Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US debt questions

UK to US debt questions

Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US debt questions

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I think it highly unlikely that a UK CCJ is in anyway enforcable in the US.
So do I.

But it's also only a few hundred bucks to file suit, so a rabid collector may well try.

Here's one from a useful link someone gave earlier. Seemed to die quite quickly. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...se-dismissed**
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

CCJ highly unlikely to be pursued on someone living abroad as the amount is minimal relative to the cost they will incur in pursuing such debts. If we are talking about going after planes or so, then yes.

They will bail the banks, don't worry!
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulpur
... i'm not sure what effect the petition to remove the CCJ will have on the 6year statute barred thing, it may reset the clock back to the start of the 6years...
Interesting point. I studied banking law (albeit about 15 years ago) and the bit I recall regarding the statute of limitations on a debt was that the debtor must not acknowledge the debt for 6 years for the liability to expire. This would then mean that things would rest on the interpretation of the word acknowledge - although the act of petitioning to have a CCJ relating to that debt removed would seem to fit the bill. I have no practical experience of the application of this so take what I have typed in this context.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
They will bail the banks, don't worry!
So the OP shouldn't worry as their debt will be covered in part by taxpayer funds and in part by the charges, fees and interest of other bank customers?

Maybe I misunderstood the point you were trying to make so feel free to clarify.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Interesting point. I studied banking law (albeit about 15 years ago) and the bit I recall regarding the statute of limitations on a debt was that the debtor must not acknowledge the debt for 6 years for the liability to expire. This would then mean that things would rest on the interpretation of the word acknowledge - although the act of petitioning to have a CCJ relating to that debt removed would seem to fit the bill. I have no practical experience of the application of this so take what I have typed in this context.
interesting point indeed, but then would the acknowledgement of the fact that there has been a CCJ raised against someone and the pursuit of getting it removed actually acknowledge the debt, or just the CCJ raised....ive no idea of the answer myself but it is quite an intruiging conundrum hehe