Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk tax rebate

uk tax rebate

Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:08 pm
Tim

magilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to beholdmagilla442 is a splendid one to behold
Default uk tax rebate

i emmigrated in feb, and i know i am entitled for a tax rebate back in blighty for the work i did up until leaving, anyone have any clue of how i can get it?
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:18 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk tax rebate

File an online tax return and have the refund paid into your bank account.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

piece of piss, just contact the inland revenue, takes a few weeks, and your sorted....and get the forms online....also shoudl fill in P85 to let them know you ain't a UK resident.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magilla442
i emmigrated in feb, and i know i am entitled for a tax rebate back in blighty for the work i did up until leaving, anyone have any clue of how i can get it?
Yes, easy to do - contact the revenue and get it sorted.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magilla442
If you dont mind me asking, how do you know this?

If you leave in the middle of a tax yr, then you are only entitled to a preportion of your ANNUAL tax-free limit.

Of course if you were to "leave the country" say 4 April, but stop working on say 2 Feb, you would be entitled to an extra 2/12s of your annual tax-free limit....if that makes sense.

A rebate is always nice
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

If you leave in the middle of a tax yr, then you are only entitled to a preportion of your ANNUAL tax-free limit.
depends on how much he earned in the time don't it...I got a full tax refund on my earnings as a temp while I was back in the UK waiting for my visa...
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK in Feb 2000 and applied in March, all I got back was about 500 quid, I had payed an absolute fortune in that year...... I also had to agree not to register for work in the UK for 7 years, but holidays were fine.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:51 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Of course if you were to "leave the country" say 4 April, but stop working on say 2 Feb, you would be entitled to an extra 2/12s of your annual tax-free limit....if that makes sense.

A rebate is always nice
Wrong.
You are entitled to the full allowance as you worked for part of the tax year - it is not divied up pro-rata.
The only thing is that you have to undertake to remain out of the country for the whole of the following tax year too otherwise there may be ramifications.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:52 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I left the UK in Feb 2000 and applied in March, all I got back was about 500 quid, I had payed an absolute fortune in that year...... I also had to agree not to register for work in the UK for 7 years, but holidays were fine.
The 500 quid may be right as you would only have had a months worth of your allowance left over - i left in july last year and pretty much got back all the tax i had previously paid
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:30 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
also shoudl fill in P85 to let them know you ain't a UK resident.
I've never heard of this before. Is this something that most of you Brits expats have filed? Should Mark do this?? What are the advantages/disadvantages? And where would we find this form online?

TIA...

~ Jenney
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The 500 quid may be right as you would only have had a months worth of your allowance left over - i left in july last year and pretty much got back all the tax i had previously paid
OH ! .......... I was misled then.

When I was told I could get my tax back for that tax year I understood it ran from April to April.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I've never heard of this before. Is this something that most of you Brits expats have filed? Should Mark do this?? What are the advantages/disadvantages? And where would we find this form online?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

There won't be anyone giving you grief for not doing it, but if your a Brit and aren't resident, you really should fill it in, the link above gives info and link to the form. Basically it lets the inland revenue know that your no longer living in the UK so don't have to pay UK taxes on any UK income, and also makes it easier to prove your eligible for postal votes.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:01 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
OH ! .......... I was misled then.

When I was told I could get my tax back for that tax year I understood it ran from April to April.
That's right, but you aren't automatically entitled to all your tax back simply cos you're moving away.
What you do get back is any tax you have overpaid.
Now if before you left you were employed and paying your tax via PAYE your tax free allowance is spread out over the year for you automatically. Not being in the UK for part of Feb and March means that you won't have been able to use the allowance allocated to this period and so the revenue will let you claim back the unused allowance against your other earnings for the year.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

There won't be anyone giving you grief for not doing it, but if your a Brit and aren't resident, you really should fill it in, the link above gives info and link to the form. Basically it lets the inland revenue know that your no longer living in the UK so don't have to pay UK taxes on any UK income, and also makes it easier to prove your eligible for postal votes.
Thanks for the link and explanation -- I'll look into it.

~ Jenney