Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/USA citizen - what about my daughter?

UK/USA citizen - what about my daughter?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

katrinacov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/USA citizen - what about my daughter?

I recently obtained my British passport...so I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. I got this as I was born before 1983, and my dad was and still is a British Citizen. So I got citizenship through descent I suppose is what they call it.

I was wondering if my daughter (whom I had through a now ended marriage to a USA citizen) could possibly get dual nationality as well..through me? Even tho I got mine through descent. Is this possible. She was born in 2007.Ive tried reading the info but its unclear to me.

I also have the issue - I am moving to the UK in Sept, while my daughter will primarily live with my ex husband in the states. I am looking into what possibility and rights I have for her to visit me? I have joint custody right now. Can my ex deny her coming to see me?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/USA citizen - what about my daughter?

I would imagine if you're a British citizen, regardless of how you became that way, that your child would have the same entitlement?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I would imagine if you're a British citizen, regardless of how you became that way, that your child would have the same entitlement?
No - someone who is a British citizen "by descent" cannot automatically pass on that British citizenship to a child born outside of the UK (which, I assume, is the case here) unless that person has actually lived in the UK for a certain period of time.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter has no automatic entitlement to British Citizenship.

She ??might?? be entitled to indefinite leave to remain if you and her move to the UK before she turns a particular age (ie in her childhood), which could lead to citizenship.

Hopefully Jaj will be along with the details or to admonish me for giving you hope where there is little.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katrinacov
...Can my ex deny her coming to see me?
Yes he can...it's up to the courts, but he can if he wants.

As for citizenship, as others have mentioned, it depends where she was born, if you both have lived in the UK etc. You, as descent, don't automatically pass on citizenship.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
No - someone who is a British citizen "by descent" cannot automatically pass on that British citizenship to a child born outside of the UK (which, I assume, is the case here) unless that person has actually lived in the UK for a certain period of time.
Ahhh, I see.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:18 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Your child does not appear to qualify for registration for british citizenship. You can read the requirements for registration here:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...ritishcitizen/

I recently obtained my British passport...so I am a dual citizen of the UK and USA. I got this as I was born before 1983, and my dad was and still is a British Citizen. So I got citizenship through descent I suppose is what they call it.

I was wondering if my daughter (whom I had through a now ended marriage to a USA citizen) could possibly get dual nationality as well..through me? Even tho I got mine through descent. Is this possible. She was born in 2007.Ive tried reading the info but its unclear to me.

I also have the issue - I am moving to the UK in Sept, while my daughter will primarily live with my ex husband in the states. I am looking into what possibility and rights I have for her to visit me? I have joint custody right now. Can my ex deny her coming to see me?
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For your daughter to get British citizenship, she has to live in the UK for 3 years and apply for registration as a British citizen before the age of 18:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...livingintheuk/

Or she would need to become naturalised as an adult on her own merits.

If she was to live in the UK, you could possibly sponsor her for a settlement visa but the custody issues would need to be resolved.

She can visit you (as a tourist) with a US passport, but she needs permission of the custodial parent. This should be less of an issue as she gets older.
Old May 3rd 2010, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If your father or either of his parents was born in Ireland or Northern Ireland (not uncommon for British citizens), then your daughter could be registered as an Irish citizen.

If your father hasn't become a US citizen, he should normally do so.