Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/US tax question

UK/US tax question

Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

emperor41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/US tax question

I have a question I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with. I am a LPR, married to a USC, living in the US, and have done for about 5 1/2 years (I did the k1 visa thing).

I have a flat in the UK which I rent out, and get rental income from, which is paid into a UK bank account (which has a running balance of about 3k GBP.) I file a tax return every year in the UK through my UK accountant and therefore pay tax to the UK govt on my rental income, and any interest earned from my UK bank account (about 2 GBP per annum!).

Do I need to be paying tax on this in the US as well?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US tax question

Originally Posted by emperor41
I have a question I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with. I am a LPR, married to a USC, living in the US, and have done for about 5 1/2 years (I did the k1 visa thing).

I have a flat in the UK which I rent out, and get rental income from, which is paid into a UK bank account (which has a running balance of about 3k GBP.) I file a tax return every year in the UK through my UK accountant and therefore pay tax to the UK govt on my rental income, and any interest earned from my UK bank account (about 2 GBP per annum!).

Do I need to be paying tax on this in the US as well?
Sorry I don't know....but you declare it on your US tax return right?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I don't know....but you declare it on your US tax return right?
Well, I haven't because I already pay tax on it in the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:37 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you declare the money in the UK savings account?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should declare ALL worldwide income to the IRS.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Do you declare the money in the UK savings account?
No, because it is less than $10,000.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:47 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

No, because it is less than $10,000.
Correct - problem solved
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Correct - problem solved
So I should just let sleeping dogs lie?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
Junior Showtime

Thats how I declare mine.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

There is no need to declare the account to the IRS as long as you do not have a total of more than $10K in all foreign accounts...not just this one.

Your biggest problem it seems is that you have not declared any of the rental income in your US tax returns.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is no need to declare the account to the IRS as long as you do not have a total of more than $10K in all foreign accounts...not just this one.

Your biggest problem it seems is that you have not declared any of the rental income in your US tax returns.
I only have one foreign account, and that is the one I mentioned already. I had no idea that I was supposed to delcare the UK rental income in the US, because it is declared and taxed in the UK. What should I do?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I only have one foreign account, and that is the one I mentioned already. I had no idea that I was supposed to delcare the UK rental income in the US, because it is declared and taxed in the UK. What should I do?
Maybe someone on here will come along and give you an answer.

If it was me I'd ask an accountant who is experienced in foreign taxation...I don't know whether you should even be paying tax in the UK now you're an LPR. I would certainly include the income on your US tax return from now on.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:20 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

As I recall you declare it as income and the tax paid, and it becomes a tax credit. From experience I would benefit because the UK tax paid was more than I would've under US tax %'s and so I saw a little back. That said, find a tax advisor that works with expats. I'm in the DC area and mine has a lot of expats from around the world and seems clued up.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The other question is - if you are resident in the US, why file a UK tax return and pay taxes in the UK? Or if you have to file the UK tax return, surely you shouldn't have anything to pay on account of not being resident there?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Dan725
The other question is - if you are resident in the US, why file a UK tax return and pay taxes in the UK? Or if you have to file the UK tax return, surely you shouldn't have anything to pay on account of not being resident there?
Exactly...that's why I recommend she consults with an accountant who is experienced in foreign taxation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.