Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK tax self assesment form

UK tax self assesment form

Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK tax self assesment form

Just finished filling out my 2008-9 UK tax self assessment form. Why they should send one I don't know, but long ago learned it wasn't worth disputing such things.

Anyway while filling it out I started wondering about the legality of the threat to impose a £100 fine if it wasn't returned by the date due. What jurisdiction do they have to fine someone who doesn't reside in the UK?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax self assesment form

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just finished filling out my 2008-9 UK tax self assessment form. Why they should send one I don't know, but long ago learned it wasn't worth disputing such things.

Anyway while filling it out I started wondering about the legality of the threat to impose a £100 fine if it wasn't returned by the date due. What jurisdiction do they have to fine someone who doesn't reside in the UK?
you have til jan anyway dont you? if you calculate it yourself?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
you have til jan anyway dont you? if you calculate it yourself?
If you do it online, which for some reason it will not let me do.

The site tells me I need to register for self assessment and then when I try and register tells me I already am. The latter being correct. Have to phone the UK to sort it out easier to just fill the form out. Funnily enough the form didn't want me to calculate if I owed anything just report my earnings and tax paid. It didn't make any sense at all.

Anyway just posted it back which has to be done by October 31st.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else on here was in a similar situation. (Discussed maybe 10 days ago?) You can do it online if you put in a UK postcode. Include your real address, and a note that the postcode is dodgy.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Someone else on here was in a similar situation. (Discussed maybe 10 days ago?) You can do it online if you put in a UK postcode. Include your real address, and a note that the postcode is dodgy.
I have an account to log into online. It tells me I need to register for self assessment and when I try to register says I already am registered.

Not worth the hassle of trying to sort out as when I get citizenship in a few months time, it will remove the only item the UK can tax me on to it being taxed in the US. Any forms they send me then will be returned with a note explaining we fought for the right not to be taxed by the British in 1776 and I've gone over to the enemy.