British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK to US driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-us-driving-license-880301/)

jambey2510 Jul 12th 2016 2:36 pm

UK to US driving license

I have a full UK driving license, and I will be moving to MO with my OH next summer. How do I get a license in the state of MO? What are the requirements? Am I allowed to drive on my UK one for a bit, if at all?

Thanks in advance!

Nutmegger Jul 12th 2016 2:45 pm

Re: UK to US driving license

The state DMV is the go-to organization for driving/auto info. Here is the link to the MO DMV:

Missouri New License Application Info | DMV.org

Pulaski Jul 12th 2016 3:00 pm

You can't switch a UK driving licence for a state drivers license, you will have to take the state required drivers ed and/or theory tests for whichever state you are living in then you have to do the road "test" (unless you're in NJ), which depends on the state, but is always much easier than the British driving test, and quite frankly is a complete joke in many states. It is no wonder that the standard of driving in the US is so appaling. You may be asked for your SSN, most states do.

You will be required to obtain a local drivers license within 10-90 days of taking up residence as defined by the state DMV (which has nothing to do with "residence" for IRS/tax, immigration, or any other purpose), depending on what the state allows. It looks like it's 30 days in MO, it certainly is to register an out of state car, though I can't immediately see the same time-frame stated for a DL. This may or may not be realistic, but so long as you have made a start on the process and are waiting for your test appointment you should be OK to drive (carefully).

Owen778 Jul 12th 2016 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12000675)
The state DMV is the go-to organization for driving/auto info. Here is the link to the MO DMV:

Missouri New License Application Info | DMV.org

No. Dmv.org is a commercial aggregator site, not the state site itself. The correct link is here: http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/

vikingsail Jul 12th 2016 3:43 pm

As Pulaski says.Note Owens caution use the correct website as a commercial website could create more problems and likely fees than it solves.

MO is fairly parochial ( I mean that in the nicest possible way) but my personal advice is to find the quietest possible DMV office you can far away from the madding crowds (think not in a city/ large urban area) and process your application there.

Pulaski Jul 12th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12000737)
.... MO is fairly parochial ( I mean that in the nicest possible way) but my personal advice is to find the quietest possible DMV office you can far away from the madding crowds (think not in a city/ large urban area) and process your application there.

I agree, I did the same in New York, far away from NYC, in the back of beyond. :)

Nutmegger Jul 12th 2016 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12000717)
No. Dmv.org is a commercial aggregator site, not the state site itself. The correct link is here: Driver Licensing

Thanks for spotting that -- speed kills! ;)

mrken30 Jul 12th 2016 6:38 pm

It appears that you need an SS number or documentation before you can apply. http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/idrequirements.pdf

If a Social Security Number has not been assigned, the applicant must present
a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding the status of
the applicant’s Social Security Number.

So maybe a trip to the local SSA first and get some form of documentation.

Pulaski Jul 12th 2016 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12000865)
.... If a Social Security Number has not been assigned, the applicant must present
a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding the status of
the applicant’s Social Security Number.

So maybe a trip to the local SSA first and get some form of documentation.

The OP already has an SSN (right at the bottom of post #1). :)

sir_eccles Jul 12th 2016 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12000868)
The OP already has an SSN (right at the bottom of post #1). :)

Still might be worth a trip to update the SSA record to reflect current status once he enters the country.

ubernathan Jul 12th 2016 7:18 pm

Don't assume you can wing the theory test. (from my experience in MA) the goal of the test is to scare the bejesus out of 17 year old boy racers. You need to know the fines and suspension times for various stupid road tricks.

Pulaski Jul 12th 2016 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ubernathan (Post 12000893)
Don't assume you can wing the theory test. (from my experience in MA) the goal of the test is to scare the bejesus out of 17 year old boy racers. You need to know the fines and suspension times for various stupid road tricks.

And odd utterly useless stuff like blood alcohol levels and the shapes of road signs - most warning signs are yellow squares balanced on their corner - but what is the warning sign that is a yellow circle, a house shape, ..... and a pennant? Which they show you without the symbols or wording that usually appears on them. :confused:

ivanidea Jul 13th 2016 1:34 pm

What does one do with the UK licence when they no longer live there? The DVLA won't let you change the address to an overseas one.

Is it acceptable to register it a a family member / friends place, just in case you need it again in the future?

Jerseygirl Jul 13th 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12001534)
What does one do with the UK licence when they no longer live there? The DVLA won't let you change the address to an overseas one.

Is it acceptable to register it a a family member / friends place, just in case you need it again in the future?

Keep it in a safe place...also keep a copy. If you move back to the UK you can get it renewed.

Pulaski Jul 13th 2016 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12001534)

Many people do register it to a relative's address, others think that it's pointless. I am on the fence. ..... If you move back to the UK you can easily get it reissued up to your 70th birthday.

When you visit the UK it is best to use your US/non-EU license anyway, because the police/courts can't put points on it. :sneaky: