Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to be taken out of VWP

UK to be taken out of VWP

Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:59 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK to be taken out of VWP

I'm watching Sky News and it's just been reported that the UK will no longer be part of the VWP and that all tourists will require a visa. Apparently it's also being reported in tomorrow's press.

Anyone else heard anything about this?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to be taken out of VWP

Originally posted by sibsie
I'm watching Sky News and it's just been reported that the UK will no longer be part of the VWP and that all tourists will require a visa. Apparently it's also being reported in tomorrow's press.

Anyone else heard anything about this?
surely you jest!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:07 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I just found out more details from The Telegraph. It only applies to passports issued after October this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sibsie
I just found out more details from The Telegraph. It only applies to passports issued after October this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html
according to this it's not as bad as the original poster had stated.. it's just a temporary requirement due to not having biometric passports

The UK is NOT being pulled out of the VWP
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:16 am
C.G.D.S

I realise that now. I just wish Sky would stop saying "British visitors now require a visa to visit US".

It'll still cause a few probs as the new style passports won't be available in time if you need to get yours renewed.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:21 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I reading that article right? If my brother in Edinburgh wants to come visit me in the states and he doesnt have a passport he has to (after getting his passport) :-

Travel 600 miles down to London
Be fingerprinted, photographed and bloody interviewed?
Chaos doesnt even begin to describe what is going to happen :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Tony

The U.S. Consulate General, Edinburgh, Scotland
Further information: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/scotland/
Principal Officer: Cecile Shea

Address Consulate General
3 Regent Terrace
Scotland, EH7 5BW

Phone [44] (0)131 556-8315

Fax [44] (0)131 557-6023

Hours of
Operation All offices are closed on Saturday, Sunday, and American and British and Scottish Holidays.
8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. for phone inquiries ONLY; 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.for phone inquiries and personal appointments

hope thats saves your bro a train ticket
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

How is an expat supposed to get this new "biometric" passport if it requires a fingerprint?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Tony

The U.S. Consulate General, Edinburgh, Scotland
Further information: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/scotland/
Principal Officer: Cecile Shea

Address Consulate General
3 Regent Terrace
Scotland, EH7 5BW

Phone [44] (0)131 556-8315

Fax [44] (0)131 557-6023

Hours of
Operation All offices are closed on Saturday, Sunday, and American and British and Scottish Holidays.
8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. for phone inquiries ONLY; 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.for phone inquiries and personal appointments

hope thats saves your bro a train ticket

I was SOOOO happy to see this........til I checked it out

From the website

"The U.S. Consulate in Edinburgh does NOT process any type of immigrant or non-immigrant visas"

For me that would be a 900 mile trip! (although if I was doing it for the H visa I'd walk it bare foot

)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:21 am
C.G.D.S

It's going to be a real pain the arse for a lot of people and scupper tourism.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:00 am
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this mean for people who havent yet got a passport or only had one since October, or for those who have renewed their passports since October too?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:08 am
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by crazi_daizi
Does this mean for people who havent yet got a passport or only had one since October, or for those who have renewed their passports since October too?
The way I read it is that the new policy comes into effect this October and that all passports issued after then, whether new or renewed will have to be machine readable. The UK won't have that system set up in time therefore the US is requiring them to have a visa in order to enter the US.

Basically the US is ending the automatic right to enter and all visitors will have to have had biometric testing. This applies to all 27 VWP countries. The UK are lobbying the US goverment to delay this but it's not likely to be successful. If you have a passport issued before OCTOBER 26 2004 you can still enter under VWP as normal.

However when you go to renew your passport it will have to be either a visa or the new biometric passport.

Another new bizarre rule that's just been announced is that NO PASSENGERS on flights will be allowed to queue for the loos once the plane is over American airspace.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
I was SOOOO happy to see this........til I checked it out

From the website

"The U.S. Consulate in Edinburgh does NOT process any type of immigrant or non-immigrant visas"

For me that would be a 900 mile trip! (although if I was doing it for the H visa I'd walk it bare foot

)
The only place in the UK where you can currently process a visa is the London Embassy. Been there, done that when I was in Glasgow. I went through the exact same reaction back then when I saw there was a consulate in Edinburgh "Oh, great.....awww shucks!"
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Typical gung-ho yank attitude to the problem.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:56 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Sibsie
Another new bizarre rule that's just been announced is that NO PASSENGERS on flights will be allowed to queue for the loos once the plane is over American airspace.
How on earth are they gonna possibly enforce that?
That's the premium time for going to the loo as far as I'm concerned cos for starters, after a eight and a half/nine hour flight, you wanna freshen up and secondly, you don't know how long it's gonna take you to get out of immigration when you've landed.
What about kiddies, old folks and those who just can't go half an hour without peeing?
Besides, with the three hour or so wait once you've landed and they're searching the plane for someone who might or might well not be dodgy, they'd have a lot of wet seats!!

I really can't see that happening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.