Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Sep 12th 2016, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Hello! We're back from our trip and we have honestly had the best time! ....... We did find the weather a tad hot at times .....
"A tad hot." We told ya!

I'm glad to hear that you had a great time though.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 12th 2016 at 12:45 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 2:29 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Although I was nervous about it to start with, I really enjoyed driving out there! It's just so relaxed! Wide roads, no one seems in a major rush, and they actually let you go and get into the right lane if you've gone wrong and stuff! Very nice
Another thing I loved? Walmart!! Haha! You can literally get anything there, it's awesome!! Lol!
And the people were just all so friendly! Everyone was doting on our kids and striking up a conversation with us, so lovely! Also going out for meals was just such a great experience every time! I know they work for tips etc but the service we received literally everywhere we went was second to none! Our favourite places to eat were Babe's in Roanoke and Saltgrass in Lewisville.
We also loved visiting the Stockyards and the Dallas World Aquarium! There was just so much to do with the kids!
All in all we absolutely loved it out there and now I'm left hoping and wanting even more to move! Fingers crossed I guess...
Our family moved to Houston, TX, with a toddler & baby close to your children's ages, & I had a similar reaction, as did several Brits who came over from Blighty with their young families at the same time to work with my husband at an expanding facility.... We all were delighted with the life we found--the easy shopping, the friendly natives, the pleasant neighbourhoods, lots of friends for our kids. And Houston is even hotter than Dallas (plus a worse, more humid, heat!).... Your post brought happy back memories of all this.

It WAS a good life in many ways, when my kids were young, busy and fun. For me, some of the less delightful Texas 'realities' took a long time to register ... the gun culture, the religiosity, the sometimes-provincial attitudes, among other things that began to disturb me a bit .... For our family, TX was a wonderful place to raise little kids, but 10 years later we were ready to leave. Not looking forward to it, obviously, but ready.
Old Sep 12th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit it was odd walking through Walmart and seeing guns and rifles for sale.... Also seeing policemen with guns in their holsters.... But it bothered me less than I thought it would if that makes sense!?
Honestly, I just loved everything about it! Which is great but also kind of sad as I just really want to move over now and we won't know if this is ever gonna pan out at all.... Gonna have to take a few days or weeks to get over it for now, start prepping for Xmas etc and distract myself as much as possible lol