UK to Texas driving licence

UK to Texas driving licence

Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

RoboScot80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Texas driving licence

Hi folks,

First ever post... bare with...

So I'm moving out to Texas in the next 3 weeks and know that I can drive on my UK licence for a short period of time but what I can't appear to get a straight answer from the DMV website is, then what...?

I know that Texas does not have Licence exchange agreement with the UK (like it does with Germany for example) so I'm thinking I will have to take the Texas driving test?

Anyone got anymore info for me??

Thanks muchly
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:43 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas driving licence

Originally Posted by RoboScot80
Hi folks,

So I'm moving out to Texas in the next 3 weeks and know that I can drive on my UK licence for a short period of time but what I can't appear to get a straight answer from the DMV website is, then what...?

I know that Texas does not have Licence exchange agreement with the UK (like it does with Germany for example) so I'm thinking I will have to take the Texas driving test?

Thanks muchly
A 2 second Google found this:

TxDPS - Moving to Texas
Old Mar 4th 2015, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

RoboScot80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: UK to Texas driving licence

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
A 2 second Google found this:

TxDPS - Moving to Texas
Turns out this forum isn't as friendly as I would have thought.. Thanks for your sarcasm.

PS your link doesn't work.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

Thanks muchly
Yes, you have to take both the written and driving test. Both are easy, though it may be worth practising parallel parking if you haven't done it for a long time. Depending on where you will be living, there is sometimes over a month's wait for a test.

You will need to make sure you bring the necessary documentation to prove identity and legal residency. All of the info you need is at the DPS website, linked in BunnyGirl's post, though some of it isn't immediately obvious.

Oh, and welcome to BE!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Yes, you have to take both the written and driving test. Both are easy, though it may be worth practising parallel parking if you haven't done it for a long time. ....
Agreed, especially as you're sitting on the other side of the car and parking on the other side of the road.
..... Depending on where you will be living, there is sometimes over a month's wait for a test. ....
Bearing in mind that there is no easy way for anyone to prove when the "residency clock" starts ticking, you shouldn't find it too difficult to get all the steps completed within the 90 days that Texas allows. In the event that there is bona fide reason that you haven't got your license within 90 days, so long as you can prove that you have used your best endeavors to get a license as quickly as you can i.e. have taken the written test and already booked the road test, you should be OK if stopped by the police.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2015 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, especially as you're sitting on the other side of the car and parking on the other side of the road.
Bearing in mind that there is no easy way for anyone to prove when the "residency clock" starts ticking, you might find it difficult to get all the steps completed within the 30 (?) days that Texas allows. In practice, so long as you can prove that you have used your best endeavors to get a license as quickly as you can i.e. have taken the written test and already booked the road test, you should be OK if stopped by the police.
The link BunnyGirl provided shows that Texas allows 90 days, right near the top.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:35 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out this forum isn't as friendly as I would have thought.. Thanks for your sarcasm.

Works fine for me. And no sarcasm, just pointing out how I found it.

You're welcome, by the way...
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Works fine for me, too.

Just in case the problem is that they prevent overseas access, the relevant text says:
Moving to Texas

The following information applies to individuals who are transferring a valid out of state driver license and/or applying for a new Texas driver license/identification (ID) card.

Transferring an Out of State Driver License to Texas

An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

Prior to the end of the 90 day grace period, individuals must apply for a new Texas license in person at any driver license office to continue to drive legally. When applying for the new Texas license the individual must surrender their unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory or a Canadian province.

Adults (18 and Older)
Individuals who have a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or from Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan (the countries Texas has license reciprocity agreements with), do not have to take the knowledge or driving skills tests.

Individuals who have a valid, unexpired learner license from another U.S. state or U.S. territory, or Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan must take the driving skills test but do not have to take the knowledge test.

Individuals who have a driver license from any country other than the U.S., Canada, France, South Korea, Germany or Taiwan must take the knowledge and driving skills tests because Texas does not have reciprocity agreements with other countries.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We hand out lots of free advice and engage in a lot of very patient step-by-step hand holding and answering all sorts of questions, ..... did I mention that all this is free? Oh, and we get nothing out of it either, other than the warm fuzzy feeling we get from helping a fellow Brit make a move to the US, .... So please don't judge us too harshly for throwing in an occasional potentially-humourous quip or barbed comment!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

you will need to use something like mediahint extension to get access to the Texas DMV site.....it's only available to stateside people. Mind you, that's them being generous since I bet the Texans would like to limit anyone outside Texas .....

I live here btw.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since when have Texans needed to know how to park?

Or does it only apply in Texas?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

I can confirm that parallel parking was required when I took the test in Texas, even though I don't believe I've ever needed to parallel park here.

When I took my test in Texas the parallel parking was simply 2 cones set out in the parking lot outside the DMV. Easy enough.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:47 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The driving test varies by the mood of the instructor. You may drive around the block and return to the lot as I did, or you may have to show you know more. I don't believe there is a standardized driving portion of the test like there was in the UK.

My English accent got me smiles and admiration when I first arrived in the US, that 'charm' did not work at the DMV. I'm still receiving counseling for post traumatic stress after my first visit to the DMV almost 10 years ago.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:38 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Should be about three trucks per block, give or take.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

Mind you, that's them being generous since I bet the Texans would like to limit anyone outside Texas .....
I love the Texas attitude to the rest of the US; they are the only state that used to be their own country.
When I lived in Texas, and the few times I have visited since, I found Texans to be most welcoming. Even a toll road change taker in Austin told me to move back because "we sure did miss you" after I chatted with him and told him I used to live in Texas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.