Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to US with baby - what do I do about formula milk?

Wikiposts

UK to US with baby - what do I do about formula milk?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US with baby - what do I do about formula milk?

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If the nutrition and the ingredients are comparable, which they are, why would you pay more? Especially since the costco brand is made by the same people who make similac.
Brand. The generic stuff is, in many cases, made in the same factory as the named brands.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
"Earth's Best" is sold in the national chain "Wholefoods"
And in your locally-owned natural foods store, which would probably appreciate your support.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim33
We are shipping stuff so could stock up
One problem... that's considered bringing dairy into the country, which is a no, no.

My mother tried and had it confiscated. I've since been told if you're with a child and it's a reasonable amount, they don't worry for the sake of the baby.

But trying to bring in boxes might not go well. Though worse case scenario, it's confiscated and you lose the cost of the formula. Up to you.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Brand. The generic stuff is, in many cases, made in the same factory as the named brands.
Most of the generic formula is made by one company, PBM something, and not by the brand manufacturers. For whatever reason the costco brand is made by Abbott Labs which owns Ross who make Similac. Yes, I really am sad enough to know that! I don't know of any other generics in baby formula that are made by the brand name companies or in the same facilities.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

If the nutrition and the ingredients are comparable, which they are, why would you pay more? Especially since the costco brand is made by the same people who make similac.
If I had had the Doctors blessing to change brands as did AnotherLimeys I might of gone with the Costco brand, but at the time I just did what I felt was best and went along with what my Doctor advised.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I *really* wouldn't worry about it too much, your baby will be almost 6 months old by the time you get here by which time you'll be starting him on solid foods anyway, he'll be more than able to cope with a change of formula at that age.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the generic formula is made by one company, PBM something, and not by the brand manufacturers. For whatever reason the costco brand is made by Abbott Labs which owns Ross who make Similac. Yes, I really am sad enough to know that! I don't know of any other generics in baby formula that are made by the brand name companies or in the same facilities.
I'm too cynical.

I see PBM won a lawsuit against the makers of Enfamil: http://www.pbmproducts.com/press.aspx?ID=310

Apparently all baby formulas have to meet an FDA nutritional minimum anyway: http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/2...enough-or.html
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim33
We move to Maryland in May with 2 children ( daughter will be 2 years and son will be 5 months). I understand you can't get the same milk formulas in US and was wondering how best make the switch for my son who will still be fully on formula? We are shipping stuff so could stock up with some or do you know if we can get any of the US brands here so I can start to make the change sooner?

Any other tips on what to take and not take with 2 young kids would be greatly appreciated. Planning to take current clothes and a few to grow into and toys.
Most of the babies where I live seem to be on a liquid called "Mountain Dew". It's a lot cheaper than regular formula and gives them lots of energy.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Most of the babies where I live seem to be on a liquid called "Mountain Dew". It's a lot cheaper than regular formula and gives them lots of energy.
Bwaaa Haaa Haa

Actually not so funny, when I worked as a nurse out in the community in the west of Scotland it really wasn't unusual to see toddlers with bottles of Irn Bru (I mean baby bottles). I think that area had a rate of about 60% dental caries by the time the children went to school.

I once visited a family where the 3yr old had a full dental extraction and I was sent to do a follow up visit. No surprise to hear that the only liquids this woman's five children were given to drink were sugary carbonated drinks. She told me that they wouldn't drink anything else
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

daft bugger, I've seen it though
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:39 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
daft bugger, I've seen it though
Yeah, I was only half joking...

http://consumerist.com/2009/02/mount...ins-teeth.html
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bad ain't it.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
One problem... that's considered bringing dairy into the country, which is a no, no.

My mother tried and had it confiscated. I've since been told if you're with a child and it's a reasonable amount, they don't worry for the sake of the baby.

But trying to bring in boxes might not go well. Though worse case scenario, it's confiscated and you lose the cost of the formula. Up to you.
I have no idea about baby forumula but not all dairy products are banned. I bring Cheshire cheese from the UK...I declare it on the customs form and have never had a problem. You are allowed to bring hard cheese into the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 19th 2010 at 5:24 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 19th 2010, 5:22 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You just need to keep an eye on the iron content
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:10 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Never had either "formula" or Mountain Dew when I was a baby, but my mother & I drank Woodward's Gripe Water by the bottleful & I've never looked back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.