Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/USA bank account?

Wikiposts

UK/USA bank account?

Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/USA bank account?

Originally Posted by Owen778
I'm not going to address all of your points in detail, since on one that is central to your argument, you are confused.

For people with SSNs, they can address it through the credit bureaus or other databases. This is specifically allowed by the regulation, as I explained.

No! A US person is specifically defined in each relevant regulation. For tax reasons, a US person is any US citizen or resident. This includes both permanent residents, and temporary residents who satisfy the substantial presence test. If you were ever a US resident taxpayer, you could have opened a US online account, if only you'd realised that this made you a US person.

Classification of Taxpayers for U.S. Tax Purposes
Exactly.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
For people with SSNs, they can address it through the credit bureaus or other databases. This is specifically allowed by the regulation, as I explained.
Sigh. The regulation is bullshit, that was my point. You can't identify someone by SSN using a credit history if they don't have one. The non-documentary method is not generally used because it's not workable, the regs give two options, so they go with documentary methods because it's more clear cut. And that essentially requires you to be a US person.

Like I said, I've actually had a long conversation with a lawyer responsible for writing up a CIP at a major commercial bank, this is not my imagination.

A US person is specifically defined in each relevant regulation. For tax reasons, a US person is any US citizen or resident. This includes both permanent residents, and temporary residents who satisfy the substantial presence test. If you were ever a US resident taxpayer, you could have opened a US online account, if only you'd realised that this made you a US person.
We're not talking about tax reasons... that was my point in quoting the bank regulations... the definition is different.

(7) U.S. person means:
(i) A United States citizen; or
(ii) A person other than an individual
(such as a corporation, partnership, or
trust), that is established or organized
under the laws
That's the BANKING REGULATION, not the tax regulation. 31 CFR 103.121(7), aka Title 31, not Title 26, which is the internal revenue code. And this regulation was imposed by the USA PATRIOT Act, when they were in full paranoia mode.

Non-US person includes an LPR, but LPRs can easily be identified by their US-issued alien registration cards, banks usually don't want to risk going further than that. As I illustrated by quoting the Bank of Internet website.

The reason being you've got to send it to them electronically, and they aren't going to trust a foreign passport.

Last edited by Steve_; Aug 26th 2014 at 12:13 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly.
Exactly wrong, and I have to wonder how much experience either of you have with this directly.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Exactly wrong, and I have to wonder how much experience either of you have with this directly.
More than you.

You add a lot to many different threads on BE, for that I respect you, but on this one you have the wrong end of the stick, and unfortunately seem to want to carry on defending your erroneous position.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
As I told you in my first post in the thread, I have plenty of experience with this directly. I am currently on an L1-B non-immigrant visa. In the space of the last year, I have opened two online banking accounts, with GE Capital Bank and Barclays, and an online brokerage account, with Vanguard. I was able to use "non-documentary methods" just fine with all three, and I didn't try and fail with any other providers first.

You are a non-US resident. The mistake you keep making is to believe that your experience must be the same as someone who is resident in the US on a non-immigrant visa. Please get it into your head that it is not.

I will not go about rebutting your reply to me again, as I don't think I can be any clearer. Your understanding of the conversation with the lawyer is fundamentally flawed because you misunderstood, both then and now, what he meant by "US person" in that context.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like HSBC isnt so good over in USA. I am with Santander and moving to Austin (TX). Looks like 0 ATM's so i am looking to open a American account.

I will want something with good saving rates and lots of ATM's! (like Santander in UK).

Anyone have experience in Austin?

[/highjackingsomoenesthread]
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jambodj
Sounds like HSBC isnt so good over in USA. I am with Santander and moving to Austin (TX). Looks like 0 ATM's so i am looking to open a American account.
Santander, are shit here too.

Savings and rates, will be shit, everywhere, just shit.

If you're transferring money from the UK, use a currency exchange service.

ATM's are everywhere, but who uses cash on a regular basis? A lot of banks will cover ATM fee's if used at another bank, but they often get you else where.

BoA, horrid, but they do tend to be everywhere, no idea about Austin mind.