Reload this Page >

Uk Tax... Please help !

Uk Tax... Please help !

Old Apr 17th 2021, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Anniesecrest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Tax... Please help !

Hi,
Another question I figure has been asked before and I apologise for that.... but... can someone help..
i have been here in the US now for 2 years..
When I left I informed the Tax office etc etc.
I receive (into my English account) 2 military pensions (war widows and both are tax free) and a monthly rent for my property... again I informed the Tax office I wasn’t living in the UK and I have a Tax very saying I am exempt from paying tax in England for it.. today, I received a £100 penalty notice because I haven’t sent in a tax return ?
I wasnt asked for one last year?
so.... should I be having to a) pay any tax in England
b) why have they suddenly sent me a tax return request ?...Sny hell would be grateful
Old Apr 17th 2021, 6:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Tax... Please help !

Hi, welcome to BE.

Is the property you rent out in the UK? If so, then yes to both I’m afraid. https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

HTH.
Old Apr 17th 2021, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

You are required to file annual UK self-assessment tax returns each year reporting income & expenses. You will also be reporting the income and claiming the same expenses - plus depreciation - each year on your annual US income tax returns.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Lewis45 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are classed as a non-resident landlord. If you have a letting agent managing your property normally they should deduct any tax from the rental income before paying you, and file a self assessment tax return on your behalf.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis45
You are classed as a non-resident landlord. If you have a letting agent managing your property normally they should deduct any tax from the rental income before paying you, and file a self assessment tax return on your behalf.
You can also apply to have UK rental income paid without deduction of UK tax, look up form NRL1, and then you pay any tax due at the end of the year when you submit your self assessment. This is preferred option for many overseas landlords, because if you are are British Citizen you still get your annual UK tax allowance, which means if you net profit (rent less allowable costs) is less than the annual allowance you have no UK tax to pay.

Note: A letting agent completing a self assessment on your behalf seems very odd to me, I would not want to share the rest of my UK financial information with a letting agent to allow them to submit my self assessment - but each to their own!
Old Apr 26th 2021, 9:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Note: A letting agent completing a self assessment on your behalf seems very odd to me, I would not want to share the rest of my UK financial information with a letting agent to allow them to submit my self assessment - but each to their own!
I've never heard of that either, and I don't even think they'd be allowed to? They're not mentioned on the list of 'authorised persons' that you can nominate to deal with HMRC on your behalf, unlike an accountant etc.