Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US Jet Lag (LHR to LAX)

UK to US Jet Lag (LHR to LAX)

Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US Jet Lag (LHR to LAX)

When you get to the other end, as others have said, get on the new local time ASAP. If /when you start to feel tired but it's too early for bedtime, and especially if it is still light, get outside for a walk, jog, Pulaski a tree...anything to wake you up. Apparently the exposure to sunlight when your body is expecting dark helps to reset the body clock.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

In 2012 I flew LHR-SAN 10 times. Fewer in 2013 - maybe six times.

I find the jetlag to be a killer. The first night I go to bed at my normal time - because that's what time it was by the time I am in the house and have checked my mail etc.

I'll then usually be awake at 12am/1am onwards. The next night I'll fall asleep on my feet at 6 or 7pm, awake at 1/2am.

And repeat for 3-4 more nights, with the times for both getting later by an hour each day.

This is with melatonin and daytime sunshine.

Friday I'm flying LHR-SAN, one way and first class....along with a multitude of reasons I can no longer physically cope with the jetlag at both ends.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point

Same as the others. I moved out here to OC 2 or so weeks ago and had no problem adjusting. Jet lag was the least of my concerns, haha! Although, I was already on an American schedule because of all the paperwork and communication an 8hour difference causes anyway.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:38 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned, try and stay up. When I was coming over 10-12 times/yr I used to always try and go out the first night so I didn't just sit around and fall asleep early. I found if I could stay up until 10.30-11 ish that did the trick and I settled right into the time zone.

Going East however is just getting harder for me (young kid adds to this!) so if anyone has tips for US to UK I'm all ears!!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Ash14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your comments! Looks like the consensus is to stay away when I get there and change my watch when I board the plane!

I'll be leaving LHR at around 11:30am arriving into LAX around 3pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:36 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

If you can plan to have some things you have to do and be somewhere for after you arrive and for a couple of days, it makes you stay awake and be aware of the time.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:43 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
As others have mentioned, try and stay up. When I was coming over 10-12 times/yr I used to always try and go out the first night so I didn't just sit around and fall asleep early. I found if I could stay up until 10.30-11 ish that did the trick and I settled right into the time zone.

Going East however is just getting harder for me (young kid adds to this!) so if anyone has tips for US to UK I'm all ears!!
I like to take a day time flight, arriving at Heathrow late evening. I found that flying to Chicago, spending the night there, catching a 9 am ish flight to LHR getting in at about 10:30 pm works well. By the time I get home, it's 12:30 - 1 am and I go to bed. I don't get nearly the jet lag I do if I take a night flight, sometimes none at all. Seems to depend on the time of year and how much daylight there is.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:17 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

I suffer badly from jetlag - can never sleep on the plane I set my watch to my destination's time when we take off and try not to worry about it. For me it takes several days to catch up.

Good luck with your move, how exciting!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

My last flight MAN - SAN I stayed up he night before, drove to the hire car drop off (risky) and boarded the mid morning flight to LA. Having a first class seat helped and after the meal I set my watch for CA time and went to sleep until just before landing.
I stayed up until 11pm and slept right through to 7am and I was perfectly adjusted to the new time in a day.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, flying West is easier than flying East, I have never flown to LAX but when I arrived in Dallas or Nashville before it was normally well into the evening so I just grabbed something to eat and stayed up until my normal bad time, I normally like to go to the Airport super early (I'm paranoid about missing flights) so I basically left my house in the middle of the night to get to the airport so I stayed up. Flying East is a killer though.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash14297
Hi all,

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the correct place. I will be moving out to California in 3 weeks time and just wondering what everyone's experience with jet lag has been and tips to avoid it.

What is the best time of day to depart the UK... Morning/afternoon/evening?

Ash
When you arrive at your destination, stay awake as long as you can. Make yourself go to bed a the normal time where you are and stay in bed until the next morning. This should make jet lag better. No matter what, you'll experience some jet lag, but you can do things to make it better.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aardvark
Same as the others. I moved out here to OC 2 or so weeks ago and had no problem adjusting. Jet lag was the least of my concerns, haha! Although, I was already on an American schedule because of all the paperwork and communication an 8hour difference causes anyway.
Aardvark

How you getting on? Give us an update.