British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK to US Drivers Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-us-drivers-licence-877526/)

SassoonGirl May 16th 2016 2:54 am

UK to US Drivers Licence

I moved to Virginia about a month ago. Not ventured to the DMV yet. Has anyone had experience of swapping a licence from the UK in the state of Virginia? do they make you retake the test or do they ever waive that and just switch it over for you?

kodokan May 16th 2016 3:09 am

Re: UK to US Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11948939)
I moved to Virginia about a month ago. Not ventured to the DMV yet. Has anyone had experience of swapping a licence from the UK in the state of Virginia? do they make you retake the test or do they ever waive that and just switch it over for you?

Here you go, from the Virginia DMV: "If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a country other than Canada, France or Germany, you may not be required to show proof of successful completion of driver education or hold a learner's permit for 30 days. However, you must pass the two-part knowledge exam, road skills test and a vision screening."

You have 60 days from becoming a resident, to get a VA license. It's usually outstandingly easy to pass the road test; for the written test, have a read of the manual online, and make sure you're fully up to date with blood alcohol levels and the rules for school buses - they always seem to ask about those.

SassoonGirl May 16th 2016 3:26 am

Thankyou, I couldn't seem to find that.
What happens if you wait longer than 60 days?

kodokan May 16th 2016 3:43 am

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11948945)

If you get stopped for anything, you'll probably get a ticket of some sort. You may also find getting insurance tricky. It's best to get it out of the way sooner rather than later.

MidAtlantic May 16th 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11948945)

You run the real risk of your insurers rejecting any claim if you do not have a valid license.

SassoonGirl May 16th 2016 1:34 pm

But if it's after the 60 days do you have to them apply via a learners permit and prove you've had time in lessons or anything like that?

Nutmegger May 16th 2016 2:04 pm

Here is the link to the Virginia DMV, why don't you read up on it all. The bottom line is, don't put off getting your state license. You never know when someone is going to plough into you . . .

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

kodokan May 16th 2016 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11949324)
But if it's after the 60 days do you have to them apply via a learners permit and prove you've had time in lessons or anything like that?

It doesn't sound like it from the quote I put, but why not give them a call to double-check? Hopefully it's a no - I've not heard of an arriving adult having to do training - and then just learn the road rules (there's usually a free app with practice tests for the multi choice questions) and drive. When I moved to AZ, I spent an evening reading the rules, then went along the next day and did the whole lot of theory, vision and road tests in under an hour. It's nothing like the timescale and stress of a UK test!

scottyvisa May 16th 2016 3:47 pm

Just got my Virginia licence, you need to visit a DMV office with your UK licence, proof of address, proof of legal residence and SSN card. Bring your passport too. It doesn't matter if you've been here more than 60 days. You can take both tests on the day (assuming you have a car to take it in). Practice for the theory on their website, it's not hard but there are some very specific questions about drink driving etc as mentioned above. The practical is a joke, drive around the block and don't crash into anything and you pass. It costs $20. My licence turned up 4 days later in the mail.

SassoonGirl May 16th 2016 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by scottyvisa (Post 11949454)
Just got my Virginia licence, you need to visit a DMV office with your UK licence, proof of address, proof of legal residence and SSN card. Bring your passport too. It doesn't matter if you've been here more than 60 days. You can take both tests on the day (assuming you have a car to take it in). Practice for the theory on their website, it's not hard but there are some very specific questions about drink driving etc as mentioned above. The practical is a joke, drive around the block and don't crash into anything and you pass. It costs $20. My licence turned up 4 days later in the mail.

That's brilliant, is the theory test similar to UK with computer and time limit and a certain percentage to pass?

Nutmegger May 16th 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11949536)
That's brilliant, is the theory test similar to UK with computer and time limit and a certain percentage to pass?

That DMV link you were given earlier tells you all about it:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

scottyvisa May 16th 2016 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl (Post 11949536)

Yep. 10/10 for the first part and I think 26/30 for the second part. There are no trick questions, for each one there is one obvious correct answer, it's 95% common sense, but you need to know the penalties and speed limits. Go through every question on the link provided 2 or 3 times and you'll be fine. The questions they ask you are a sample taken from the website, so you won't be caught by surprise. Not sure if there was a time limit, I don't recall one, but I think it took me 5 minutes.

kodokan May 16th 2016 6:12 pm

It's really, really easy, honestly. I mean, you've seen the drivers here...

And in most places, you rock up with no appointment, give it a try, and if on some outside chance you fail, simply come back the next day and try again! In AZ it cost $10 to test, and that would've covered me for three attempts if they'd been needed, over three days.

dj6372 May 16th 2016 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 11949590)
It's really, really easy, honestly. I mean, you've seen the drivers here...

And in most places, you rock up with no appointment, give it a try, and if on some outside chance you fail, simply come back the next day and try again! In AZ it cost $10 to test, and that would've covered me for three attempts if they'd been needed, over three days.

Pretty much the same in California, except I had to wait 2 weeks for a test appointment.
Just make sure you are on the insurance of the car you are taking your test in, sounds obvious, but easy to forget!
Drove around the block twice, didn't kill anyone, passed!

scottyvisa May 16th 2016 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 11949610)
Just make sure you are on the insurance of the car you are taking your test in, sounds obvious, but easy to forget!

Amazingly in Virginia they don't even ask to see insurance, just registration! Although of course you should still make sure you're insured to drive the car for obvious reasons.