Reload this Page >

UK tax residency rules

UK tax residency rules

Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Neillc37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK tax residency rules

Hi,
I have lived in the US for over twenty years. I have no home in the UK. I have no income in the UK. I am a dual US/UK national.
My father is sick and I may have to spend some extended time in the UK to help out etc. At first I looked at the tax residency rules and could see there were limits on the number of days I could spend there. We don't go to the UK every year but every few years.
This morning I realized the tax treaty might modify this and it looks like it does.
The tie-breaker rules would seem to override the number of days I could be present there without being a tax resident. Having my permanent home in the US as well as all my assets there beyond some trivial pension pots in the UK would make me a resident of the US.
I want to avoid hassles with my portfolio in the US (I am retired) if I spend say a month this year and a month or two next year staying with my parents.
Does this match others understanding of the situation?
Thanks.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax residency rules

Yes, you're well within the safe zone if you spend a month or two in the UK each year, under the circumstances you describe.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic0012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well based on what you have written it doesn't appear like you have any ties to the U.K. under the statutory residence test so you would need to stay over 183 days for you to trigger dual status tax residency.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominic0012
Well based on what you have written it doesn't appear like you have any ties to the U.K. under the statutory residence test so you would need to stay over 183 days for you to trigger dual status tax residency.
That sounds about right to me also.