Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US Drivers Licence - Illinois

UK to US Drivers Licence - Illinois

Old Jan 4th 2023, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US Drivers Licence - Illinois

** Hi - I know that each state is different so asking about Illinois specifically **

I am a new resident and need to convert my UK licence to an Illinois one for car insurance purposes, ID etc. The DMV and Secretary of State webpages are vague at best. I am trying to understand the process to avoid multiple visits to the DMV as I hear they are notorious...

Can anyone help with the process? Do I need a learners permit (I am well over 25), what tests are involved, differences from UK system, etc?

Any help/ advise is much appreciated!!
Old Jan 4th 2023, 5:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US Drivers Licence - Illinois

Originally Posted by Bruiser
** Hi - I know that each state is different so asking about Illinois specifically **

I am a new resident and need to convert my UK licence to an Illinois one for car insurance purposes, ID etc. The DMV and Secretary of State webpages are vague at best. I am trying to understand the process to avoid multiple visits to the DMV as I hear they are notorious...

Can anyone help with the process? Do I need a learners permit (I am well over 25), what tests are involved, differences from UK system, etc?

Any help/ advice is much appreciated!!
go to the IL DMV or similar site.
https://www.ilsos.gov/services/newresidentshowdoi.html

I believe most states will only exchange licenses from other US states and Canada. I had a full UK lisence. For NYC when I became resident I had to do an eye test and get a NY Lerners permit, sit a written test, watch 6+ hours of videos on drink driving and then drive out to Yonkers with a driving instructor to do the VERY a easy 10
minute practical test. Your age has no bearing on the process.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 5:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to take a road test, and probably a "written" test, which is taken on a computer. Both are ridiculously easy, and so long as you don't actually cause an accident during your road test, you will pass; US road tests are pretty much a joke.

That said, it is worth downloading the IL drivers manual (Highway Code equiv) and taking note especially of the rules about when to stop for school buses, and anything about drink-driving, as if there is any chance of you lousing-up your road or written tests, it is going to be in those areas.

Originally Posted by tht
.... I believe most states will only exchange licenses from other US states and Canada. .....
AFAIK only NJ will swap a full UK licence for a state license without doing a road test, and I am not certaim even that is still true.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 4th 2023 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2023, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks tht and Pulaski !

Useful info and reinforces what I'd heard, although the "and possibly a drive exam" on the ILSOS website is still vague. I wonder what determines these things? Not a big issue, just want to be prepared
Old Jan 4th 2023, 8:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bruiser
Thanks tht and Pulaski !

Useful info and reinforces what I'd heard, although the "and possibly a drive exam" on the ILSOS website is still vague. I wonder what determines these things? .....
Bear in mind that the web site is for newcomers to Illinois in general, and anyone arriving from another US state, or from Canada, likely won't have to take a test, though some young, recently qualified, or provisionally licensed maybe will need to take an IL road test.

But most (probably "all") people arriving from outside the US & Canada will be required to take an IL road test.

FWIW I hear some states that won't swap a British licence, will swap licenses from countries such as France or Germany, presumably because they are "drive on the right" countries.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 4th 2023 at 9:01 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2023, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved from UK to Illinois in 2021 and did following to get a local drivers license:

1. Go to DMV illinois website and book an appointment for theory test. Its a comp based (multiple choice questions) test and fairly easy to pass just based on common sense. Still take a look at Illinois rules of the road booklet’, which is freely available on dmv’s website.

2. On the day of your theory test, you can directly appear in the ‘on-road’ test right after passing ur theory. The on-road test is also easy (compared to UK test), as there no manoeuvres like 3-point turn, reverse parking etc. Just watch out for basic things like changing lanes and the STOP signs etc.

Few things to keep in mind:

- At dmv facility, they will ask you if you ve any other drivers license. If you tell them abt your UK license, you will ve to surrender it there n then.
- The biggest challenge with DMV is booking a test slot. There is a long queue for it and they have strict paper work requirements. So pay proper attention to it.

Hope this is of some help and Good luck!
Old Jan 5th 2023, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wh431
I moved from UK to Illinois in 2021 and did following to get a local drivers license:

- At dmv facility, they will ask you if you ve any other drivers license. If you tell them abt your UK license, you will ve to surrender it there n then.
Really, I'd never want to 'surrender' my UK license. It's still valid if I ever move back to the UK...
Old Jan 5th 2023, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by postbox134
Really, I'd never want to 'surrender' my UK license. It's still valid if I ever move back to the UK...
Then don’t mention it to them.
Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by postbox134
It really doesn't matter, you can just apply for a British DL to be reissued if/when you return to live in the UK. And whatever British licence you currently is no longer valid as you don't live in the UK and will expire within 10 years anyway, and cannot be reissued if you are resident outside the UK.

IOW Your current UK license is little more than a momento once you have your US state license.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2023 at 1:11 am.
Old Jan 6th 2023, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Wh431 that's exactly the info I was after.

And thanks to all the other contributors, too
Old Jan 6th 2023, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK license is a momento as Pulaski mentioned. You will also be treated like a foreigner when it comes to NHS access, as well as any kids down the line who may want to go to UK uni.

The driving standards in the US are terrible, the test is a joke (to quote P), and good luck!
Old Jan 6th 2023, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

when I took my test in Florida, I remember glancing over my shoulder as I was reversing (or backing up at they say here), I remember we were taught in England to glance over the shoulder to check blind spot. So I got a huge red cross on the score sheet for taking my eyes off the rear view mirror, and I asked 'how soon can I come back and retake it?' response was, 'oh congratulations you still passed'. My husband who took the test the same time had the identical red cross for the same reason...and still passed.
Old Jan 7th 2023, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Not much to add but for your theory test make sure you have a look over rules of the road for teen drivers i.e curfews and other restrictions. 6 of the 22 questions I had were on a section I didn't bother looking at. Common sense prevailed but it'll save you some ballache.
Keep an eye out for cancellations for the practical test, I ended up with a test within 5 days by rebooking 3 times but had to drive 2 hours to the test center for a 2 minute test consisting of 6 left turns.
To quote a regular here, out of context ..." Your Mileage May Vary"
Old Jan 7th 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by _Clueless$y$t€m_
Not much to add but for your theory test make sure you have a look over rules of the road for teen drivers i.e curfews and other restrictions. 6 of the 22 questions I had were on a section I didn't bother looking at. Common sense prevailed but it'll save you some ballache.
Keep an eye out for cancellations for the practical test, I ended up with a test within 5 days by rebooking 3 times but had to drive 2 hours to the test center for a 2 minute test consisting of 6 left turns.
To quote a regular here, out of context ..." Your Mileage May Vary"
I had a similar experience (living in the northern suburbs of NYC) when I was told that the "first available" test was three months later. Mrs P checked online for me while I was at work, and worked her way north and west across NY state until she found that I could book a test in Herkimer the following week. I took the day off for a test on the Friday and we made a long weekend of it. FWIW my test lasted about 8 minutes, driving around a residential street grid, but remarkably I was required to perform a parallel park manoeuvre (in a space big enough to park a bus ) that had not been part of the test syllabus when I passed my test in the UK.