Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by Peekay
Pulaski are you in Texas?
Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Well his part of North Carolina is a bit like East Texas.
Originally Posted by Owen778
He is not. .....
What they said, but my property taxes PLUS my state income tax is about what I would pay in Texas for property taxes on a house like mine. Whichever state you live in, they get their taxes one way or another.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 29th 2016 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha Pulaski Why would I lie about being German?! Lol! Go native or go home, right? Haha!
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

So here I am again
What's everyone been up? What do you guys tend to do over in the U.S. with your families at the weekend? Here we tend to struggle finding stuff to do, places to go eat etc. cause everything is so expensive and/or the weather is quite rubbish.... Just wondering what family time looks like over there.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
So here I am again
What's everyone been up? What do you guys tend to do over in the U.S. with your families at the weekend? Here we tend to struggle finding stuff to do, places to go eat etc. cause everything is so expensive and/or the weather is quite rubbish.... Just wondering what family time looks like over there.
Hide from the heat and the mosquitoes

Seriously, when temps are in triple digits and the humidity turns you into a dripping mess you tend to find things to do in air conditioned buildings.

Texas is the prefect place to live from November to March in my opinion
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

During the summer months, have a house with a pool or go to one of the free toddler splash pads dotted around in parks and malls. It's realistically the only way you'll get outside with small children for more than minutes. Loads more scope in the winter - parks, camping, community events, bike rides, hiking, etc.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Peekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond reputePeekay has a reputation beyond repute

How long would you say the weather is unsuitable to be outdoor for any real length?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

So here I am again
Almost every master-planned community in the Texas suburbs has a large community pool, which is nice to take the kids to at the weekend for a couple of hours, usually not in the middle of the day though. You won't have this option until you live here, though, and when you're deciding where to live, it can be difficult to work out if the pool gets too busy at peak times.

Texas cities don't have the cultural attractions of, say, London, but they do have some reasonable science museums and art galleries, along with a few things you wouldn't get in the UK, like the Fort Worth stockyards (though visiting there in July is probably a bad idea).

Generally people try to get outdoor things done in the morning or evening, and you will see a lot of people out running or cycling at dawn and dusk.

Tripadvisor.com is probably a good place to look for suggestions, though bear in mind that the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex contains a lot of separate cities, like McKinney, Arlington, Irving and others, and their attractions are often listed separately.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peekay
How long would you say the weather is unsuitable to be outdoor for any real length?
You can probably be outside at some time almost every day, but in the middle of the summer that's often at 7am or 9pm, as it can reach 100F during the day. Some days it does get a bit cooler, though.

I'd say June to mid-September, to answer your question, but here's a graph for North Dallas you can use to answer it yourself:
https://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/D...=TX&Units=none
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Oh wow! I was hoping by the beginning of September it might cool down slightly (that's when we're visiting).... Might have to review our to-do list slightly as we have quite a few outdoorsy things on there like the Fort Worth cattle drive, zoos, the arboretum etc...
What's winter like out there? I can see it gets cooler but does it ever snow? And is Christmas as big out there as it is here? Obviously being from Germany we go all out with Christmas markets etc.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 12:26 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow! I was hoping by the beginning of September it might cool down slightly (that's when we're visiting).... Might have to review our to-do list slightly as we have quite a few outdoorsy things on there like the Fort Worth cattle drive, zoos, the arboretum etc...
What's winter like out there? I can see it gets cooler but does it ever snow? And is Christmas as big out there as it is here? Obviously being from Germany we go all out with Christmas markets etc.
Snow in South Texas is a major news event, quite rare. North up to Dallas Fort Worth still news worthy but happens every year or two. Far North Amarillo AKA panhandle annual but rarely deep or long lasting. Same for West Texas El Paso etc a bit of snow but mostly a short annoyance.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 3:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is big and Thanksgiving too, basically from Halloween onwards is quite festive. In Houston we have a 4 day nutcracker market at The NRG Center which is a lot of fun http://www.houstonballet.org/nutcracker-market/nutcracker-market-overview/

In 8 years I have seen snow twice - once there was enough to scrape together a snow ball and throw it through the basketball hoop, and once it snowed for about 10 minutes. It does get cold though and if it gets below freezing the whole place basically shuts down. Schools close, my husband gets sent home from work and sometimes the freeways and overpasses ice over, and that's just based on temperature never mind snow! The further north you go the more your chance of getting snow and you could go and actively find it. The museum in Houston actually have a snow day where I assume they make the snow and Santa visits. I am sure Dallas will have similar things.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As far south as you are in Texas, no matter how cold it is, nor if there is any snow, ice, or frost, as soon as the sun comes out, it immediately starts to feel warm and any ice or snow starts to melt. This is true even a good bit further north in NC, where, when I first moved here, I wondered why nobody was clearing their driveway in the morning. When I got back from work the answer was obvious - the afternoon sun had melted it all! And did I ever feel foolish.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 1st 2016 at 5:03 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Haha, not much different than here then! Except for the sun warming things up - that hardly even happens in the summer But to be fair, even where we are (on the south coast) snow is newsworthy... Shock horror, it's winter and there's half an inch of snow, instantly crippling the entire infrastructure lol!
Ooooh, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas.... Sounds like there's more festivities going on than over here! Love it!!
Have you all found it quite easy making friends there (and your kids)? Or did you find people are a bit "reserved" around foreigners...?
Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:00 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful in San Antonio today. A cool 84F ;-)
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Texas is the prefect place to live from November to March in my opinion
Exactly right from our experience. Since retiring in 2010 we leave Texas from March/April through to late October or early November. This year we are in England, with a cabin booked on the QM2 on November 5th.

The last few years in our town, The Woodlands, north of Houston, we usually get an email Alert that mosquitoes carrying West Nile and Dengue Fever have been found and that residents should avoid being outside at dawn and dusk, and at other times to use repellent containing DEET.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.