Reload this Page >

uk/us questions

uk/us questions

Old Oct 15th 2001, 5:41 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna be there for mine too november 15th
I think i am just about packed apart from little things that the little one wants to take on the plane, kids ya know?
Old Oct 15th 2001, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

>>
If you are NOT a "brit" (i.e. don't hold a UK passport/don't speak English etc), you should be asked to pay for further treatment and pay accomodation charges if admitted.
>>
When you say "you are NOT a 'brit'" are you strictly talking about citizens or PRs, too? If the latter than I find it surprising that you must speak English in order to avoid payment for treatment and accomodation. After all (if this applies to the UK like it does in the US and correct me if I'm wrong), you can obtain legal PR in the US without speaking hardly any English at all! When I went in for my wife's AOS interview one of the interviewers was bragging to another that she had just given an AOS interview completely in Spanish and that this woman who only spoke Spanish had just become a PR of the US. I would imagine refugees and some other foreigners to the UK would probably be in the same situation? Would they, as legal residents of Britain not receive NHS health benefits?
-Matt
Old Oct 15th 2001, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no requirement to speak English in order to receive NHS benefits. You just have to look at the NHS information leaflets to find out that half of them are written in Urdu and Hindi.

Anyone who is "settled" in the UK is entitled to NHS benefits.
Old Oct 15th 2001, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

I appologise for my lax use of English. Read the previous sentence to the one you were talking about. It really does summarise the core of what I was told:

"I am typing this from memory, so excuse me if I get a detail wrong, however I clearly recall she did say that full NHS treatment is only available to those registered with a GP, have a UK medical card/number and are a UK resident or are EU residents and are treated under the reciprical arrangements for EU countries."

She also said that: "Strictly speaking admissions should always ask for your GP's name and address to cross check you."

She also said (in stronger terms actually that I won't relay here) there are some hospital adminstrators that can be quite 'selective' as to who they check up on. I am sure she also said that if they are pressed for time (like at busy times - Friday and Saturday nights when the idiots out there tend to get drunk and violent), they will make short cuts and only check up on those who 'appear' to be non British. I am not going to defend this behaviour, just pass onto you that it's not unknown.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Brian.
Old Oct 15th 2001, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

>There's no requirement to speak English in order to
>receive NHS benefits.

True. *I* never said anyone had to.

>You just have to look at the NHS information leaflets to
>find out that half of them are written in Urdu and Hindi.

Indeed.

*I* am just quoting what *I* am told by an NHS worker (which I am not).

>Anyone who is "settled" in the UK is entitled to NHS
>benefits.

It's interesting how what is written can be interpreted by different people... I was simply relaying what was said to me by an NHS worker. She knows of administrators (not all, just some she knows of), who take a view that when they are pushed for time, they follow thier gut feeling for who might be trying to "pull a fast one". It would appear that this is not by the rules, but they do get away with it.

It seems to me that these days hospital administrators in the UK are as pressed for cash as they can be for other resources. The result is not always pretty.

Brian.