Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Visa Application Fee - I think I screwed up

UK Visa Application Fee - I think I screwed up

Old May 1st 2001, 4:20 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I'm kinda freaking out a bit right now.

I just went to Barclay's Bank to pay the £32 for the visa. The lady kept the Embassy copy of the receipt and I just have the applicants copy. I asked her if I needed the other section but she said that they send that to the Embassy (at least I think she said that, I can't remember.)

I just got home and was checking over the instructions and they say:

"After you pay the fee, you will receive a two-part stamped receipt. Please bring this receipt with you to your appointment as the "Embassy's copy" of the receipt needs to be stapled to the application form which you have already sent to this office."

But now I don't have the two part stamped receipt. I don't have the Embassy's copy. I'm all scared it's lost now. I tried phoning the bank but they just closed. Do I need to go at 9am tomorrow and ask for it back if they haven't sent it already? Or am I just freaking out for no good reason? It's just that the receipt hasn't got my name on it or anything, just a number which corelates with the number on my half of the receipt. Is this enough?

I really need to know what to do or if things are ok, so any personal experiences would help a lot.

Thanks ~ Jennie

(I'll check back here later on and then at 8am tomorrow - before I head back to the bank to see if they know and if they still have my Embassy copy receipt if they haven't sent it off into the unknown already.)

[Edited by Jememennie on May 1st 2001 at 1:04pm]
Old May 2nd 2001, 10:18 am
mhaley12345

Jennie.....

Paul got his receipt to turn in, I would go back and try to get it just in
case.....better safe then sorry. Or call the embassy and ask them if it can be sent
in by the bank. But I think they would want you to bring it in with your other
papers.....hard to match it up if it just showed up in the mail from the bank.

Old May 2nd 2001, 11:24 am
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update

Thanks for the reply. I think I have things sorted out now. Turns out there was something else I screwed up instead.

I went to the bank at 9am. Turns out they didn't open until 10am. I phoned them up at 9.15am but that didn't help. Phoned the Embassy info line number that misskate gave me (thank you) but that wasn't open yet either. Phoned the Embassy again at 9.40am. Listened to 5 mins of hold music - it sounded like it was being played by an icecream van. :P Then the lady I got through to was talking to me like I was stupid. Turns out that the new creme OF156 that the receipt was attached to needed to be stamped by the bank too. This has the same serial number on it as my applicants receipt and the bank copy. The Embassy lady seemed to think that this was the bank's copy and I didn't need it. I'm hoping that's the case. So I went back to the bank and got the OF156 stamped (will have to explain the different dates at the Embassy I guess). I think I'll have to fill it in even though I filled out 2 copies already.

Other news - I made an appointment with a nurse to see if I can get the MMR on the NHS for free. I didn't have it as a child and so am missing a mumps immunisation. I had measles and rubella immunisations at different times. The receptionist lady told me to bring proof that I needed the MMR so I guess I'll print off something from the Embassy website.

take care ~ Jennie