Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Student Nurse wants to move to florida

UK Student Nurse wants to move to florida

Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Dreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Student Nurse wants to move to florida

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My daughter lived with us for 5+ years in Singapore so went on lots of trips in SE Asia/Oz/NZ, went to boarding school in England for her 'A' levels and then took a Gap Year, spending a few months in India before going to uni and is a qualified Occupational Therapist, working for the NHS.

You could perhaps take a Graduate Gap Year and work for an NGO in a developing country....
It's nice that you could provide all those trips for your daughter. But unlike her.. my parents couldn't afford to pay for me to go all over the world. I've come straight from my a levels and gone into nursing, I basically do it all on my own, I don't live at home. An NGO isn't that a voluntary programme? That you usually pay to go on? That's not what I want right now. Maybe later on yeah. But I'd rather get a job, and get a house etc and I don't see the problem in me trying to get into the states. It's no different than taking a gap year and travelling else where for instance NZ.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamanddoit
Hi everyone,
I'm currently a second year student nurse with hopes of moving to the Englewood/port Charlotte area in Florida once I qualify. ......
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Why this specific area? Probably narrowing your already very slim chances.
A very fair question and one I was thinking about myself. ..... I wonder if the OP has family or a romantic interest in the area?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Dreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond reputeDreamanddoit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A very fair question and one I was thinking about myself. ..... I wonder if the OP has family or a romantic interest in the area?
No love interest or family. Its just the area of florida I like the most. Id like a place on the rotonda ideally but again that may not be possible!
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No love interest or family. Its just the area of Florida I like the most. I'd like a place on the rotonda ideally but again that may not be possible!
As has been said, you making it to the US at all is already a long shot. Work on making it to your preferred area of Florida ten years after you arrive (anywhere) in the US with a work visa.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it's questions like..
What's the usual nurse to patient ratio? I know most days where I'm on placement its one nurse and one health care assistant to 10 patients.. Which is t great!
How does she like it eg working conditions, breaks etc. do your employers actually support you?
Would she says the wages are fair? I know I will have a salary aroun £21500 when i qualify.
Just the general working environment, work stress etc?
Anything she would like to share really... I know nothing about working over there, only what it's like here.
I have no personal experience but based on the nurses I know, they do it basically because they feel strongly about helping people and believe in the profession. They don't do it for breaks, good patient to nurse ratio, good pay and good employers. Can you get a job that gives you breaks, a low stress environment, good hours, good pay and good treatment? I'm sure you can. Is that the standard? Not from what I've heard, especially starting out.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see: last year, before HR realised wifey was an experienced RN, she was offered about $23/hr (almost double now but that's for 18 years of experience in ICU/cardio/CCN). Her hours are nominally 7-7:30 but she never leaves before 8, more often 8:30 or later. Ratios in ICU are 2:1 patient:nurse (1:1 in UK), 3:1 in DOU (2:1 for HDU in UK which is broadly equivalent). Some states don't even have limits on ratios. Plenty of vacancies, but only for experienced nurses - new grads find it more difficult to find a job. Paid holiday/vacation time is done in hours but I think works out to about 2 weeks taking into account shift patterns.

The nursing agencies will, of course, promise the world (and a visa) but will actually provide very little.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice that you could provide all those trips for your daughter. But unlike her.. my parents couldn't afford to pay for me to go all over the world. I've come straight from my a levels and gone into nursing, I basically do it all on my own, I don't live at home. An NGO isn't that a voluntary programme? That you usually pay to go on? That's not what I want right now. Maybe later on yeah. But I'd rather get a job, and get a house etc and I don't see the problem in me trying to get into the states. It's no different than taking a gap year and travelling else where for instance NZ.
Re bolded: no. Not necessarily.

But I agree. It won't get you to the U.S.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice that you could provide all those trips for your daughter. But unlike her.. my parents couldn't afford to pay for me to go all over the world.
Where did Englishmum say that they paid for their daughter's gap year?

My parent didn't pay for me to go all over the world, I did it myself by working 3 jobs, 17 or so hours a day. Not sure why you think that somebody travelling around the world must be funded by the bank of Mum & Dad!
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

