Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK-US special relationship

UK-US special relationship

Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice
Default Re: UK-US special relationship

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The Americans?

Lothian dear, when YOU come over and spend some time in the USA yourself, THEN I will be happy to take your observations, currently based on second hand reports, a bit more seriously.
From my experience, we share much more with ABCS countries than others. I have served with UK forces in the most sensitive of assignments, and they are exceptional officers and NCOs.

At the Strategic level, yes, there are some troubling issues that do present themselves.

Much to the disdain of some posters here, the strongest was Churchill-Roosevelt, other than that Reagan-Thatcher.

I do not think that is Cameron’s fault. He is a conservative dealing with a liberal US government. This difference happens frequently in the special relationship. Bush-Blair etc…

I fully believe the “relationship” is intact and supports the UK policy of maintaining a distance from the continent. Otherwise the UK would just be fully absorbed into the EU system.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

SATX John - can you clarify what you mean by ABCS countries?

I'm not familiar with the term

Cheers

HTS
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Cheers

HTS
ABCA? -American, British, Canadian, Australasian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABCA_Armies
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:08 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I'm sure this guy feels all warm and fuzzy about the "special relationship";
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17355203
Seems to me like he's complaining about being sent for trial for committing a crime... If anyone earns £150k from copyright infringement (promotion of or actually undertaken) then they shouldn't be surprised if/when it catches up with them...
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

I think the special relationship exists but its really manifested in the historic cultural and trading links between the two countries. The fact that the States inherited British political culture, the fact that a significant proportion of the population are of British and Irish descent; the fact that the elite were WASPs for much of the 19th and 20th century with strong links to the mother country and the impact this had on the cultural blueprint.

Foreign relations is where it starts to get messy. For instance the level of military and intelligence sharing between the UK and the US is huge but they do not tend to back us over the Falklands. That's because there are other factors in place - the U.S policy is to be neutral and always has been (though they did provide sidewinders and military intelligence once they lost patience with the Argies in 1982). In fact the US ambassador to the UN actually attended a dinner at the Argentinian embassy shortly after she heard of their invasion of the Falklands. Obama is just carrying on the same line as Reagan, Clinton, Bush Jr and Sr (negotiations over the islands have been called for since 1985). Reasons are the Monroe doctrine and the fact that the US needs allies in South America hence support for the Brits takes a back seat.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ex HM Forces and a little sensitive about the Falklands.

That said, as I had to remind myself recently, there's politics in public, and then there's action in private, even if it just appears as acquiescence... Although Obama calling the Falklands the Malvinas might embolden some people to be a little rash...

A UK dealing with another round of silliness in the South Atlantic will be less able to engage elsewhere in the world... Which might not be helpful to the US...

A submarine loaded with cruise missiles is a potent threat strategically... It
Could quickly close a major port, or remove an Argentine airbase from the order of battle...

I'd be curious to see what form of words would come out of H Clinton though if the Argies did anything precipitous... We're only a couple of weeks away from 30 yr anniversary.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The Americans?

Lothian dear, when YOU come over and spend some time in the USA yourself, THEN I will be happy to take your observations, currently based on second hand reports, a bit more seriously.
Aww don't be so hard on the Lad. I like his second, third & fourth hand effusions. I'm printing them out and sticking them in a commonplace book.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

HTS
I thought he was talking about countries who knew their ABCs ... then I realised the US was in the mix, so discounted that, on the grounds of illiteracy.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Aww don't be so hard on the Lad. I like his second, third & fourth hand effusions. I'm printing them out and sticking them in a commonplace book.

UK-US special relationship-images.jpg
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I do think The Lad should be declared a National Treasure, yes.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Martinsb will become famous soon enoughMartinsb will become famous soon enough

I'm ex HM Forces and a little sensitive about the Falklands.

That said, as I had to remind myself recently, there's politics in public, and then there's action in private, even if it just appears as acquiescence... Although Obama calling the Falklands the Malvinas might embolden some people to be a little rash...

A UK dealing with another round of silliness in the South Atlantic will be less able to engage elsewhere in the world... Which might not be helpful to the US...

A submarine loaded with cruise missiles is a potent threat strategically... It
Could quickly close a major port, or remove an Argentine airbase from the order of battle...

I'd be curious to see what form of words would come out of H Clinton though if the Argies did anything precipitous... We're only a couple of weeks away from 30 yr anniversary.
Have no fear, we will know well in advance when Argentina intends to launch military action against the Falklands, French munitions exports will increase exponentially!

While we are tidying up sovereignty issues, I have just had a telegram from the Spanish Embassy asking if they could please have Puerto Rico back at some point.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Martinsb
Have no fear, we will know well in advance when Argentina intends to launch military action against the Falklands, French munitions exports will increase exponentially!

While we are tidying up sovereignty issues, I have just had a telegram from the Spanish Embassy asking if they could please have Puerto Rico back at some point.
Then there's Hawaii .. the United States of America, to their credit, did apologise in 1993 for the annexation of Hawaii, but I notice that, nearly 20 years later, Hawaii is still on the roster of US possessions.

http://www.hawaii-nation.org/publawall.html
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:38 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Then there's Hawaii .. the United States of America, to their credit, did apologise in 1993 for the annexation of Hawaii, but I notice that, nearly 20 years later, Hawaii is still on the roster of US possessions.
http://www.hawaii-nation.org/publawall.html
Its the only US state flag to have the union flag in it.
Not a lot of people know that.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:42 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am amused that today's advert is for a Masters in Diplomacy.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am amused that today's advert is for a Masters in Diplomacy.
On my page it was "Isreal Under Threat - help Isreal: one small democracy surrounded by hostile enemies"

Should really be - Isreal: you make your bed and you lie in it, but that's another topic, what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.