Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US driving license

UK to US driving license

Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US driving license

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many people do register it to a relative's address, others think that it's pointless. I am on the fence. ..... If you move back to the UK you can easily get it reissued up to your 70th birthday.

When you visit the UK it is best to use your US/non-EU license anyway, because the police/courts can't put points on it.
Nice tip there. I guess I'll use both when I go to the UK to visit family, use my UK license to rent cars but if I get pulled over use my US license
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many people do register it to a relative's address, others think that it's pointless. I am on the fence. ..... If you move back to the UK you can easily get it reissued up to your 70th birthday.

When you visit the UK it is best to use your US/non-EU license anyway, because the police/courts can't put points on it.
It is illegal to renew a UK DL unless you are a UK resident. I emailed the DVLA and they quoted an EU directive saying so.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
Nice tip there. I guess I'll use both when I go to the UK to visit family, use my UK license to rent cars but if I get pulled over use my US license. .....
Nah, you have to rent using your US license (the validity of the UK is questionable anyway), but if you trip a speed camera and you have rented using your UK license, you'll get the points on your licence.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.... they quoted an EU directive saying so.
Is that still relevant after 6/23?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is that still relevant after 6/23?
It depends whether you are a Brexit or Remainer.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Also when I rented from Avis last year they wanted recent proof of address to match my license. Also if you have an accident and they find out you gave false information , the insurance may deny your claim.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
Nice tip there. I guess I'll use both when I go to the UK to visit family, use my UK license to rent cars but if I get pulled over use my US license
Originally Posted by mrken30
Also when I rented from Avis last year they wanted recent proof of address to match my license. Also if you have an accident and they find out you gave false information , the insurance may deny your claim.
Yeah... I really wouldn't recommend doing anything that would invalidate the car rental insurance.

If I rent a vehicle in the UK, I will be sure to use my US license and give my US address.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
Yeah... I really wouldn't recommend doing anything that would invalidate the car rental insurance.

If I rent a vehicle in the UK, I will be sure to use my US license and give my US address.
I have never been stopped in the UK driving a rental car, nor do I plan to be, but I wonder how the police would react if I present a US license, backed if necessary with a US PP, when I still sound like I came from Sheffield? On the plus side, at least they won't shoot me.