Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US... pointers?

UK to US... pointers?

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

RichGardiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US... pointers?

Hello, this is my first time here so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I had a scan through and couldn't see anything that covered it.

I am wanting to work in US (Colorado to be precise) and am currently a UK citizen. What is, and what do i have to do to get, the appropriate VISA? Is it possible for my partner to move out there with me even though we are not married or engaged? I am a Masters degree graduate in engineering and would be working for a test centre out there. Is there some sort of skilled workers visa?

any information would be fantastic. a friend say it is easier to go via Canada as they are less stringent. Any truth in this?

Many thanks,

Richard
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Madz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to US... pointers?

Best bet is to get an H1-B (or temporary work visa), and for that you'll need to find an employer in the US who is willing to hire you. Might be quite difficult to do from the UK (but it is do-able, as my brother-in-law did it that way). Once you get an employer who is willing to hire you and do all the paperwork, the whole process will take about 3-4 months (unless the employer is willing to shell out $1000 extra for premium processing -- cuts wait time by a fair amount).

Try doing a job search online from the UK first -- send out your CV to as many employers in the US as possible. If you can take the time off, it might be worthwhile to come over on a tourist visa (which is an automatic stamp in your passport when you arrive in the US). That way, you can maybe follow up on some of your job applications.

Good Luck. ~Madz

Originally posted by RichGardiner:
Hello, this is my first time here so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I had a scan through and couldn't see anything that covered it.

I am wanting to work in US (Colorado to be precise) and am currently a UK citizen. What is, and what do i have to do to get, the appropriate VISA? Is it possible for my partner to move out there with me even though we are not married or engaged? I am a Masters degree graduate in engineering and would be working for a test centre out there. Is there some sort of skilled workers visa?

any information would be fantastic. a friend say it is easier to go via Canada as they are less stringent. Any truth in this?

Many thanks,

Richard
Old Sep 11th 2002, 11:06 pm
Steggy

RichGardiner wrote:
    > Hello, this is my first time here so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I
    > had a scan through and couldn't see anything that covered it.
    > I am wanting to work in US (Colorado to be precise) and am currently a UK citizen.
    > What is, and what do i have to do to get, the appropriate VISA? Is it possible for
    > my partner to move out there with me even though we are not married or engaged? I
    > am a Masters degree graduate in engineering and would be working for a test centre
    > out there. Is there some sort of skilled workers visa?
    > any information would be fantastic. a friend say it is easier to go via Canada as
    > they are less stringent. Any truth in this?
    > Many thanks,
    > Richard
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

You need to get your future employer to "sponsor" you. Which means that employer
needs to make clear to the INS and others that they really need you and your skills
are hard to find in America. No clue, but I have seen it work.

Check this page, see what is most suitable for you: < http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/services/visas-
.htm
>

Your partner is another story. I do not know if partners can be included in the
sponsorship visa. If not, she is just another individual I assume. My guess is you
need to get married to let that happen.

<http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/lpBin/lpe-
xt.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-21/slb-456?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-act101-
a15hiii>

under (L)
--
steg

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Madz:
Best bet is to get an H1-B (or temporary work visa), and for that you'll need to find an employer in the US who is willing to hire you. Might be quite difficult to do from the UK (but it is do-able, as my brother-in-law did it that way). Once you get an employer who is willing to hire you and do all the paperwork, the whole process will take about 3-4 months (unless the employer is willing to shell out $1000 extra for premium processing -- cuts wait time by a fair amount).

Try doing a job search online from the UK first -- send out your CV to as many employers in the US as possible. If you can take the time off, it might be worthwhile to come over on a tourist visa (which is an automatic stamp in your passport when you arrive in the US). That way, you can maybe follow up on some of your job applications.

Good Luck. ~Madz
----------------------

Yes, since neither of you is an American citizen, H1-B is the way to go. I know that married Brits who obtain the H1-B can bring their wives (and children) with them but the wife/spouse isn't allowed to work so I don't imagine that your partner would be allowed to work either (if she was even allowed to accompany you to the US when you have the H1-B).

I would suggest doing research before taking any action in finding work, otherwise it could be hard on your relationship.

I'm not an expert, just a person who's been reading this and similar US immigration newsgroups for a while.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 6:51 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

"steggy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> RichGardiner wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello, this is my first time here so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I
    > > had a scan through and couldn't see anything that covered it.
    > >
    > > I am wanting to work in US (Colorado to be precise) and am currently a UK
    > > citizen. What is, and what do i have to do to get, the appropriate VISA? Is it
    > > possible for my partner to move out there with me even though we are not married
    > > or engaged? I am a Masters degree graduate in engineering and would be working
    > > for a test centre out there. Is there some sort of skilled workers visa?

It sounds as if you would qualify for H-1B status. The prospective employer must
file a petition on your behalf with INS, and get it approved, and then you must apply
for and obtain an H-1B visa stamp at a U.S. consular post in the U.K., before you
enter the U.S. to start work. The "test centre" is probably aware that some work
must be done to get you a work visa.

> > any information would be fantastic. a friend say it is easier to go via Canada as
    > > they are less stringent. Any truth in this?

If you have a specific job offer from a U.S. employer, there is no point in traveling
via Canada.

> You need to get your future employer to "sponsor" you. Which means that employer
    > needs to make clear to the INS and others that they really need you and your skills
    > are hard to find in America. No clue, but I have seen it work.
    > Check this page, see what is most suitable for you: <
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov-
/graphics/services/visas.htm
>
    > Your partner is another story. I do not know if partners can be included in the
    > sponsorship visa. If not, she is just another individual I assume. My guess is you
    > need to get married to let that happen.

The spouse, and minor unmarried children, of an H-1B holder may obtain H-4 status.
The H-4 status holder may live in the U.S., but not be employed. A "partner" is not
eligible for H-4 status. However, in some cases, a partner may be able to get B-2
(tourist ) status for a period of time equal to the H-1B holder. For example, this
use of B-2 status is available to same-sex domestic partners. However, if the
partner is free to marry you, but is not married to you, it is not as likely that she
would qualify for the long-term tourist status.

Old Sep 14th 2002, 12:54 am
James Donovan

See if your prospective employer can sponsor you an H-1B work visa. The minimum
requirements are 4 years of college.

Good luck.

RichGardiner <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello, this is my first time here so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I
    > I am wanting to work in US (Colorado to be precise) and am currently a UK citizen.
    > What is, and what do i have to do to get, the appropriate VISA? Is it possible for
    > my partner to move out there with me even though we are not married or engaged? I
    > am a Masters degree graduate in engineering and would be working for a test centre
    > any information would be fantastic. a friend say it is easier to go via Canada as
    > Many thanks,
    > Richard

Old Sep 14th 2002, 12:56 am
James Donovan

Oh by the way your partner cannot move with you unless you marry her. And no it is
not easier to go via Canada. Who the hell told you that? Canadians are foreigners
just like you are.

RichGardiner <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Many thanks,
    > Richard