Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US Via Mexico

UK to US Via Mexico

Old Jul 11th 2021, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

BenC123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US Via Mexico

Hello, I haven't seen this asked so I'm sorry if it has been.

We all know that travel from the UK to US is not allowed at this time, for British citizens. Is there anything stopping me from flying from the UK to Mexico, via Spain, staying in Mexico for 14 days and they flying to the US from Mexico? Entering the US with an ESTA.

I have done extensive research and I can't see any problems with this route. Are there any?

Thank you.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to US Via Mexico

Many have gone that route. Well not via Spain.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

There is a youtube travel vlogger who did it. In an earlier vlog, he went from Paris to Mexico City.

Old Jul 11th 2021, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

That’s how my family visited me in LA last month. They stayed for 2 weeks in Cabo and I even visited them for a long weekend.

CBP did not ask any Qs when they arrived at LAX. Apparently there was no line either as everyone else on the plane was citizen/GCH.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 9:03 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenC123
Hello, I haven't seen this asked so I'm sorry if it has been.

We all know that travel from the UK to US is not allowed at this time, for British citizens. Is there anything stopping me from flying from the UK to Mexico, via Spain, staying in Mexico for 14 days and they flying to the US from Mexico? Entering the US with an ESTA.

I have done extensive research and I can't see any problems with this route. Are there any?

Thank you.
What are the entry requirements for entering Spain from the UK, and for entering Mexico from Spain?

Old Jul 17th 2021, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Looking into this for my mother’s visit in September. She’s retired now so can take all the time she needs to get here and if 2 weeks in Mexico work out well with flight times and prices then I’m sure she will enjoy it.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you'll want to go via Spain but It's not an issue coming into Spain, simply fill in your passenger locater form and you're in.

Onwards to Mexico won't be an issue either, 14 days in Mexico then a pcr test before flying to the US and you are done, I will be doing this in September if Biden doesn't get a grip and lift the travel ban.

I wouldn't go home via Spain though, Boris is likely to put Spain on either the red list or the new Amber plus they've invented over the last few days like France, so you'll likely to end up having to quarantine for 10 days once home.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howmuch
Not sure why you'll want to go via Spain but It's not an issue coming into Spain, simply fill in your passenger locater form and you're in.

Onwards to Mexico won't be an issue either, 14 days in Mexico then a pcr test before flying to the US and you are done, I will be doing this in September if Biden doesn't get a grip and lift the travel ban.

I wouldn't go home via Spain though, Boris is likely to put Spain on either the red list or the new Amber plus they've invented over the last few days like France, so you'll likely to end up having to quarantine for 10 days once home.
You won’t need to travel via a 3rd country to go back home. UK does not prohibit American Travelers. In fact the USA is now on the Amber List meaning no hotel quarantine. It’s only coming into The USA is a problem 🙄. I really don’t know what the problem is at this point though now to still keep anyone coming from the uk banned. They say they are following science- if that’s the case why not have only Vaccinated People travel? With the NHS having its own Vaccine Passport unlike here it should be easy enough. If that is not sufficient then why are restrictions being lifted in both countries with regards to mask mandates with so called vaccinated people where there is no way of finding out who is vaccinated or who is not? They are separating families for too long now. I for one haven’t seen my own parents for 2 years now 😪
Old Aug 8th 2021, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

lme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nice

We spent 15 nights, 14 clear days in Mexico before it went red, then flew to Florida. Had our ESTAs cancelled 6 hrs before the flight to Florida and had to reapply for them in Cancun airport. Missed our flight but got on the next one. Immigration in Florida were very thorough and we got taken to the naughty room to get all our passports stamped manually and to ask more questions. So be prepared for things to be difficult, but many people have done it.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 7:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lme30005
We spent 15 nights, 14 clear days in Mexico before it went red, then flew to Florida. Had our ESTAs cancelled 6 hrs before the flight to Florida and had to reapply for them in Cancun airport. Missed our flight but got on the next one. Immigration in Florida were very thorough and we got taken to the naughty room to get all our passports stamped manually and to ask more questions. So be prepared for things to be difficult, but many people have done it.
Were you given any explanation as to why your ESTAs were cancelled?
Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

lme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Were you given any explanation as to why your ESTAs were cancelled?
No explanation given. The airport staff tried to get the ESTAs reinstated but Homeland Security refused. We checked in online the day before and the system must have just seen a UK passport and cancelled them automatically. I had heard of it happening but was hoping it would be sorted with a phonecalll, but no. Ten hours in Cancun airport wasn't much fun!
Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No explanation given. The airport staff tried to get the ESTAs reinstated but Homeland Security refused. We checked in online the day before and the system must have just seen a UK passport and cancelled them automatically. I had heard of it happening but was hoping it would be sorted with a phonecalll, but no. Ten hours in Cancun airport wasn't much fun!
Thanks for the heads up. We are due to fly to DFW from Mexico City next Sunday but we’ll be spending Saturday night at an airport hotel as I assumed there may be issues and wanted to give ourselves plenty of time to deal with them. Looks like that was the right choice.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thanks for the heads up. We are due to fly to DFW from Mexico City next Sunday but we’ll be spending Saturday night at an airport hotel as I assumed there may be issues and wanted to give ourselves plenty of time to deal with them. Looks like that was the right choice.
It may help if you don't check in online, they may not get automatically cancelled that way
Old Aug 8th 2021, 9:15 pm

It may help if you don't check in online, they may not get automatically cancelled that way
Duly noted. Thanks for the tip I will report back.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Tinkerbell4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to US Via mrxivo

do you need to quarantine for 7 days on arrival in usa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.