Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to USA flight

UK to USA flight

Old May 7th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all
Default UK to USA flight

Sorry - the thread title should be USA to UK flight..............DOH!

We are returning to the UK for good in June. (All prices include tax & fees by the way)

Now if I choose a one way ticket the economy price is $1376 and $500 to upgrade to Premium Economy (same cost as if we just bought Premium Ecomony one way tickets)

If I ask for a return price it's $1336 and only $300 to upgrade the outbound.

Is there anything stopping us buying the return tickets and then just not using the return ticket?

Last edited by NSBlake; May 7th 2012 at 7:37 pm. Reason: USA to UK flight..........
Old May 7th 2012, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to USA flight

The airlines don't like it, but lots of people do it. So the short answer is no.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Thank you - I'm sure they don't like it.........the airlines must think we are muppets to pay one way fares then.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

I was told by my relocation agent not to book return ticket as you can be deported, or not allowed entry if it's found you don't intend to leave. We are going UK to US, but I wouldn't want to risk visa!
Old May 7th 2012, 9:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
I was told by my relocation agent not to book return ticket as you can be deported, or not allowed entry if it's found you don't intend to leave. We are going UK to US, but I wouldn't want to risk visa!
If you are arriving in the US on the VWP or B1/B2 visa, you need a return ticket or proof of your ability to leave the US. For example on onward ticket to somewhere outside the US. If you are arriving in the the US on a visa, except B1/B2, that isn't a requirement.

Likewise if you are a US citizen arriving in the UK as a visitor, you run a good chance of being refused entry unless you have a return ticket.

As the OP is returning home to the UK neither applies and he can buy the ticket which is cheapest.
Old May 7th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have miles on any airlines ?
I have AA miles and was able to use those to get a 1 way ticket to the US for my move over there in a couple of weeks
Old May 7th 2012, 10:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The airlines don't like it, but lots of people do it. So the short answer is no.
The only thing to look at is the small print. The airline might charge you a fee for not using the return portion of the ticket.

The chances of this though is generally slim, unless you do this on a regular basis.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The only thing to look at is the small print. The airline might charge you a fee for not using the return portion of the ticket.

The chances of this though is generally slim, unless you do this on a regular basis.
The small print will almost certainly say somewhere that the airline reserves the right to charge, so probably isn't the best indicator whether they will or not.

There's lots of discussion around "throw-away ticketing" (what this is) on Flyertalk, and from what I've read it usually takes serious abuse (think, weekly commuting) to get done for this.

If it were me I'd just do it, but I wouldn't let the airline know what I'm up to.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all

To Philk - yep I have quite alot of BA points still from a "previous life as a global auditor" but the only flights available when we need to travel using points are night flights and we would like to get the 8am from JFK

Last edited by NSBlake; May 8th 2012 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
The small print will almost certainly say somewhere that the airline reserves the right to charge, so probably isn't the best indicator whether they will or not.

There's lots of discussion around "throw-away ticketing" (what this is) on Flyertalk, and from what I've read it usually takes serious abuse (think, weekly commuting) to get done for this.

If it were me I'd just do it, but I wouldn't let the airline know what I'm up to.
I read that it's best to call the airline just before the 'return' date and cancel your flight.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I read that it's best to call the airline just before the 'return' date and cancel your flight.
People have suggested that as a possible option here on BE before but I would suggest the opposite based on what I have read on Flyertalk.

I would only contact the airline if you were going to try to get the tax back, but there is still always a risk attached if you actively bring the fact that you are modifying your itinerary to the attention of a human being at the airline, as they then have the option to charge you the "correct" price for your itinerary, which is the difference between the return fare and the one-way one.

If you simply do nothing and do not show up then you always have the fact that something "cropped up" as your defence after the fact. In practice this defence is highly unlikely to be needed as airlines do not appear to scrutinize no-shows, especially if you're not a repeat offender. In other words just let it slip under the radar.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

just be reading your previous posts. Shouldn't your company be paying for your repatriation costs as you are on an L1? I thought that was one of the advantages of an L1 visa. If so, why aren't they arranging your flights?
Old May 8th 2012, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjmb
just be reading your previous posts. Shouldn't your company be paying for your repatriation costs as you are on an L1? I thought that was one of the advantages of an L1 visa. If so, why aren't they arranging your flights?

My Company has to pay for economy tickets back just for us two - we want to fly premium economy and this would be the cheapest way of doing it (we will pay the difference).

The last two times we booked premium economy and turned up with the baby and asked for an upgrade we got it.........that was great as we used points and only paid taxes for premium economy tickets and got to fly in club (the little one even got a spare seat so just laid there for the 6/7 hrs and slept.)
Old May 8th 2012, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
People have suggested that as a possible option here on BE before but I would suggest the opposite based on what I have read on Flyertalk.

I would only contact the airline if you were going to try to get the tax back, but there is still always a risk attached if you actively bring the fact that you are modifying your itinerary to the attention of a human being at the airline, as they then have the option to charge you the "correct" price for your itinerary, which is the difference between the return fare and the one-way one.

If you simply do nothing and do not show up then you always have the fact that something "cropped up" as your defence after the fact. In practice this defence is highly unlikely to be needed as airlines do not appear to scrutinize no-shows, especially if you're not a repeat offender. In other words just let it slip under the radar.
If you call the day before you are due to return...say due to a family emergency you will have to delay. Then your ticket will be held for 6/12 months...then you can just forget about it.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:27 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you call the day before you are due to return...say due to a family emergency you will have to delay. Then your ticket will be held for 6/12 months...then you can just forget about it.
When this happens they cancel your return ticket and apply a credit amount against your name that expires after a certain time. This credit usually has an admin fee deducted from it first. What this fee is and whether the airline will do it at all varies by airline and also by booking class of ticket. Sometimes the deduction can be hefty, and could even cancel out the credit entirely.

It's probably worth reading the ticketing terms before picking the phone up, not least to have an understang of what you believe you're entitled to. Airline call centre employees are notoriously under-trained, and I've read that many of the complex one-off calculations they have to make are done manually - so different agents will act differently in response to the same question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.