British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK trained pads nurse, can I work in USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-trained-pads-nurse-can-i-work-usa-932597/)

peadsnurse May 8th 2020 9:22 am

UK trained pads nurse, can I work in USA?

Hi,
I am a UK trained paediatric nurse, I graduated 2018 and since that I have been working on PICU, but I have worked in an adult ICU temporary for about 3 months. I also hold a Nutrition and Dietetics Hons degree, which included extensive communication, anatomy, sociology etc. training.
I have been in touch with an agency who basically advised me to retrain as an adult nurse, but acknowledged that they have no experience recruiting paeds nurses.
Another agency advised that they require at least 15 theory and 45 clinical hours in all 5 areas of nursing:Medical, Surgical, paediatrics, obstetrics, psychiatry. If I have not completed all 5 areas, they would advise to contact my Nursing school to find out if they have any resources that can assist me in obtaining those additional hours that are missing.
I have been reading previous entries, other UK trained adult nurses who lacked experience from other areas. They seemed find a college in the states and completed an overseas nursing program to make up for these experiences and passed the NCLEX exam there.
I was thinking about joining an agency and do shifts in these areas, but I am not sure that would work as far as I know, NMC does not allow dual registration; aka if you are adult trained you work in adult areas, same for paediatrics and mental health.
I have also emailed the licensing board as I do not want to spend 800 pound without being sure that they will approve my application, still waiting for the answer.
Anybody has any experience in this field?

civilservant May 8th 2020 11:47 am

Re: UK trained pads nurse, can I work in USA?

There have been multiple threads on this throughout the years, might want to try a search. I know that at least one member accomplished this, but that it wasn't easy and if I recall they went through an agency and got moved from one state to the other with about 2 weeks notice.

Someone might confirm for me, but I think it was sarasotachic?

sarasota chic May 9th 2020 7:08 pm

Re: UK trained pads nurse, can I work in USA?

Highly unlikely as the US trains and licenses RNs as generalists; there's no separate licensure for pediatric RNs. In order to be eligible for RN licensure in any US state, you'll need to have (whatever number of hours the specific state requires of) classroom and clinical education in adult med-surg, OB, and psych in addition to your pediatric training. That is a requirement of every US state.
if you are dead set on the USA you would have to train as an adult RN and ensure you meet the US requirements as mentioned above.
You can find more information through the RCN.