was a silly question, from your prompt reply.
We'd have a lot fewer threads on BE if people deleted the silly questions!

To answer what I think your question was: you'll probably be covered, because most car insurance in the US covers the vehicle when any licensed driver is driving it with permission of the owner. I was covered to drive the then-future Mrs P's car when I visited her in the US before we got married. As Hotscot said, the question really needs to go to the insurance company.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 4th 2014 at 9:33 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We'd have a lot fewer threads on BE if people deleted the silly questions!
It would be a wasteland...
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

most car insurance in the US covers the vehicle when any licensed driver is driving it with permission of the owner - this was what the insurance company said originally, however Toyota have recalled her car because of a problem with the airbag, and provided her with a hire car under her own insurance, it was then we asked whether I was ok to drive the rental. The lady said I needed to be named on the insurance doc that you have to carry in the car. This is what made me worry in whether I was truly covered, especially in the US where lawyers make lawsuits out of anything. Should I get stopped by the police or have an accident, how much use coud be placed on a verbal statement three years ago?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejack
most car insurance in the US covers the vehicle when any licensed driver is driving it with permission of the owner - this was what the insurance company said originally, however Toyota have recalled her car because of a problem with the airbag, and provided her with a hire car under her own insurance, it was then we asked whether I was ok to drive the rental. The lady said I needed to be named on the insurance doc that you have to carry in the car. This is what made me worry in whether I was truly covered, especially in the US where lawyers make lawsuits out of anything. Should I get stopped by the police or have an accident, how much use coud be placed on a verbal statement three years ago?
So this is a lot more involved than the simple car insurance question. In a rental car you are only covered to drive it if you have registered with the rental company, which typically involves just visiting the rental office, presenting your license and signing a form. It can be done at any time, not just at the start of the rental.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well do us a favor; come back and update us on what the insurance company says.
It all adds to the body of knowledge.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:31 am
Just Joined

solstice930 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had this issue in the past. My UKC husband is fine to drive my mother's car under her insurance, but she can only list family to her insurance policy. So I'm listed on her insurance, and when we need to hire a car, she hires it in her name with her insurance and adds me as an additional driver. Although my husband can be added as an additional driver to the car, he does not have adequate insurance coverage unless he purchases separate insurance from the care hire company, which isn't worth the cost normally. This is in CA. Hope that helps.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread. Answer what you think the question was! We should have more of them.