Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to USA visa help

UK to USA visa help

Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to USA visa help

Originally Posted by RICH
You sound like a nice bloke though

Sorry, that was not helpful. It is easy for some of us to sound smug, having qualified for a visa/residency through some freak circumstance. Lots of people qualify one way or another (per the wiki), but the various circumstances are VERY specific, and most people can't easily make even one of those circumstances happen, without years of effort, or luck, or money, or all 3

Wishing you all the best.
Excellent post by the way.
I didn't even want to come to California in the first place but through a convoluted process made my career here and got married to a US cit. and then gained US citizenship for myself. Other than that it would have been very difficult.
In any case it's good that you posted an empathic response.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:45 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

To be fair if he were able to get a job with a US company (NOT EASY) then they could sponsor him, it's difficult but not impossible.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
To be fair if he were able to get a job with a US company (NOT EASY) then they could sponsor him, it's difficult but not impossible.
Why on earth would any US company spend all that time and money sponsoring an electrician when there are thousand able to take a job at a moments notice. I suspect that given his trade and qualifications, the OP has realised that his only realistic chance is to find and marry a US citizen.

Last edited by mikelincs; Jun 20th 2013 at 4:53 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Why on earth would any US company spend all that time and money sponsoring an electrician when there are thousand able to take a job at a moments notice. I suspect that given his trade and qualifications, the OP has real;ised that his only realistic chance is to find and marry a US citizen.
As the electrical system is different, wouldn't he have to requalify anyway?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 4:55 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

That's why I said it is NOT EASY, he would need to have a friend or someone at a US company that really wants to help him out. It's not IMPOSSIBLE but it's NOT EASY either.

Why on earth would any US company spend all that time and money sponsoring an electrician when there are thousand able to take a job at a moments notice. I suspect that given his trade and qualifications, the OP has realised that his only realistic chance is to find and marry a US citizen.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it as easy just to marry a US citizen as it was years ago I wonder ?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I said it is NOT EASY, he would need to have a friend or someone at a US company that really wants to help him out. It's not IMPOSSIBLE but it's NOT EASY either.
Out of interest, what visa would he qualify for, even if he could find a company prepared to go to all the expense and hassle of sponsoring him?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Is it as easy just to marry a US citizen as it was years ago I wonder ?
Easier, a lot easier, thanks to Al Gore's wonderful invention!
Well in the cause of completeness of advice, let me also point out that it is not impossible that he could get an act of Congress passed especially to give him a visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2013 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
As the electrical system is different, wouldn't he have to requalify anyway?
Yes - and there's no fast-track way in no matter how well qualified you are as an electrician.

The electrical systems aren't that different either and the laws of physics remain the same wherever you are.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EB3
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I could never understand why its made so hard for Brits to come to the US, everyone else seems to get in so easy, all the Brits I know here are hard working people, never met one that doesn't have a job, I think it's shameful to make it so hard to want to come here and work, language is the same...except us from Yorkshire
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I could never understand why its made so hard for Brits to come to the US, everyone else seems to get in so easy, all the Brits I know here are hard working people, never met one that doesn't have a job, I think it's shameful to make it so hard to want to come here and work, language is the same...except us from Yorkshire
I've met a few Brits who overstayed or had marriages of convenience. I don't see them working any harder than other nationalities.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I could never understand why its made so hard for Brits to come to the US, everyone else seems to get in so easy ...
Try being from Iran. It's impossible to get a visitor's visa, and almost impossible to get a work or student visa. The ONLY way my husband could come to the USA was through marriage to me. So...not as easy as you might think.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I've met a few Brits who overstayed or had marriages of convenience. I don't see them working any harder than other nationalities.
I think most of them I met got transferred to jobs in the US, all seem quite well off too living in Ct.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think most of them I met got transferred to jobs in the US, all seem quite well off too living in Ct.
So how is that difficult to get in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.