British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Uk To Usa Terrorist Plot Foiled!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-usa-terrorist-plot-foiled-389787/)

englishnurse Aug 10th 2006 8:17 am

Uk To Usa Terrorist Plot Foiled!!!

Woke up this morning to reports on sky news of 20 people arrested in the UK, they had planned to take liquid bombs onto planes to the USA as hand luggage, most items of hand luggage are now banned on planes for the time being, even baby milk has to be tasted by someone before being allowed on the plane, the terrorist threat level is critical and chaos rules at the airports.
Many flights out of London have been cancelled, some have also been cancelled coming in due to congestion, passengers are being told unless you trip is essential do not travel to the airport.
www.sky.com/news
Scotland yard state that they are convinced that they foiled an attempt to commit mass murder

they also said that 'this issue isnt about community, this is about criminals who wish to commit crimes'

now i will be hit with a barrage of comments at work like
'ooo you dont wont to go and live in the USA now do you, since all this terrorism malarky, do you now????'

grrrrr

Andrew Cross Aug 10th 2006 8:44 am

Re: Uk To Usa Terrorist Plot Foiled!!!

I worked at Heathrow during 9/11. It took ages for the airlines to get back to normal afterwards. Just had a text from my friend who is at work now and she says it is mayhem, she works in the dept that gets the bags from other flights that connect onto flights at Heathrow and she says they are all piling up and are going nowhere. Gonna be a long time to sort out and I imagine many people are going to arrive at their destinations (finally) without their bags.. although hopefully alive and still in one piece.

snowbunny Aug 10th 2006 9:08 am

I don't think anywhere is safe, really. :(

I couldn't fly with just my passport, I have medication I have to have access to during a flight. It's a nightmare.

Hope all involved have the courage and patience to get through this.

jwood Aug 10th 2006 10:07 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I don't think anywhere is safe, really. :(

I couldn't fly with just my passport, I have medication I have to have access to during a flight. It's a nightmare.

Hope all involved have the courage and patience to get through this.

Medication is allowed but it has to go in a carrier bag, preferably clear plastic so that security can see. Passengers will also be hand searched and may even have to take off their shoes.Just listening to the news now and it's very calm at Birmingham Airport, people are getting there early to check in. Heathrow on the other hand are in utter chaos.
I was born in Birmingham and have lived here all my life. When people ask me why i want to leave England i tell them to watch the news. Enough said!

Jackie

englishnurse Aug 10th 2006 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jwood
Medication is allowed but it has to go in a carrier bag, preferably clear plastic so that security can see. Passengers will also be hand searched and may even have to take off their shoes.Just listening to the news now and it's very calm at Birmingham Airport, people are getting there early to check in. Heathrow on the other hand are in utter chaos.
I was born in Birmingham and have lived here all my life. When people ask me why i want to leave England i tell them to watch the news. Enough said!

Jackie

theyve just arrested two of the men who were on the run in Birmingham, i live in shrewsbury just up the m6 from there

Jabba1 Aug 10th 2006 11:52 am

This whole thing is very scary. They claim that the threat is still present and that not everyone involved in the plot has been found as yet. I would hate to see the US have to resort to extreme measures like temproarily closing it's airspace to any flights originating in foriegn countries like 9/11.

So far this has not happened, but the terror alert is at it's highest level in both the UK and USA.

elaineKB Aug 10th 2006 12:35 pm

This is awful :(
Im sure I read a few of you flying home shortly...good luck and be safe

Tbag Aug 10th 2006 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse
Woke up this morning to reports on sky news of 20 people arrested in the UK, they had planned to take liquid bombs onto planes to the USA as hand luggage, most items of hand luggage are now banned on planes for the time being, even baby milk has to be tasted by someone before being allowed on the plane, the terrorist threat level is critical and chaos rules at the airports.
Many flights out of London have been cancelled, some have also been cancelled coming in due to congestion, passengers are being told unless you trip is essential do not travel to the airport.
www.sky.com/news
Scotland yard state that they are convinced that they foiled an attempt to commit mass murder

they also said that 'this issue isnt about community, this is about criminals who wish to commit crimes'

now i will be hit with a barrage of comments at work like
'ooo you dont wont to go and live in the USA now do you, since all this terrorism malarky, do you now????'

grrrrr

Just Heard the news on the way into work............horrified but taking some comfort in the fact that our intelligence were able to prevent a plot thus far of such scary magnitude.

My thoughts and Patience go with you guys that are heading home in the next few weeks (partystar & lionheart to name a couple) look after yourselves.

newbieloubie Aug 10th 2006 12:40 pm

Think good thoughts for me guys - I'm flying from JFK to Heathrow on Saturday :(

Liiiitle bit anxious now!!

Hiro11 Aug 10th 2006 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tbag
Just Heard the news on the way into work............horrified but taking some comfort in the fact that our intelligence were able to prevent a plot thus far of such scary magnitude.

Exactly, major kudos are due to British intelligence and law-enforcement personnel, nicely done. I wonder if the thwarted group will turn out to be British citizens?

dan_alford Aug 10th 2006 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Exactly, major kudos are due to British intelligence and law-enforcement personnel, nicely done. I wonder if the thwarted group will turn out to be British citizens?

BBC says it is British born citizens as the ringleaders with some ties to Pakistan.

TN-Dave Aug 10th 2006 12:55 pm

bloody typical of the news over here - I turned on the radio to listen to what had happened and all I got was news about how bad the airport delays were going to be for US travellers ! ......

I ended up having to wait until I got to work to check to BBC before I could get any proper news !

Well.... personally... I prefer to wait for 3 hours to get on a plane if it means I feel safer about it all.

Guest21 Aug 10th 2006 12:58 pm

The news just said that the bastards knew that security would be heightened next month, so they obviously thought they would try and destroy innocent peoples lives now, while the security level was lower.
Sick friggen individuals. :mad:

rincewind Aug 10th 2006 1:00 pm

I'm hoping that those of us that have friends or family flying in today managed to get on a flight that wasn't cancelled.

Guest21 Aug 10th 2006 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by newbieloubie
Think good thoughts for me guys - I'm flying from JFK to Heathrow on Saturday :(

Liiiitle bit anxious now!!

I would think that you are even safer now as the security will be alot higher its like going to a resturant that just had the public health in and was closed for a while you know that the standards will now be impeccable.