My parent didn't pay for me to go all over the world, I did it myself by working 3 jobs, 17 or so hours a day. Not sure why you think that somebody travelling around the world must be funded by the bank of Mum & Dad!
I made an assumption my bad. As for you having a job good for you. I couldn't get a job because 1. I was in full time education and 2. When I wasn't in school I was looking after my disabled grandad, with numerous medical condition. In fact.. There were many days I had off school just so I could take care of him, he needed help to eat, couldn't do anything for himself and suffered with dementia and epilepsy among others. So maybe I didn't have time for a job because I was busy looking after my family. And he experienced some really shit nursing care hence why I want to become a nurse. So forgive me for not getting a job and going straight to uni.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I have no personal experience but based on the nurses I know, they do it basically because they feel strongly about helping people and believe in the profession. They don't do it for breaks, good patient to nurse ratio, good pay and good employers. Can you get a job that gives you breaks, a low stress environment, good hours, good pay and good treatment? I'm sure you can. Is that the standard? Not from what I've heard, especially starting out.
Im not suggesting thats the only reason for being a nurse. I can assure you, if you didnt want to be a nurse you wouldnt be doing the course. Its extremely hard going. Im actually very passionate as to why I what to be a nurse. Im not saying I'm going to find it. I was just interested in what it was like in the states as opposed to here. Theres many days I dont get breaks and I stay way past the end of my shift to help out my patients.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

As you rightly say the NHS does pay for your degree.. However, we do work throughout the degree with all the placement, we work full time as well as attending university full time. We don't get paid for any of this work, we don't get paid any extra to do nights, weekends, or unsocial hours. So in effect you do get your money's worth. I'll potentially do two years post qualification work here yes. But in reality if I was your child would you stop me doing my dream? Would you turn around to your child and say no.. Don't live your life, don't travel, don't try anything different. Stay here.
I've also not said I'm definitely going to do this, I don't see the problem in someone having options and looking into this in advance.
I'm also a second year nursing student (well, actually I've finished second year but deferred third year). I work full time during my clinical placements nursing, unpaid of course. During the year when not on clinical placement I also work full time in a hospital as a secretary. Oh, and I also study full time during that time. Work from 6:45 am (leave home at 5:45) to 4:00 pm then uni for a good 3 or 4 hours most evenings. Weekends during the academic year are usually spent writing papers.
I made an assumption my bad. As for you having a job good for you. I couldn't get a job because 1. I was in full time education and 2. When I wasn't in school I was looking after my disabled grandad, with numerous medical condition. In fact.. There were many days I had off school just so I could take care of him, he needed help to eat, couldn't do anything for himself and suffered with dementia and epilepsy among others. So maybe I didn't have time for a job because I was busy looking after my family. And he experienced some really shit nursing care hence why I want to become a nurse. So forgive me for not getting a job and going straight to uni.
Couldn't get a job because you were in full time education? Sorry, darling but about 70% of the people in my classes work full time. The majority of the rest work part time. Mind you, we are for the most part mature students who are also raising kids so maybe we just have more experience of doing more than one thing at once.

Maybe you could take a little bit of advice from someone who is old enough to be your mother. Ask politely for the advice you seek then thank those who have been kind enough to offer it whether the advice you get is what you want to hear or not.

And just one last little thing...I'm paying for my education myself. There is no NHS sponsored nursing degree in Australia. I'm also a single income earner, so taking large chunks of time off for placement is very difficult but needs must and all.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Couldn't get a job because you were in full time education? Sorry, darling but about 70% of the people in my classes work full time. The majority of the rest work part
When I said full time education I meant when I was doing my A levels.. where did I say I didn't have a job since being at uni?

I'm not trying to be rude but some people have been helpful. And I've thanked them for that, all I was doing was asking some questions with regards to moving to florida. That was it. But clearly there's a problem with that. So thanks for not helping and just having ago for actually no apparent reason.
You're doing your course differently fine. It's different for you.

All I wanted was a little advise but apparently that's not what this forum is for. It's for people to say what they want and what their opinions are of others without knowing anything about their personal situations.

Nice to know everyone is so friendly. Won't be asking for advise again, especially from this site.

Thanks again to all those who were actually helpful.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

To be fair, if you read Englishmum's post it does imply a timeline of: living with parents for 5+ years with various trips around Asia, then A levels followed by the gap year.

I also assumed that the assorted trips were whilst the daughter was still a minor and therefore funded by parents, so I understand how the OP came to the same conclusion.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Im doing the adult nurse degree, which does mean I have to cover the areas of mental health, child, maternity and learning disability. But this is covered by 4 essays etc and not many clinical hours in these areas at all. Being an adult nurse and with the placements I've been given, ive probably got more clinical hours related to these kind of patients than my counter parts, but clinical hours are just clinical hours and arent broken down into categories as such.
Clinical hours must be broken down and shown separately in your transcripts. The state BON will want to see that your clinical and theory hours meet their requirements. Also I have seen many UK adult trained nurse not meet requirements for Obstetrics and Paeds.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know someone who came out on a H1b but I think she was well advanced, for some reason I think Matron level.

Anyway the Nurses I know seem to do much better, six fogure s not impossible, but more specialised perhaps.

Advert for farmersonly.com just on, is there a nursesonly.com?

Without a visa option all is moot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.