British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-usa-119378/)

SKFras Nov 30th 2002 2:27 am

UK to USA

Hi there

i currently live in scotland, and have done all my life, i met my fiance who lives in kentucky in america,
we hope to be together within the next 2 years, i plan to move out there as we dont want to mvoe her kids over to scotland.
now we dont have a clue what to do, can anyone give me some guidlines on what to do, what would be the best way to go abotu things, we would like to live together for a few months and make sure everytihgn is ok.
any advice would be very much appreciated

thank you for your time
Fraser

Patrick Dec 4th 2002 9:14 am

Re: UK to USA

Originally posted by SKFras
Hi there

i currently live in scotland, and have done all my life, i met my fiance who lives in kentucky in america,
we hope to be together within the next 2 years, i plan to move out there as we dont want to mvoe her kids over to scotland.
now we dont have a clue what to do, can anyone give me some guidlines on what to do, what would be the best way to go abotu things, we would like to live together for a few months and make sure everytihgn is ok.

thank you for your time
Fraser

Hi Fraser,

There is no real way of you going over to america to live together as a couple then decide to get married. Every way of doing this will be false to nuclear family thing. The ways forward are

K1 fiance visa. You go over there on a fiance visa and then have 90 days to get married (and you may not be granted permission to work on entry) so living with your loved one whilst doing nothing gives a false impression of what life would be like if you where both working.

Marriage visa, you could get married and apply for the visa and move over then. This will give you no time to live together first.

You don't have many more options than that (unless you can get work sponsored) - the trouble with long distance relationships is that you don't get the luxury of living together first.

Good Luck

Patrick

Jo Brayne Dec 4th 2002 5:58 pm

visiting US

can't he go on a VWP for 90 days ? or are those rules by-the-by now?

southcoast Dec 5th 2002 9:37 pm

Hi there

thank you for your time
Fraser

If you go over on a Vistor waiver, you will have to get married within 90 days.
If however the customs officer suspects you are going there to get married, you will be deported on the spot. Once you are married be prepared for a nightmare of paperwork, (and you will have to get advanced parole just to leave the states, so be prepared for the long haul!)
90 days isn't alot of time to get to know someone, but if you think its worth it, then go for it and enjoy your new life.

extra good luck to you.

britci Dec 7th 2002 7:31 am

some Ideas

Hi there,me and my wife are currently going through the process,it takes time, I think all you can do at the moment is go over there on the visa waiver prgram as a tourist and see how it goes,youd get 3 months and maybe an extension of 1 month if your lucky,getting married is a big commitment.... Me and my wife are applying for 2 visa I-130 permanent resident and the KII(K3) spouse visa. it all takes time,all yous can do is stay in touch and read as much as possible,as for living there its not really hard but she has to start of the process...goodluck hope this helps.

MASON Mar 11th 2003 5:05 pm

Hi there

thank you for your time
Fraser
ill try to keep this breif,i met a woman online in 1999 oct,we talked on line and on the phone for three months,i went to visit in january,ky is cold in thee winter ,i know,i was only going for a week and stayed 6,returned to england to sort out paperwork,it was a nightmaare ,so i kept flying back and forth for nearly 18 months on a visa waiver£££££££,i left ky for the last time on sept 12/2002.my lady sent in the i129f and we was on our way with the k1 visa process,i only wish we had started earlier,i have been back in london for 5 months now and am not happy without the amazing woman i met over two years ago.we only just got our first NOA but at least we know we are in the process,so my advice to you is ,go look learn and love,i should write a book but i think tom hanks played my part already. good luck in what ever choice you make.