Reload this Page >

UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

Old Dec 8th 2015, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Cal_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

Hello,
I am looking for a tax adviser familiar with UK and US taxes that can help me understand what to do to return to the UK after 17 years in the US.

I have read that Pete Newton from britishexpatstax is great but after trying for the last month via phone and email, I have never been able to get in contact with him.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Preferably in the NY area?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8th 2015, 10:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK/US Tax Adviser Recommendation

You'll find it hard to find someone in the US who will understand the UK side of things....or maybe I should say, who will give the UK side sufficient emphasis. Go over to the tax forum at

UK Yankee | Expat Americans in the UK

and ask your questions. There are a number of dual qualified advisors in the UK that can help you and might suggest some advisors.

Some general rules would be.

1) Organize your US retirement accounts so that they are easy to manage from the UK. Moving them to IRAs with someone like Vanguard is something to think about.
2) Any non-retirement investments should be UK tax efficient. So they should be in UK reporting funds and you should make sure your UK brokerage is ok with servicing your account as a UK resident. Vanguard and Vanguard ETFs are a good way to do this.
3) Realize any capital gains before you become UK tax resident.

Last edited by nun; Dec 9th 2015 at 12:08 am.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 12:39 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The basic steps above are for a US citizen. If you are a green card holder or on another visa it's probably easier to move your non-retirement money back to the UK and reinvest it. You should make sure your US taxes are up to date and see if there will be a need to file an 8854 IRS expatriation form. If you are a green card holder you should also consider your immigration status and read up about the I-407.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cal_Brit
Hello,
I am looking for a tax adviser familiar with UK and US taxes that can help me understand what to do to return to the UK after 17 years in the US.

I have read that Pete Newton from britishexpatstax is great but after trying for the last month via phone and email, I have never been able to get in contact with him.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Preferably in the NY area?

Thanks!
I came across this site on the IRS/Treasury website where you can look up IRS qualified tax accountants in your country of choice.

http://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf

If you select UK then leave the zipcode field blank it will list 380 tax preparers that you can scroll through. Most are located in London.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to these people and they were very knowledgeable on both US and UK taxes. They are a bit spendy.

Helena Turner | Associate Director | US Tax and Financial Services Limited
Magdalen House, 136 Tooley Street, London SE1 2TU
Tel: +44 (0) 207 357 8220

US Tax and Financial Services Limited is a member of the US Tax & Financial Services Group Ltd. Group members have offices in London, Zurich, Geneva and Tel Aviv.

Please visit US Income Tax Services & Consultants | US Tax & Financial Services
Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

kayte is an unknown quantity at this point

I have moved from the UK to California. I have a business in the UK and in California and need an accountant that can help with my international taxes. Any suggestions please?
Old Jan 1st 2016, 6:26 pm
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kayte
I have moved from the UK to California. I have a business in the UK and in California and need an accountant that can help with my international taxes. Any suggestions please?
Hi Kayte, I have the same issues at present. We are moving to Northern California June and am trying to get some GOOD tax advice. We have business interests in the UK and have been hearing some real horror stories on the U.S. Global tax situation. If you hear of anyone could you let me know. I will do the same for you I hear.
Thanks
Alvin

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 1st 2016 at 7:00 pm. Reason: Email address removed to save you from the spambots and weirdos! The OP can contact you via the forum.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I spoke to these people and they were very knowledgeable on both US and UK taxes. They are a bit spendy. Helena Turner | Associate Director | US Tax and Financial Services Limited
Interestingly, this person does NOT feature in the IRS Directory; which lists the only people who are qualified to advise on US tax issues. As there are no legal requirements to have passed any exams before offering tax advice, the IRS offers their very helpful Directory which lists the only individuals who are qualified to advise on US tax matters; and which can be found here:http://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf.
It is always prudent to only select an adviser from those who are qualified to advise on US tax matters and whose names are therefore published by the IRS. The IRS list is an excellent tool that is designed to help check if any adviser or proposed adviser has any tax credentials within the United States. Most individuals who also want UK tax advice will naturally also want to check that any proposed tax adviser is qualified with at least one professional accounting or tax institution in the UK as well as in the United States so that they know that the adviser is also adequately regulated in the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Interestingly, this person does NOT feature in the IRS Directory; which lists the only people who are qualified to advise on US tax issues. As there are no legal requirements to have passed any exams before offering tax advice, the IRS offers their very helpful Directory which lists the only individuals who are qualified to advise on US tax matters; and which can be found here:http://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf.
It is always prudent to only select an adviser from those who are qualified to advise on US tax matters and whose names are therefore published by the IRS. The IRS list is an excellent tool that is designed to help check if any adviser or proposed adviser has any tax credentials within the United States. Most individuals who also want UK tax advice will naturally also want to check that any proposed tax adviser is qualified with at least one professional accounting or tax institution in the UK as well as in the United States so that they know that the adviser is also adequately regulated in the UK.
It is a bit of a guess but these are probably the two members registered with the IRS. Their linkedin profiles match up with the UK company and they are individually listed with the IRS list.

ALBIN, BRADLEY Attorney
London, , E14 9GE, GB
ALDRIDGE, ANDREW CLYDE Attorney
London, , E14 9GE, GB
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 12:45 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Finding folks that are real experts in UK taxes and US taxes is hard. The big accounting and audit firms have some people with both sets of skills but they're very expensive.

The US end is going to be where most of your work is. Partly because it's going to be (presumably) new to you. And certainly because any US resident is going to be taxed on their worldwide income! Circumventing that is going to be difficult and expensive, if not impossible.

Here is a Bay Area firm that I have used and feel comfortable recommending. One of the senior partners is a friend of a friend. But I did use the firm for personal US taxes during my UK -> US transition. Also to help establish and prepare taxes for a small business which I part owned.

They don't have specific expertise in UK taxes but do appear to fully understand the implications of overseas income when preparing US taxes.

Polly, Scatena, Vasheresse & May: Polly, Scatena, Vasheresse & May, CPA - Welcome to our Web site
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 1:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanes
Hi Kayte, I have the same issues at present. We are moving to Northern California June and am trying to get some GOOD tax advice. We have business interests in the UK and have been hearing some real horror stories on the U.S. Global tax situation. ....?
Given that once you relocate to the US you will be taxed on your world wide income, you may have already shot yourself in the foot. Shouldn't you have found a competent tax adviser before you commited yourself to coming? (I am assuming you have a visa, though I see no evidence from your postings that you do have a visa or any way to get one. )
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 3:31 am
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point

We have not relocated to the US as yet. We are looking to start the wheels in motion shortly. We bought a house via HSBC who operate in the Visa waiver program. The tax advice is needed prior to us going ahead 100%.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanes
..... We bought a house via HSBC who operate in the Visa waiver program. ....
What does a bank have to do with the visa waiver program?
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 7:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Finding folks that are real experts in UK taxes and US taxes is hard. The big accounting and audit firms have some people with both sets of skills but they're very expensive.

The US end is going to be where most of your work is. Partly because it's going to be (presumably) new to you. And certainly because any US resident is going to be taxed on their worldwide income! Circumventing that is going to be difficult and expensive, if not impossible.
Many thousands of people migrate from the U.S. to the UK each year. Most of them have to continue to deal with US taxes, maybe state taxes too, as well as British taxes, which will be new to them. Whereas probably most people who move from the UK to US no longer have to deal with British taxes after the relocation. (They possibly have one bumpy and complex transition year.) So wouldn't the UK end be where a lot of the work is?

Of course, a lot of Americans in the UK are blissfully ignorant of their tax reporting obligations....
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 7:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does a bank have to do with the visa waiver program?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.