Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

Old Jan 2nd 2016, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does a bank have to do with the visa waiver program?
Don't they also deal with the Mastercard waiver program?
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 11:16 pm
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point

What does a bank have to do with the visa waiver program?
It doesn't, I just managed to buy without having to have a visa by using HSBC!
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 12:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanes
It doesn't, .....
So you've changed your mind?
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 12:36 am
Looking for tax advice!

So you've changed your mind?
No certainly not, I am looking for someone who can advice me on business and personal tax. Once I have discovered the Financial implications I can then decide if I am able to afford to proceed or whether I have to realign my UK interests.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 12:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No certainly not, I am looking for someone who can advice me on business and personal tax. Once I have discovered the Financial implications I can then decide if I am able to afford to proceed or whether I have to realign my UK interests.
But you've already bought a house and incurred a 30 year US dollar liability! Isn't it a bit late to "decide if you are able to afford to proceed"? It is that which seems odd to me, and to the others here. What were you thinking?
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:32 am
Looking for tax advice!

But you've already bought a house and incurred a 30 year US dollar liability! Isn't it a bit late to "decide if you are able to afford to proceed"? It is that which seems odd to me, and to the others here. What were you thinking?
So buying a house in the US means I pay tax in the US on all of my other global income??
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 4:55 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

So buying a house in the US means I pay tax in the US on all of my other global income??
No, I think the "30 year liability" was probably in reference to an assumed mortgage. If you are not a US resident yet you'll just have to pay US tax on your US source income......ie any rent you might get for the house or capital gain. And don't forget state tax and local real estate taxes. Of course you will probably also be liable in your country of residence.

What US visa are you hoping to get?

Last edited by nun; Jan 3rd 2016 at 5:12 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 7:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't, I just managed to buy without having to have a visa by using HSBC!
Just to clarify for the sake of anybody reading, that no visa is required to buy in the US anyway. You need a visa to live in the property, but not to purchase it - anybody can buy property in the US without even visiting if they wish!
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to clarify for the sake of anybody reading, that no visa is required to buy in the US anyway. You need a visa to live in the property, but not to purchase it - anybody can buy property in the US without even visiting if they wish!
But as it is US sited real property any gain on sale would be subject to US income tax plus possibly UK CGT. On death the value of US situs real property is subject to US estate tax, which is why many NRAs do not buy property held in their own name, but would use a corporate structure instead.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
True, and moreover you can buy property in the US even if you are prohibited from entering the US!
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

True, and moreover you can buy property in the US even if you are prohibited from entering the US!
But the FIRPTA rate has just gone up on some properties; so the withholding tax on sale might be larger.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
But as it is US sited real property any gain on sale would be subject to US income tax plus possibly UK CGT..
it is possible to make a gain in one country and a loss in the other depending on exchange rate
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
it is possible to make a gain in one country and a loss in the other depending on exchange rate
And for numerous other tax adjustments that differ between countries, including but not confined to depreciation, inflation allowance, permissible capital cost adjustments, etc.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:01 am
Looking for tax advice!

Originally Posted by mrken30
I spoke to these people and they were very knowledgeable on both US and UK taxes. They are a bit spendy.

Helena Turner | Associate Director | US Tax and Financial Services Limited
Magdalen House, 136 Tooley Street, London SE1 2TU
Tel: +44 (0) 207 357 8220

US Tax and Financial Services Limited is a member of the US Tax & Financial Services Group Ltd. Group members have offices in London, Zurich, Geneva and Tel Aviv.

Please visit US Income Tax Services & Consultants | US Tax & Financial Services
Thanks, I'll put in a call.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:08 am
Looking for tax advice!

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I came across this site on the IRS/Treasury website where you can look up IRS qualified tax accountants in your country of choice.

http://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf

If you select UK then leave the zipcode field blank it will list 380 tax preparers that you can scroll through. Most are located in London.
Thanks, wouldn't I be better to get someone from the U.S.?