Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US Via Mexico

UK to US Via Mexico

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US Via mrxivo

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell4
do you need to quarantine for 7 days on arrival in usa
No federal quarantine is enforced in the US.

Also Canada will become an option from the 7th Sept
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Tinkerbell4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to US Via Mexico

Thank you. So desperate to see my son and family. So I can go to Barbados for 15 days and if test negative fir Covid enter usa and not have to isolate. do I need to take a further test when in usa?
Old Sep 4th 2021, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

lme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nicelme30005 is just really nice
Default Re: UK to US Via mrxivo

do you need to quarantine for 7 days on arrival in usa
No, I think there's a recommendation in some states and mandatory in others. We flew into Florida so no need there. Check the health site of the state you are flying into
Old Sep 5th 2021, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

No U.S. State *enforces* a quarantine UK or NZ-style. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. So desperate to see my son and family. So I can go to Barbados for 15 days and if test negative fir Covid enter usa and not have to isolate. do I need to take a further test when in usa?
Correct. You can stay in any non-restricted country for 15 days, check-in/board with a negative test result (e.g. PCR) taken with 3 days prior to arrival, and enter US directly without isolating assuming all other usual entry requirements are met (valid ESTA etc).
Old Sep 28th 2021, 12:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Duly noted. Thanks for the tip I will report back.
Probably less interest now given recent news but this route was successful - no cancelled ESTAs - but the airlines will refuse to allow you to fly unless you wait until the 15th day outside the UK. 14 x 24 hours since leaving the UK/arriving in Mexico is not acceptable. The CBP confirmed over the phone that this is not their requirement but the airlines are obviously playing it safe. In the end our flight was cancelled anyway so AA rebooked us for the following day but we would’ve had to pay for a second flight otherwise.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

Currently sat in my hotel in Mexico after leaving the EU on the 15th and arriving early on the 16th, tomorrow the 30th I have a flight booked to the US, after reading the above I’m now worried that I might get turned away despite being in Mexico over the 14 full 24 hour periods….

I’ll report back soon with how it goes
Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howmuch
Currently sat in my hotel in Mexico after leaving the EU on the 15th and arriving early on the 16th, tomorrow the 30th I have a flight booked to the US, after reading the above I’m now worried that I might get turned away despite being in Mexico over the 14 full 24 hour periods….

I’ll report back soon with how it goes
You’ll be fine. Safe travels.
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
You’ll be fine. Safe travels.
I was, thanks.Got to the checkout and the lady checking us in was fine, stopped for a few seconds and counted on her fingers whilst we held our breath then wanted the visas and we went through.
Total in time in Mexico was 14 full days or 336 hours plus a spare 8 hours, we flew with Frontier so not sure if this was there policy vs other airlines.

All fine walking into the US, they literally asked have you been in the EU in the previous 14 days to which we answered no, he then wished us a great stay.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 5:31 am
Just Joined

BenC123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I had no idea that other people also did this. Maybe someone saw my thread and got into the US the same way!! That would be great.

I had no problems at all, 14 full days in Mexico, flew into the US no problem and had a great 10 weeks in Florida and New York.

It looks like the path will be clear in November. Happy travels.